DirecTV: HD Additions Won't Reduce Quality

Status
Please reply by conversation.
DTV will be using the new generation mpeg4 encoders too, just like DISH

DIRECTV will deploy the first of 26 MPEG-4 AVC HD enabled transponders this summer. The system will use TANDBERG’s EN5990 real-time HD encoder for MPEG-4 AVC and its 1+1 HD multiplexing system. 26 MPEG-4 AVC HD enabled transponders times 6 per equals 156 HD channels.

http://broadcastengineering.com/news/directv-ttv-avc-20050221/

Well that certainly is good news.

99 % of the general public has NO IDEA what D* has done or is about to do.
Without being on a Sat board finding out about bit rates and what they could be is way above the normal sub.

Most people are happy with more channels (HD) to come.

The Quantity over Quality is not true, due to the fact that up till now, they have (and still do) have very few channels in HD.

They said nothing will change in transmission, but as mentioned previously, they don't have to have a press release to improve the signal, thus admitting a sub standard signal, they should be able to do this behind the scenes (if they decide to, and I hope they do.)

I too would like to see full bandwith sent out properly and a great picture on ALL the HD channels and they should also be able to clean up the SD signal as well, if they chose to.

Jimbo

99%???... you've got to be blind if you can't see the garbage. A good friend of mine thought he'd be smart and drop Cox cable and go with DirecTV for Sunday Ticket reasons... his very non-technical wife quickly made him switch back. The reason? I'll quote....."get rid of all of the squares on the TV or else!"

I respect the fact that you didnt. Scott I respect the job you do here. I know you love E* and you do a fantastic job with this site. I really really like this site in general.

Scott does a pretty good job of pointing out the flaws in both providers. i suppose that he could be accused of a lot of things but he has two things going for him ---he does not play favorites and he is a Red Sox fan.

I disagree. I have a 1080i 47" RPTV HDTV that Ive had for several years. I could see what happened to D* HD PQ the year they first started offering some of ST in HD and then a big drop when they increased them the next year.

My point had nothing to do with the PQ of any particular service. I was trying to point out that if you want to compare PQ between different services, you have to view both services on the same set. I see many posts saying one was better than the other when camparing their service, to a friend's service. But how could they compare them when they were viewing the picture from two different services on two different sets?

99%???... you've got to be blind if you can't see the garbage. A good friend of mine thought he'd be smart and drop Cox cable and go with DirecTV for Sunday Ticket reasons... his very non-technical wife quickly made him switch back. The reason? I'll quote....."get rid of all of the squares on the TV or else!"

Did she like the grainy cable pictures better?

My point had nothing to do with the PQ of any particular service. I was trying to point out that if you want to compare PQ between different services, you have to view both services on the same set. I see many posts saying one was better than the other when camparing their service, to a friend's service. But how could they compare them when they were viewing the picture from two different services on two different sets?
I use different video sources on my 65" Sony, put the same local SD channel up from Dish and Cox with PIP, and I can clearly see that Dish compresses more than Cox. My wife can see it too, so it must be really bad.

If Cox had as much HD as Dish, I'd have dumped the dish a long time ago.

It depends where you live I guess, where I live the piture on COX is worse then it is on Dish Network.

I understand that in my area they are going to do an upgrade to our system to allow for more channels so maybe that will clear that issue up more.

Your assessment is very true. Not only it has to be the same same but both need to be calibrated as equally as possible. My comparison when I had DirecTv I did on two different sets a 60" Sony Wega and a 42" Samsung. I also did comparison in the same TV on the component inputs. I always came up with the same conclusion... DirecTv was behind in their HD PQ compare to my local cable company and Dish Network. I only compared common channels in all services like HDnet on both Dish Network and DirecTv. When I did the comparison to cable, I used channels like HBO HD and Showtime HD.

It depends where you live I guess, where I live the piture on COX is worse then it is on Dish Network.

I understand that in my area they are going to do an upgrade to our system to allow for more channels so maybe that will clear that issue up more.

As you probably know Scott, Cox in CT is dropping the analog feeds of HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax as of April 24th. This alone should allow them the room to add some hd channels if they so choose.

Your assessment is very true. Not only it has to be the same same but both need to be calibrated as equally as possible. My comparison when I had DirecTv I did on two different sets a 60" Sony Wega and a 42" Samsung. I also did comparison in the same TV on the component inputs. I always came up with the same conclusion... DirecTv was behind in their HD PQ compare to my local cable company and Dish Network. I only compared common channels in all services like HDnet on both Dish Network and DirecTv. When I did the comparison to cable, I used channels like HBO HD and Showtime HD.

DirecTV has worse PQ how can that be?.Just might be because they said right at the first they would be experiencing bandwith problems due to lack of bandwith?
But I would complain now before they get all their satellites up and the problem just might be solved.:rolleyes:

Let's see reasons I can't do without D*.Love my ST.Love my EI.Love my HD RSNs and coming soon to a satellite dish near you the most HD channels of any provider.;)

You missed my point entirely.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts