DirecTV formally announces Wireless Genie Mini Client

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
...and why is this news? It's been available for a while now..

It has been out for about a month nationally, and longer in some test markets.

Today they announced the formal release as they are going to start advertising it for the first time.
Here is a link to the commercial they are going to start airing:

http://youtu.be/rIFWFPcERJE

$99 upgrade on a new install versus the free wired client.
$199 upgrade for existing customers (though they may have account specific discounts to offer it for $99)

Had a short conversation with some of the DirecTV marketing and engineering team the other day about the wireless genie, here are a few interesting points:

Any wireless install uses the wireless video base, which is best to be installed near where the wireless clients will generally be used and away from other wireless devices (like routers).
The wireless video base will be hardwired to the SWM network via coax, but does not need to be near the Genie receiver, it is best placed in a central location to the wireless clients.
A wireless video base can support up to 3 wireless clients.

On unique installs they can use multiple wireless video bases, but that should be rare.

Wireless client performance is "very close" to that of a C41. There is a slight lag, but that is true of any of the clients. They were very aggressive to minimize any noticeable difference.

They tested it in houses as large as 7,000 square feet, it is designed to work in most residential environments as long as the installer considers where the base it put.
Some construction will be a natural block to the wireless signal, like stucco walls or similar construction with metal in them.
These type of things will mostly prevent use from outside a building depending on the construction of the building.

In most situations a wireless video base on a central floor will support devices on different floors (like a basement or second story), if the wireless video base is well placed in relation to the wireless clients.

Attachments

• 1397166216147.jpg
    1397166216147.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 256
The black dude talks like Dave Chappelle in the commercial:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

What the hell does this have anything to do with the thread?. Sounds a bit racist to me.

What the hell does this have anything to do with the thread?. Sounds a bit racist to me.
Wow! Seems a bit harsh. He is talking about the commercial that is the foundation of the thread, and doesn't seem "racist"....

I saw the commercial today and found it hilarious!

I just said he talks like Dave Chappelle, how is that racist? Too sensitive geez. Watch the YouTube link previously posted for the wireless client commercial, and you'll see what I'm talking about.
On second thought, I watched the commercial again and he doesn't talk like that, my bad, on my smartphone it sounded a bit different, like a high pitched voice.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Last edited:
I think the commercials are gonna cause a lot of problems.. They say "NO MORE WIRES".. but thats not actually true.. Still need a wire from the TV to the wireless client. Lots of people with Wall mounted TV's are gonna think the HDMI cable isnt necessary anymore.
I know when I first saw a commercial for it, the first thing that went through my head was "LIARS!! There's still Wires!!"
We'll see.. I still think they're VERY cool tho.. hehehe

That's why is better to read the fine print at the bottom of the commercial, or if that's not feasible than watch it on YouTube.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Please take your hypersensitivity elsewhere..
Newsflash...The guy in the commercial happens to be black. His vocal inflections happen to resemble those of Dave Chappelle.....Tell me, where in the hell you got a racist vibe off that?
Ya know what? Never mind. Please just stand down and get back on the subject matter of the thread.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)