DirecTV equipment question - exploring my options

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ganthet

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
I'm currently a Dish subscriber and am nearing the end of my 24-mo contract and price lock. I'm slightly annoyed by the HBO dispute and am always looking to reduce expenses so it seems prudent to at least check out DirecTV's offers.

My current setup:
1 Hopper 3 (connected to 4KTV)
1 4K Joey (connected to 4KTV)
3 FireTV sticks for casual viewing in bedrooms/office (all 3 standard HDTV)

My questions:
Is the HS17 the standard install now?
Can the clients connect via ethernet? (I've got cat5e and coax to all TV locations)
Will my 3 casual TV's require the client, or does DTV have an equivalent app?
Do the DTV DVR's have any OTA capability?
Do the DTV DVR's have any apps like youtube or Netflix?
Does DTV have a place-shifting features like DishAnywhere?

Thanks for any help provided.

Is the HS17 the standard install now? No it is not
Can the clients connect via ethernet? (I've got cat5e and coax to all TV locations) No Coax only or wireless
Will my 3 casual TV's require the client, or does DTV have an equivalent app? yes on a client there is no app
Do the DTV DVR's have any OTA capability? Yes but the old OTA adapter is hard to find. a new one is being tested but no full release yet
Do the DTV DVR's have any apps like youtube or Netflix? no
Does DTV have a place-shifting features like DishAnywhere? I dont think so

you have 5 rooms and 16 tuners
the hs17 is the only free install
an hr24 is 199, and h25 is 99

directv cannot match your current setup for free (you ahve 16 tuners)

you need to evaluate how many tuners will be in use live and recording at any time to see what need

if directv dos the install they will run a coax to each mini, its the official install method, not ethernet

Well the clients CAN connect via cat5, but this isn't supported by Directv and the installer won't install it that way - you'd probably have to hire a third party installer to get around that. You'd need a DECA to bridge from ethernet to coax to plug into the coax port on the client.

Thanks for the responses. I haven't been a DTV customer since 2006 and have not really paid attention to their equipment. My GF has DTV though and since my contract is about up I figured it's worth at least looking into.

Overall I'm happy with my Dish equipment. I'm sure I can work something out with Dish to keep my bill from jumping up too much. Still, I always like to keep my options open.

Is the HS17 the standard install now? No it is not
Can the clients connect via ethernet? (I've got cat5e and coax to all TV locations) No Coax only or wireless
Will my 3 casual TV's require the client, or does DTV have an equivalent app? yes on a client there is no app
Do the DTV DVR's have any OTA capability? Yes but the old OTA adapter is hard to find. a new one is being tested but no full release yet
Do the DTV DVR's have any apps like youtube or Netflix? no
Does DTV have a place-shifting features like DishAnywhere? I dont think so
From seeing the D* installers around town that I work with, I wouldn't say that the HS17 is the Standard now, but I would say that theres More HS17's going in than HR54s ...
I think they are leaning that way if the sub doesn't know any difference ...
If your a New sub with no previous history with them I would bet that you would get a HS17 85% of the time ...
That said, it also depends on what they are shipping to whatever warehouse district your in.

Last edited:
Reactions: comp9
I'm currently a Dish subscriber and am nearing the end of my 24-mo contract and price lock. I'm slightly annoyed by the HBO dispute and am always looking to reduce expenses so it seems prudent to at least check out DirecTV's offers.

My current setup:
1 Hopper 3 (connected to 4KTV)
1 4K Joey (connected to 4KTV)
3 FireTV sticks for casual viewing in bedrooms/office (all 3 standard HDTV)

My questions:
Is the HS17 the standard install now?
Can the clients connect via ethernet? (I've got cat5e and coax to all TV locations)
Will my 3 casual TV's require the client, or does DTV have an equivalent app?
Do the DTV DVR's have any OTA capability?
Do the DTV DVR's have any apps like youtube or Netflix?
Does DTV have a place-shifting features like DishAnywhere?

Thanks for any help provided.
Just got my February bill and it raised by about $8. El_Viejo Besides the Feb raise, they raised the protection package about 6 months through the year.

Just got my February bill and it raised by about $8. El_Viejo Besides the Feb raise, they raised the protection package about 6 months through the year.
Prices don't change in the middle of the year, just the typical Feb/March time frame ...
If your promotions dropped of sometime during the year, thats different.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)