DirecTV HD DVR Delayed Again

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
tds4182 said:
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong on this, but doesn't Swann have the reputation of having been wrong in his predictions fairly often in the past and isn't he well known for being of "the sky is falling" mentality?.
Yes, but he was merely regurgitating another article.

herdfan said:
But let's look at a D* HD sub. He had an HR10-250, and was able to pick up some HD locals with an antenna. D*'s announces that they are rolling out HD LIL's. He should know this even if he doesn't read the boards. So he signs up and gets an H20.

Wait a minute. "I can't record these", he says. So he starts looking around, at the insistance of his wife;) , and finds that both his cableco and E* offer recordable locals. So he calls D* and is told by a clueless CSR "Summer 06". Summer '06 is now here and he still can't record locals, but the new fall season is coming.

So to make his wife happy, he goes to cable and is able to record his locals in HD.

It is a bigger deal that D* would want you to know.

It's still my opinion that the bottom line number of people that will switch now is limited. This news that the HDDVR is coming out in the fall is NOT NEW NEWS. I know that if I didn't read these boards, I wouldn't have a clue about this 'latest' announcement myself - would you?

BTW, as I mentioned, fall begins in September - there has already been talk of them beginning the beta test on the West Coast by August. September is still in the sights IMO.

herdfan said:
Yes, but he was merely regurgitating another article.
And, the article regurgitating what we already know.

johnml said:

iagree.gif

ScoBuck said:
It's still my opinion that the bottom line number of people that will switch now is limited.
And you maybe right. But what is your opinion of D*'s prospects of getting new HD customers (those who don't care about football) given that both E* and many cableco's have 1) More HD and 2) a way to record it (locals)?

Again, not talking about switchers, but new customers moving to HD for the first time.

blah blah blah.........money says no HD DVR Tuner from D* in 06.............maybe mid 07 but not holding my breath

Last edited:
Turner?

Are you talking Turner South? Fox bought out Turner South. Fox has announced plans to convert the network into a Fox Sports Net network. Although not yet announced, two possibilities exist for the network's future. One is to operate it in companion with Fox's current local FSN, Fox Sports Net South. Another possibility is to split the current FSN South and the new Turner South to target different areas. One would service Atlanta and Georgia, and another would service the rest of the Southeastern region.

According to a May 7 Atlanta Journal-Constitution article, Jeff Genthner, who was appointed by FSN to head the network, said that the new name would reflect the network's focus, but wouldn't be something "obvious" like FSN South 2. "We don't want to create another 'FSN' brand in the market where the consumer gets confusion between the two," Genthner was quoted as saying in the AJC article.

Also unclear is whether or not Turner South will be available to viewers on DirecTV in other regions of the country by way of the premium "Sports Pack" service. Right now, the satellite television service blacks out the network outside of ZIP codes originally designated as the Turner South coverage area.

So until all that is cleared up, why would anyone expect ANY info regarding DirecTV having it in HD or not? Geez, the dust hasn't even finished rising, so it can start to settle, and people are already semi-bitching.

Are you talking (W)TBS, if so that's still considered a local Atlanta independent (chnl 17 analog / chnl 20 digital) that we are lucky enough just to still have as a super station; just like WGN Chicago (chnl 9 analog / chnl 19 digital). BUT they are still local channels in their own metro areas. So these types of channels are going to be a REAL HARD sell to get carriage rights for "out of market" HD feed, but we can hope.

Last edited:
rkr0923 said:
blah blah blah.........money says no HD Tuner from D* in 06.............maybe mid 07 but not holding my breath
I have heard D* will be bringing out 3 new receivers this year, HD as well, DVR and normal HD.
Sorry, No details...

Jimbo

Sapient said:
It is hard for me to imagine many new HD customers choosing D* at this time. .
You have to remember that two of the biggest electronics retailers in the country are, Best Buy & Circuit City. That is where many of the new HDTVs are being sold. They both only sell D*, not E*. New first time HD customers will go with D* because that is what is available when they purchase their new HDTV. After their initial 2 year commitment is up, they will have a better understanding of HD and may shop around, but being new to HD, on their initial purchase will go with what is available to them D*.

Sapient said:
I don't know if many people will leave D* over this issue, but growing their HD subscriber base may be difficult.
I know a few people here have expressed their desire to go elsewhere, but how many of them actually do, is yet to be seen. I think most of D*s customers will wait until their projected 2007 deadline rolls around to see if they have improved their HD service. I don't understand why people are getting upset at them, because they don't have more HD available NOW,when all along they have been telling us 2007, before we see numerous amounts. I have to admit it is frustrating seeing E* getting new HD nationals and us getting nothing, but if D* come through with their earlier projection, that will change.

Now, when that 2007 deadline rolls around and they haven't come through, that will be an entirely different story.

I think D* has gone about their HD conversion back wards. They should have first worked on adding new Nationals HDs, that cater to ALL HD customers, instead of adding a couple of the many locals, for each market, that many customers already receive OTA.

herdfan said:
And you maybe right. But what is your opinion of D*'s prospects of getting new HD customers (those who don't care about football) given that both E* and many cableco's have 1) More HD and 2) a way to record it (locals)?

Again, not talking about switchers, but new customers moving to HD for the first time.

I agree with a previous post - most of the HDTV's are purchased in a retail store - the biggest retailers (CC and BB, as well as the biggest local one here PC Richards) only have DirecTV and they push it HARD!

I also think that most of the drive to HDTV is male-dominated (sports dominated) and sports is going to take front seat in choosing providers. Its my opinion, you asked for it.

lou_do said:
I think D* has gone about their HD conversion back wards. They should have first worked on adding new Nationals HDs, that cater to ALL HD customers, instead of adding a couple of the many locals, for each market, that many customers already receive OTA.
Okay. I'll bite...

DirecTV has 46 nationwide DBS transponders, another 16 off of a wing satellite, and some Ku-band transponders on 95 for international programming. These are quite full, especially for any HD additions.

The only reason DirecTV is adding local channels in HD is because DirecTV repurposed the Spaceway satellites. It is the only place that DirecTV has room, and there aren't any CONUS transponders on the Spaceway satellites.

So, what is DirecTV adding? They are adding the most-watched programs, in HD, by way of the big four networks. They are adding the HD games from the RSN's. This is much more compelling than VOOM, or any of the other additions on Dish Network.

Now if only DirecTV would have an MPEG4 HD DVR.
ScoBuck said:
I also think that most of the drive to HDTV is male-dominated (sports dominated) and sports is going to take front seat in choosing providers. Its my opinion, you asked for it.
I agree 100 percent.

If DirecTV is able to add the networks and the sports in HD, that is a big chunk of the viewing public's desire. Add Sunday Ticket in HD, and it may even be more of a slam dunk.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts