Directv goes after HD RSN's

Part of the issue is there is other programming such as collage and local sports programming such as IHSA (highschool sports) that is locally produced by Comcast Sports Net in HD. Were missing out on all of that allso.

That's the problem. Under the current setup on Dish not every game is available in HD even though an RSN is broadcasting it in HD. If all of our HD games were always available I'm sure most of us wouldn't care if the RSN was part-time or full-time.

I agree it is a problem. But, which makes people more happy?

1. Having channel X in HD all the time nationally
2. Having an RSN that serves just one market area in HD

Since Dish does not offer MLB EI, the problem is contained to just a few markets that overflow their capacity, not people nationwide.

I do see Dish eventually going full time all HD RSNs. Perhaps they are putting it off until after the conversion of 110/119 to 8PSK. When they do that they will have a lot more capacity.

I agree it is a problem. But, which makes people more happy?

1. Having channel X in HD all the time nationally
2. Having an RSN that serves just one market area in HD

Since Dish does not offer MLB EI, the problem is contained to just a few markets that overflow their capacity, not people nationwide.

I do see Dish eventually going full time all HD RSNs. Perhaps they are putting it off until after the conversion of 110/119 to 8PSK. When they do that they will have a lot more capacity.

DISH does offer NHL-CI and NBA packages... If I'm paying a premium, I want my channels in HD. Next March or else D* is quite likely in my future as FiOS doesn't carry them. I'm sick of 'moving' for baseball.

Most just want to see the games in their market (primary and alt games) Most spot beams would cover the region with the HDRSN of their market & the Alternate that you get with the sports pack. So it could be possible that you would pick up a couple of other RSN's in full time from overlapping spots. As far as space on spot beams, if there is any to make this a reality, that I have no Idea.

This is far and away my preferred solution. Let DirecTV have the League Pass and Center Ice subs. It's just not worth all the bandwidth.

And by the way, tell that DirecTV lady that, (a) I DID compare, and Dish has more of what I want for less, so you most certainly don't win every time, and (b) STOP BRAGGING ABOUT CAPACITY. Put up (new HD on that capacity) or shut up.

Personally, I think DirecTV is scared to death of losing a sat. That's why I don't think they launched much HD after D11 came online, and why I don't think they will launch that much now. With 3 CONUS sats for HD, I expect they will fill up 2 worth of them.

I don't trust Dish to be smart enough to flip the switch for part-time HD RSNs when necessary - it sure doesn't happen now. I for one won't be happy until I get my RSNs full-time in HD... even Comcast has that now.

Yep, The way I look at is Dish is eventually going to have to go full time with there rsn's. ....
General consensus is that putting them on spots would be ok in lue of taking up full transponder space as people cant get the games outside of their market anyhow as dish doesnt have MLB extra innings.

Most just want to see the games in their market (primary and alt games) Most spot beams would cover the region with the HDRSN of their market & the Alternate that you get with the sports pack. So it could be possible that you would pick up a couple of other RSN's in full time from overlapping spots.

Not true, you'd have to put CSN-Chicago on spots to cover all of IL, most of IN, all of Iowa. Very complicated. Then you'd have to put Fox Sports Midwest on many spotbeams. Then Ohio's, etc. This would play havoc with the NHL and NBA packs. This might work out East Coast though still very complicated. The answer is big city/Western RSN's on 24 hours CONUS first, then add others. :) The West seems to be picked on as far as Eastern games running late.

That's the problem. Under the current setup on Dish not every game is available in HD even though an RSN is broadcasting it in HD. If all of our HD games were always available I'm sure most of us wouldn't care if the RSN was part-time or full-time.

How true. My RSN (NESN) has some OK programing but in all honesty I primarily watch it for the Red Sox Games. Of they games that are not on FOX or ESPN I would say about 95% are broadcast in HD on NESN. Two things irk me. First when the game is NOT carried in HD there is no advance warning. Usually set the DVR to record all the games so that if I am not at home I can watch it in HD later on. If I am at home I cancel the recording. If the game is not in HD I don't have a recording. The other is the alternate channel is not HD or at least the REd Sox aren't broacast in HD on the alternate channel. This is only an issue if the Bruins make the playoffs since NESN also carries them, they push the Red SOx off to the alternate RSN when the games overlap.

Ross

Part-time and JIP coverage of RSN games in HD with Dish Network is Bullsh!t!

