DirecTV: get new customers to pay old customer's unpaid bills.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cheezedaze

Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
Southern Utah
Something BIG to consider before getting DirecTV:

I've done a TON of comparison before I got DirecTV, and the only downfall that I saw was that Dish had better customer service reviews. DirecTV boasts better "customer satisfaction", but only over cable. I decided to get DirecTV for many of the channels and features they had that I loved.

When I waited at home on the installation date, no one showed. I called and they said my installation was put on hold (A call from them would have been nice). But why was it on hold? Because the previous renters did not finish paying their bill! And I'm accountable for that? :confused: According to DirecTV, I am. If I wanted to pay $480 on behalf of the previous renters, I could get my service. Ya. Right.

First, I was upset that no one told me sooner. The installer just didn't show and they waited for me to call. Second, DirecTV has my name, my social, ran a credit check - the whole nine yards, yet WHO I was didn't matter - the HOME was flagged. They couldn't have told me that right off the bat? And once they found out, they couldn't have contacted me? Poor poor poor business.

So, I went with Dish. A comparable plan, not quite as good, but they also worked with me quite well and there is a TON to say for customer service and that blanket of comfort it is if something does happen. I was going to fight it out with DirecTV, but if that's any indication how dealing with them was going to be, then I didn't want them anyway. Just a warning.

That's a rough break with your experience with DirecTV but my expierences with them have been the opposite. I've been a customer since 1999 with virtually no issues from them. It all depends on the individual's experiences.

However, if that rule exists within DirecTV (new renter responsible for previous renter's unpaid bill), that makes no sense to me. That would be something that needs to change at DirecTV.

Something BIG to consider before getting DirecTV:

I've done a TON of comparison before I got DirecTV, and the only downfall that I saw was that Dish had better customer service reviews. DirecTV boasts better "customer satisfaction", but only over cable. I decided to get DirecTV for many of the channels and features they had that I loved.

When I waited at home on the installation date, no one showed. I called and they said my installation was put on hold (A call from them would have been nice). But why was it on hold? Because the previous renters did not finish paying their bill! And I'm accountable for that? :confused: According to DirecTV, I am. If I wanted to pay $480 on behalf of the previous renters, I could get my service. Ya. Right.

First, I was upset that no one told me sooner. The installer just didn't show and they waited for me to call. Second, DirecTV has my name, my social, ran a credit check - the whole nine yards, yet WHO I was didn't matter - the HOME was flagged. They couldn't have told me that right off the bat? And once they found out, they couldn't have contacted me? Poor poor poor business.

So, I went with Dish. A comparable plan, not quite as good, but they also worked with me quite well and there is a TON to say for customer service and that blanket of comfort it is if something does happen. I was going to fight it out with DirecTV, but if that's any indication how dealing with them was going to be, then I didn't want them anyway. Just a warning.

Wait till Dish starts calling you every month to do an audit on your recvrs :)

Wow, that is an odd rule to have, and makes no sense if they checked you personally out.

Tough break, and hope you enjoy your Dish service.

Sorry but I call bull, Directv doesn't blacklist address. People move all the time so it would be impossible they block RID# for unpaid receivers and report your SSN to credit companies as unpaid.
It is more to this one sided story

Sorry but I call bull, Directv doesn't blacklist address. People move all the time so it would be impossible they block RID# for unpaid receivers and report your SSN to credit companies as unpaid.
I have to agree! However Directv will run the address also instead of running credit in some states.

I agree.

Sounds like a case of the , "my Wife is a New Customer" Bit... Back fired.:rant:

D* bases its service, on the customer , Not address.

A flag was raised. Thats the part we aren't hearing.

I agree. Directv has always encouraged leaving your dish behind for the next guy, not sure why they would "flag" anything.

Yup, something smells fishy! Particularly questionable is the fact that the op has ONE post here.

There is only one way for this to make sense ...

if Renter's A last name was smith

then the op last name was smith

I seen this only once and cleared up with customer faxing us proof that the old people left and they moved in aka dated statements of first bills from water/power/telco etc.

This sounds alot like I racked up my bill with dtv left and then my wife went to get it and it now backed fired.

Wow, that is an odd rule to have, and makes no sense if they checked you personally out.

Tough break, and hope you enjoy your Dish service.

It does not surprise me one bit. I had a similar thing happen to me where the installers never called and didn't show because my father, who lives across the state and has a different first name didn't pay his ETF in 2006.......... I now have service because he paid it. This department at DirecTV needs a serrious overhaul. They are $%$$ morons. To put it mildly. They got their money in the case of my father, but I'd imagine most people don't want the service enough to put up with this garbage, so it costs DirecTV quite a bit to deny customers based on the actions of others who may or may not be related. If they asked me to pay $480 to cover a previous renter then I'd definitely not have service.

There is only one way for this to make sense ...

if Renter's A last name was smith

then the op last name was smith

I seen this only once and cleared up with customer faxing us proof that the old people left and they moved in aka dated statements of first bills from water/power/telco etc.

This sounds alot like I racked up my bill with dtv left and then my wife went to get it and it now backed fired.

+1

First post from new user, probably Charlie trying to drum up business.

Installer story..
Go to home on a retail deal. Dish and cabling in place. Something looked familiar. I had done the install for the previous homeowner about 18 months earlier.
No problem. I get the thing done in a bout 30 mins. Call to activate....BOING!!!!! CSR says Dish can't activate becuase there is a delinquent account on that addresss. I told the CSR we had a valid new account with claim number, etc. She said it did not matter. Dish flagged the address due to the delinbquency and the fact that the previous homeowner had not givena forwarding address.
Address frozen. It was only until I asked the new Homeowner to call the previous and ask them to call Dish to give them their NEW address so my custy could get TV.
90 mins or so later, the new peeps had tv...SO a 30 min install truned inot three hours.
I did not blame Dish for this. To their system and rightly so, this was an attempt at fraud. I got it fixed.
Point is, addresses are indeed frozen for certain things.

The previous home owner surely would not give new address unless it was just a closing bill & an oversight on their part. But then, I wonder why D would freeze out an address for just a few bucks.
EDIT: Dish never sent me a closing bill after I returned their equipment. I called them. $6.48.

Heres the deal. The system is setup to flag these types of accounts before they are even built, but if you try to get around it by providing false information such as changing your phone number or putting it in your wifes name Etc. the system will not catch it and will allow you to build the account normally.

On the back end, Directv checks all the accounts manually and will catch this type of stuff and put on the account on hold.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts