Directv DVR Newbie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

segaszivos

Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Greetings people.

I have been very interested in purchasing a DVR for my already existing directv service. The issue that I have is that I don't feel too keen about the 2-year contract that directv forces its DVR subscribers into. Is it possible for me to purchase my own DVR from a vendor and hook it up to my satellite box without entering the $5/month contract?

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

- segaszivos

I've been reading a little more on directv's website. I currently have the total choice plus package. Does that mean that if I were to get a DVR that my service would be free? I don't want to be nickeled and dimed by directv...

Well if thats the case, what are my options? Rent a DVR from directv for 2-years for $99 or purchase my own DVR and request directv to start the DVR service?

- segaszivos

There is no way to "purchase your own DVR" to get out of the 2 year commitment (other then brow beating a CSR). All receivers activated since March 2006 are leased and require a commitment. Doesn't matter if you pay DirecTV $99 or Best Buy $99, it's still leased.

Your only possible way out might be to buy a receiver off eBay *that wasn't leased in the first place by the seller* and then work really hard playing CSR roulette to not only get it activated as owned but with no commitment. Good luck on that.

Well....... Actually...

There is no way to "purchase your own DVR" to get out of the 2 year commitment (other then brow beating a CSR). All receivers activated since March 2006 are leased and require a commitment. Doesn't matter if you pay DirecTV $99 or Best Buy $99, it's still leased.

Your only possible way out might be to buy a receiver off eBay *that wasn't leased in the first place by the seller* and then work really hard playing CSR roulette to not only get it activated as owned but with no commitment. Good luck on that.

Directv still does sell "owned" receivers. You just have to pay the actual cost of the receiver. For a DVR i think it is around $350 for the owned receiver, and that doesn't come with any commitments.

You have to specifically asked for the "owned" offers in order to get it or atleast say you don't want to lease you want to own. There are always options....

Crazy

The "own" price for the HR20 is $749.
But why would you do that? Owned or leased it still costs $4.99 a month on your account. Being leased if it breaks then they will replace it. You own it and it breaks you're buying a new one yourself.

So to own it you are basically tossing $450+ down the drain.

But to each his own...

The issue that I have is that I don't feel too keen about the 2-year contract that directv forces its DVR subscribers into.

Remember, you can always dump out early, just need to pay a prorated early cancellation fee based on how much is left on your contract.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)