I honestly would leave Dish over this one issue if I had LOS for DirecTV.

So now D* is claimming FX AMC isn't in Dish Networks base package, but it is in D* tv's?

Well That sounds like more lies.
Really?? Family pack Has these channels??

Not in our Basic package like yours?

Again really??

So now D* is claimming FX AMC isn't in Dish Networks base package, but it is in D* tv's?

Well That sounds like more lies.
Really?? Family pack Has these channels??

Not in our Basic package like yours?

Again really??
The basic package that Dish used to compare in their ads is the same one Direct is using in this ad.

How do you know? It doesn't say Choice pack for $58.99 per month.
It says Base Pack.
This is a commercial getting back at Dish for comparing their Family pack to Direct's Choice pack, while at the same time claiming the same TV for less. Dish is the one who chose to use Direct's Choice pack in their commercial.

BTW, we are going back and forth making the same comments on two different threads. Lets agree to post only on one thread, the one in the Direct forum. Sounds good?

This is a commercial getting back at Dish for comparing their Family pack to Direct's Choice pack, while at the same time claiming the same TV for less. Dish is the one who chose to use Direct's Choice pack in their commercial.

BTW, we are going back and forth making the same comments on two different threads. Lets agree to post only on one thread, the one in the Direct forum. Sounds good?
Dodger Here is the Top 120 Channel Line up.

Top 120
  • A&E HD
  • ABC FAMILY HD
  • ALIVE
  • ANGEL ONE
  • ANGEL TWO
  • BYU TV
  • CARTOON HD
  • CARTOON WEST
  • CCTV-9
  • CCTV-E
  • CHRISTIAN TV
  • CLASSIC ARTS TV
  • CMT HD
  • CNBC HD
  • CNN HD
  • COLLECTABLES$ TREASURES
  • COMEDY CENTRAL HD
  • C-SPAN
  • CSPAN 2
  • DAYSTAR
  • DISCOVERY HD
  • DISNEY HD
  • DISNEY WEST
  • DOCUMENTARY CHANNEL
  • E! HD
  • ESPN HD
  • ESPN2 HD
  • ESPNews HD
  • ESPNU
  • EWTN
  • FLORIDA ED TV
  • FREE SPEECH TV
  • FOOD HD
  • FOX NEWS HD
  • GEMS& JEWELRY TV
  • GEMS TV
  • HD THEATER
  • HD NET
  • HEADLINE NEWS
  • HEATH&HUMAN SERVICES
  • HGTV HD
  • HISTORY HD
  • HITN
  • HORSE RACING TV
  • HSN
  • IN COUNTRY TV
  • INSPIRATION TV
  • ION
  • ION WEST
  • JEWELRY TV
  • KBS WORLD
  • KIDS&TEENS TV
  • LIFETIME HD
  • LINK TV
  • LIVE SHOPPING
  • MERCURY
  • MTV HD
  • MTV2
  • NASA
  • NICK HD
  • NICK WEST
  • PALLADIA HD
  • PENTAGON TV
  • QVC
  • REELZ
  • RESEARCH CHANNEL
  • SHOP
  • SHOP NBC
  • SPIKE HD
  • SYFY HD
  • TBN
  • TBS HD
  • TLC HD
  • TNT HD
  • TRAVEL HD
  • TV GAMES NETWORK
  • TV GUIDE NETWORK
  • TV LAND
  • UNIVERSITY HOUSE
  • UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA
  • USA HD
  • VH1 HD
  • V-ME
  • TWC HD
Plus 19 Dish CD Audio channels

And HD customers also get these
  • Centric HD
  • CI TV HD
  • Fashion TV HD
  • HD Net Movies HD
  • LOGO HD
  • Mav TV HD
  • MGM HD
  • Universal HD
  • WFN HD
  • Indiplex HD
  • Retroplex HD
SD Customers Pay $39.99

HD Customers Pay $49.99
Top 120 + is $44.99 Includes Local RSN's for SD
HD is $54.99

Except that Dish also compares their AT200 pack, which has most of the missing channels, and DirecTV fails to make that comparison. Also, they then have the audacity of giving their 1 year promotional costs, when Dish was comparing the actual cost.

Except that Dish also compares their AT200 pack, which has most of the missing channels, and DirecTV fails to make that comparison. Also, they then have the audacity of giving their 1 year promotional costs, when Dish was comparing the actual cost.
I don't recall seeing Direct mention price anywhere in this commercial.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)