Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DirecTV Group Inc. said Tuesday that while it remains bullish about 2009, hiring will be frozen and all but the most critical capital projects will be suspended as visibility on the economy remains poor.

The nation's largest satellite TV provider also has beefed up some promotions and plans to raise rates for next year.

Still, the El Segundo, Calif.-based company said the slowing economy hasn't made much of a dent in its business thus far. DirecTV expects fourth-quarter and full-year financial results to show an increase over 2007 and next year's subscriber rolls to grow.

Read the rest at DirecTV freezes hiring, postpones capital projects - Forbes.com

These seem to be the prudent steps for a company to take as opposed to throwing money hand over fist at things they dont need or that may never have mass appeal thus harming the bottom line and costing the subscriber in the end.

I'm curious to see how much of a rate increase. I am still on the Total Choice Plus plan with HD Access and DVR service as add-on's.

So is launching a new satellite and only adding HD PPV.

Just because you do not like the minimal that's been added or can't receive whats been added regionally, doesn't mean that HD PPV is all that has been added. So what is jumping to DISH gonna get ya?

As far as rate increases, Comcast has already informed of increases in 09, now direct has am I wrong to assume that Dish will as well...

Lets see what the rate increase is first, before we all go crazy on the Directv rate increase. I dont lke it as everything has gone up and I have not seen a raise in a few years, but again lets see then each one of us will have to make choices on programing and such

As far as rate increases, Comcast has already informed of increases in 09, now direct has am I wrong to assume that Dish will as well...

Lets see what the rate increase is first, before we all go crazy on the Directv rate increase. I dont lke it as everything has gone up and I have not seen a raise in a few years, but again lets see then each one of us will have to make choices on programing and such

Don't forget, D* (and everyone else for that matter) raises thier price a little every year in March.

Jimbo

Some specific information would be nice. Endgadget HD reports that Directv has cancelled development on the HDPC-20 project integrating Directv service into the Windows media center.

Just because you do not like the minimal that's been added or can't receive whats been added regionally, doesn't mean that HD PPV is all that has been added. So what is jumping to DISH gonna get ya?

Besides a boatload of extra premiums that I should be getting according to D's promises, better hardware, almost the same amount of national HD channels, and the option to subscribe to HD only packages?

Most of that is highly subjective and you conveniently leave out what DirecTV brings that DISH doesn't, so I do not see anything glaring to dump my service, start back at square one with a new service and new contract, etc. Its all ho-hum.

Besides a boatload of extra premiums that I should be getting according to D's promises, better hardware, almost the same amount of national HD channels, and the option to subscribe to HD only packages?

I don't recall D* talking about going with a all HD package ... Just because DISH decided to doesn't mean D* has to.
Do you have any press releases stating that they were doing that anytime soon ?

Jimbo

Over compressed HD channels and a company run like the foreign guy gold jewelry store in the center of the mall hallway.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)