DirecTV Greenville, SC DMA subs with AM21 OTA tuner

What adjacent market you get OTA on DIrecTV AM21 tuner in Greenville, SC DMA with outdoor antenna?

• Augusta, GA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Columbia, SC

• Charlotte, NC

• Knoxville, TN

• Atlanta, GA

• Other

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.

shkarter1985

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Greenwood, South Carolina
For those who have DirecTV in the Greenville, SC market and uses the AM21 OTA tuner. For secondary zip codes (like adjacent markets) do you get adjacent Augusta, GA or Columbia, SC or Charlotte, NC OTA with outdoor antenna and using AM21 OTA tuner on your DirecTV HD or HD-DVR receivers?

If so what do you get OTA from your home market and adjacent OTA on AM21 even though silly laws (aka the dreadful Federal Law) won't let us get out-of-markets/adjacent ones or NYC/LA ones on DirecTV because of crappy and unfair network non-duplication, syndication exclusivity, sports blackouts BS by FCC. :mad:

But people care about locals and local news you dig! ;)

A bit of a strange question. The stations you receive OTA will depend on exactly where you are located, what sort of antenna you have etc Have you input your location into tvfool?

Perhaps you are asking which channels are in the database?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Perhaps you are asking which channels are in the database?

I do mean that ejb1980. My zip code: 29646
If I had DirecTV AM21 OTA tuner I can use two adjacent zip codes (since I get three markets OTA) like for Columbia, SC: 29602 and for Augusta, GA (where the late James Brown got his starts): 30901

What's in the database for those zip codes? :)

WYFFDT 4.1
WYFFDT2 4.2
WSPADT 7.1
WSPADT2 7.2
WLOSDT 13.1
WLOSDT2 13.2
WLOSDT3 13.3
WGGSDT 16.1
WGGSDT2 16.2
WGGSDT3 16.3
WHNSDT 21.1
WHNSDT2 21.2
WNTVDT 29.1
WNTVDT2 29.2
WNTVDT3 29.3
WUGADT 32.1
WUNFDT 33.1
WUNFDT2 33.2
WUNFDT3 33.3
WNEHDT 38.1
WNEHDT2 38.2
WNEHDT3 38.3
WMYADT 40.1
WRETDT 49.1
WRETDT2 49.2
WRETDT3 49.3
WYCWDT 62.1
WYCWDT2 62.2
WYCWDT3 62.3

That is in the database for the Greenville market. You can add both of the extra markets:

-Run the initial setup with your home zip (assumedly Greenville, SC DMA) and one of the second cities.
-Run the initial setup AGAIN with your home zip and the OTHER city (not the one you used the first time)

It will not delete the first city, it only builds upon the list until the receiver is reset or RBR'ed, then you have to repeat this process.

Augusta:
WJBFDT 6.1
WJBFDT2 6.2
WRDWDT 12.1
WRDWDT2 12.2
WRDWDT3 12.3
WEBADT 14.1
WEBADT2 14.2
WEBADT3 14.3
WCESDT 20.1
WCESDT2 20.2
WCESDT3 20.3
WAGTDT 26.1
WAGTDT2 26.2
WFXGDT 54.1
WFXGDT2 54.2
Columbia:
WISDT 10.1
WISDT2 10.2
WISDT3 10.3
WLTXDT 19.1
WLTXDT2 19.2
WLTXDT3 19.3
WOLODT 25.1
WOLODT2 25.2
WOLODT3 25.3
WRJADT 27.1
WRJADT2 27.2
WRJADT3 27.3
WRLKDT 35.1
WRLKDT2 35.2
WRLKDT3 35.3
WZRBDT 47.1
WACHDT 57.1
WACHDT2 57.2
WKTCDT 63.1
WKTCDT2 63.2
WKTCDT3 63.3

I should mention that the above 3-market trip in the above post works on Genies. I am not sure about regular DVRs, I don't see why it wouldn't

For those who have DirecTV in the Greenville, SC market and uses the AM21 OTA tuner. For secondary zip codes (like adjacent markets) do you get adjacent Augusta, GA or Columbia, SC or Charlotte, NC OTA with outdoor antenna and using AM21 OTA tuner on your DirecTV HD or HD-DVR receivers?

If so what do you get OTA from your home market and adjacent OTA on AM21 even though silly laws (aka the dreadful Federal Law) won't let us get out-of-markets/adjacent ones or NYC/LA ones on DirecTV because of crappy and unfair network non-duplication, syndication exclusivity, sports blackouts BS by FCC. :mad:

But people care about locals and local news you dig! ;)

Also, the part about not allowing adjacent markets isn't fully true. Directv does offer some of the significantly viewed adjacent locals (SV) that the FCC allows. Here (Greensboro, NC market) some parts, like me, get Roanoke, VA WDBJ CBS, WSET ABC, and WSLS NBC, some parts get WTVD ABC Durham, and a few get WSOC ABC Charlotte. Mecklenburg County, VA is the Raleigh DMA and they get WRIC ABC Richmond and WDBJ and WSET from the Roanoke DMA. MOST (as in the vast majority) of the SV locals are in SD. But some small markets are HD-only locals and therefore have no SD locals to give. Other cases are unexplanable: Directv also carries some Greensboro locals in HD in the SV areas of the Roanoke DMA (Martinsville and Danville areas) and I think also in Chatham Co, NC (Raleigh DMA.)

