DirecTV & FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sramnath01

Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
First of all let me intorduce myself, my Name is Shawn I live in MN, new to all this and i am intrestead in getting a FTA setup. Fist of all, is it possible to have the 2 system co-exsist on the same dish cause for DTV I have a international dish and then the regular dish with dual LNB, if it is not what exactly do I need to get to have all this work with no issues, I do like my DTV and I entend to keep, I would just like to get more internattional programming from places like the west indies and India (big cricket fan). can someone please help

welcome :wave from another Minnesnowtan :)

Best thing to do is to keep the 2 systems separate. You would need a new cable run for the FTA setup but if you got a motorized setup and that would allow you to scan the skies.

Check out thelist for channels that are out there. There are a lot of ethnic channels on G25 (IA5) at 97W that might show cricket. I honestly dont know off the top of my head :)

what do I need to get started and is this something that I can setup myself or do I need to recruit some help

Last edited:
shopping list

Most of our supporting advertizers (the three who do FTA) have packages available.
SatelliteAV, Sadoun, GoSatellite, all listed / linked at the top of every page.

* receiver, one with blind scan ability is very highly valued
* dish, 36" is about the biggest you can ship without outrageous costs, and will do the job
* LNB, linear, dual output if you want more than one receiver (lots of choices, here)
* motor to move the dish, if you want
* RG6 cable and compression connectors to hook LNB to motor and to receiver
* grounding wires, and msc install parts
* audio / video cables to connect the FTA receiver to your TV or entertainment system

edit
: lots of folks come to this forum with little more than the wish to see some particular TV programming.
They take away the knowledge and experience to install their own system.
If you speak any additional language, here is a list of FTA satellites, sorted by language.
I'm sure someone who's more into cricket will comment , but I suspect it'll be as a feed, not regular programming.

Unfortunately none of the channels on 97 West show cricket, I have seen cricket a few times as feeds, most were during the world cup last year (In the West Indies) and over the weekend I saw a Ku band cricket feed, Atlantic C-Band (Big Dish) shows cricket feeds more often than Ku Band.

if I wanted to get every channel you could possibly think of what would I need mesides time and alot of money

It should say something like smart/blind search/scan:

Smart scan.
Smart search.
Blind scan.
Blind search.

If you have a specific receiver in mind please let us know.

To pick up everything you need the largest possible dish, a FTA receiver, a Analog receiver, and a 4DTV receiver.

What band do you want to pick up? (If you want everything then a 12 ft dish will work fine :))

For the Ku band a 39" should be large enough for every one except me (1.2 Meters for me) ;) For C-Band you can get most on a 6 ft dish but for reliable reception you will want a 8ft - 10ft dish.

12 foot dish will pick up everything , does that mean that I would just be mounting the other LNB on that dish in cluding my DirecTV.

Iceburg's advise to leave the DTV system (dish, cables, recievers) alone and set up a seperate dish for the FTA channels is probably the best bet. That way you could watch DTV anytime, even if your fta dish is on a different satellite.

bigger is not always better

If you are looking for Ku-band reception, a 36" dish is a good choice.
If you are looking for C-band reception, then 8', 10', maybe 12' is appropriate.
However, the 8' dish won't get you 7-times better signal on Ku band.
A far better choice would be a 1m Primestar, if you can find one.

Motorizing a Ku band dish is a lot easier and cheaper than a C-band BUD.
Takes different equipment, space, experience, and dedication.

While any decent DBV FTA receiver will operate on both bands, the antenna setup should probably be separate to allow for debugging and learning.

Code:
[FONT=Fixedsys] ...
Surface area of common sized dishes
square inches     dish size
-------------     -----------
 707              30" or 76cm
1018              36" or 90cm
1256              40" or 1 meter
4071              72" or 6 feet
7238              96" or 8 feet[/FONT]
Well, that is my opinion, and as such is one data point.
You will get many more.

Oh, and nobody listens on Ka band, these days.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)