directv eliminating standard receivers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
What is DirecTV going to use the 101 KU satellite for once they remove all the MPEG2 SD feeds from it?

According to something someone dug up from one of the companies making dishes for RVs, some of the HD channels will move to 101. Since that would leave a lot of unused transponders on 99/103, I'm hoping that when they do this they "spread things out" - i.e. fewer HD channels per transponder - so we get better PQ. But we'll have to wait and see if that's the case.

According to something someone dug up from one of the companies making dishes for RVs, some of the HD channels will move to 101. Since that would leave a lot of unused transponders on 99/103, I'm hoping that when they do this they "spread things out" - i.e. fewer HD channels per transponder - so we get better PQ. But we'll have to wait and see if that's the case.

What would make sense is to move the channels that are consider "basic cable" over to 101 then offer a "basic cable" KU only package for those situations (like RV's and boats) where only KU can be used.

"basic cable" = channels like, TBS, TNT, Spike, SyFy, HGTV, E!, USA, FX, Comedy, Lifetime, AMC, A&E, History, TLC, Animal Planet, Disney, Nick, Cartoon Net, WGN, Freeform, Hallmark. CMT.

Reactions: Jimbo
Satellites are bent pipes. They send down whatever they receive. Within bandwidth constraints.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

wont the feeds on 101 in mpeg2 be moved to diff sats when they change to mpeg4?

wont the feeds on 101 in mpeg2 be moved to diff sats when they change to mpeg4?

The old DSS/MPEG-2 feeds will be gone, they won’t be moved. They are doing away with them to use the bandwidth more efficiently. Nothing will work but the H20 and above that can decode MPEG-4. Probably some more feeds will go HD, some will stay SD but convert to MPEG-4.

Reactions: raoul5788
The old DSS/MPEG-2 feeds will be gone, they won’t be moved. They are doing away with them to use the bandwidth more efficiently. Nothing will work but the H20 and above that can decode MPEG-4. Probably some more feeds will go HD, some will stay SD but convert to MPEG-4.

thats what i was trying to say

the ones going to mpeg4.

why will they not be on 101?

What would make sense is to move the channels that are consider "basic cable" over to 101 then offer a "basic cable" KU only package for those situations (like RV's and boats) where only KU can be used.

"basic cable" = channels like, TBS, TNT, Spike, SyFy, HGTV, E!, USA, FX, Comedy, Lifetime, AMC, A&E, History, TLC, Animal Planet, Disney, Nick, Cartoon Net, WGN, Freeform, Hallmark. CMT.

Nobody really knows for sure what channels they will move to 101. What you say makes sense - move the most popular channels to 101 so they can construct a package designed for boats/RVs that have 101 only. But nobody (including the KVH, where that document originated) knows what Directv's plan is yet. Maybe Directv hasn't even made a final decision yet, who knows.

thats what i was trying to say

the ones going to mpeg4.

why will they not be on 101?

They may or may not be, but why would they leave them on 101? The channels are currently MPEG2 SD only that will become MPEG4 SD after the transition are all less popular channels, there are no broadly popular channels left that are only available in SD. Why would they want put niche channels on 101, when it is 'prime real estate' for many boat/RV owners who don't want to spend $$$ upgrading to a KaKu capable dish?

All residential customers will have been upgraded to a Slimline by the time this happens, so they won't know or care whether the SD channel they used to watch off 101, 119, or 95 moves to 99 or 103.

101 will be used, but mpeg2 encoding will not. Standard receivers/dvrs only work with mpeg2. HD receivers/dvrs are mpeg4.

So I guess what will happen is that their will be no duplicate channels at all and their will be still be SD channels that have no HD version but they will be MPEG 4 SD? If so are they going to do anything to address HD being more prone to bad weather if this is the case?

Highly unlikely. the :weather problem is linked to the signal frequncy so MPEg-4 SD signal would be just as susceptible as HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)