However, all of that is fine and dandy but cable has older, far more lenient laws regarding out of market locals, allowing them to carry many more than Directv. Dish Network has another set of rules, basically because they were overly lenient in allowing people (certainly never me... *cough) to get their home locals, Superstations (WPIX, WWOR, KWGN, WSBK, KTLA), and 2 of each big-4 networks from Atlanta, Chicago, New York, Denver, and Los Angeles if you lived outside some barely enforced OTA coverage line. It was glorious. Key word: WAS. They were punished for it. To the best of my knowledge, Dish no longer allows any SV out of market locals, unless your market lacks one of the big 4.

Also, the part about not allowing adjacent markets isn't fully true. Directv does offer some of the significantly viewed adjacent locals (SV) that the FCC allows. Here (Greensboro, NC market) some parts, like me, get Roanoke, VA WDBJ CBS, WSET ABC, and WSLS NBC, some parts get WTVD ABC Durham, and a few get WSOC ABC Charlotte. Mecklenburg County, VA is the Raleigh DMA and they get WRIC ABC Richmond and WDBJ and WSET from the Roanoke DMA. MOST (as in the vast majority) of the SV locals are in SD. But some small markets are HD-only locals and therefore have no SD locals to give. Other cases are unexplanable: Directv also carries some Greensboro locals in HD in the SV areas of the Roanoke DMA (Martinsville and Danville areas) and I think also in Chatham Co, NC (Raleigh DMA.)

However, all of that is fine and dandy but cable has older, far more lenient laws regarding out of market locals, allowing them to carry many more than Directv. Dish Network has another set of rules, basically because they were overly lenient in allowing people (certainly never me... *cough) to get their home locals, Superstations (WPIX, WWOR, KWGN, WSBK, KTLA), and 2 of each big-4 networks from Atlanta, Chicago, New York, Denver, and Los Angeles if you lived outside some barely enforced OTA coverage line. It was glorious. Key word: WAS. They were punished for it. To the best of my knowledge, Dish no longer allows any SV out of market locals, unless your market lacks one of the big 4.

IMHO The NAB killed Freedom of Choice!
I did forget about mentioning SV ones. Sorry! :(

I've forgot: People like in Toccoa, GA (part of the Greenville, SC DMA) are forced to watch PBS from South Carolina ETV or UNC-TV on DirecTV because they don't have Georgia Public Broadcasting in their DMA. Which means they're denied to watch PBS from their own state.

Same story when it comes to sports, they're ( yes, Toccoa, GA) forced to watch Carolina Panthers NFL games instead their home-state Atlanta Falcons on CBS or FOX unless they can afford lots of dough for NFL Sunday Ticket. Sports blackouts are a controversial issue, I won't go there.

But why the word forced same meaning as NO CHOICE? All you say is thank you NAB and Nielsen's for screwing stuff up. End of story!

Thanks but.. We are talking about the AM21 database. Haha

There is NO Database for the AM21, just the one that D* allows.
Unless of course you have a D* model that actually SCANS and then the AM21 has no database.

There is NO Database for the AM21, just the one that D* allows.
Unless of course you have a D* model that actually SCANS and then the AM21 has no database.

It is impossible for the AM21 to know what you have OTA without doing some sort of scan. It has to figure out what's there in some manner. It clearly scans to see what you have OTA and then matches it up to what it thinks you should have. Since that list (aka the database) hasn't been updated in forever with new channels, some are missing. It just doesn't display the ones it doesn't recognize. If you add a secondary zip of a DMA with the PSIP of the missing zip, you can make that missing channel appear (with incorrect data for what is being shown since it thinks it's a different station). How could it do that without scanning?

None of the dvrs with an AM21 scan anymore Jimbo.

It is impossible for the AM21 to know what you have OTA without doing some sort of scan. It has to figure out what's there in some manner. It clearly scans to see what you have OTA and then matches it up to what it thinks you should have. Since that list (aka the database) hasn't been updated in forever with new channels, some are missing. If you add a secondary zip of a DMA with the PSIP of the missing zip, you can make that missing channel appear (with incorrect data for what is being shown since it thinks it's a different station). How could it do that without scanning?

It uses the database provided by Directv.

It uses the database provided by Directv.

That is what I said. It figures out what you have (aka SCANNING, since that's how OTA signals are received...), displays what it matches with its database and deletes what isn't in the database.

None of the dvrs with an AM21 scan anymore Jimbo.
THATS my point .... the AM21 goes by what you put in the D* recvr, it doesn't have the ability to scan on it's own.

I think were all saying the same thing, but not saying so the other understands.

You cannot set up the am21 to do ANYTHING without the recvr being hooked up to it, so it is the D* database that you input that determines what the am21 sees.

That is what I said. It figures out what you have (aka SCANNING, since that's how OTA signals are received...), displays what it matches with its database and deletes what isn't in the database.
How does it know where your at ?
It doesn't, so you have to input the zip code and it pulls up the database according to the input .... If I lie and tell it I'm in Oakland, Ca, of course it's gonna pull it up, it only goes by what you tell in in the D* recvr. That said, you get nothing on the TV unless a channel happens to match.

Reactions: raoul5788
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)