Directv HD DVR HDMI problem with Samsung LCD HDTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jamieh1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 27, 2004
Greenville Washington New Bern, NC
I Just purchased a 32" LCD HDTV. I went to hook up the HDMI and all I get is NO SIGNAL. So I went and bought another HDMI cable and it still does not work.
Do you think its the DVR or the TV???
Im going to take my HD DVR over to my uncles and hook it tohis HDTV and see if its the reciever.

jamielee said:
I Just purchased a 32" LCD HDTV. I went to hook up the HDMI and all I get is NO SIGNAL. So I went and bought another HDMI cable and it still does not work.
Im going to take my HD DVR over to my uncles and hook it tohis HDTV and see if its the reciever.

There is a well known issue with the HDMI on the earlier HD Tivos covered extensively over on tivocommunity.com. The first one brought out to my house in Sept. 05 also had bad HDMI. Luckily, the tech had a second one that worked. You can try hooking it up via component or try your luck with D* if the unit is out of warranty. The following threads might be useful:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=287005
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=283927&highlight=HDMI

One final note, I also have a 32 inch LCD Samsung I bought a couple of months ago and HD Tivo works fine with it, so I don't think that is the issue with your setup.

I use to think that the Directv HD pq was pretty bad, but it must of been my old HDTV. Because with my new LCD Samsung HDTV its awesome.
TNTHD looks good!

Im going to take my HD DVR over to my uncles and try his HDMI on his tv.

Why don't you just use the component inputs? Most can't tell the difference on big displays, much less a small 32" screen. I am one of the pickiest on PQ & I can't see any benefit of HDMI. Iv'e tried both ways with my Sammy DLP & my Panny Plasma (HDTV, not EDTV, BTW). No difference.

SRust said:
Why don't you just use the component inputs? Most can't tell the difference on big displays, much less a small 32" screen. I am one of the pickiest on PQ & I can't see any benefit of HDMI. Iv'e tried both ways with my Sammy DLP & my Panny Plasma (HDTV, not EDTV, BTW). No difference.

There is the convenience factor. I use hdmi for my bedroom tv. The tv and H20
go on with one button. Also, there is no need for an audio cable.

The HDMI actually looked worse than component on my Sony 36XBR800 when using the HDMI to DVI cable. It was fuzzy and had a vertical bar that ran across the screen from right to left every second or so. It was only visible on dark content, like LOST, but annoying nonetheless. Component looks worlds better.

Ted

HDMI malfunction

jamielee said:

I had the same HDMI problem with my HR10-250. I sent the first HR10 back to 'D'. The second HDMI went out, a few months later...I sent the second HR10 back to 'D'. I am on my third one....I stopped connecting the HDMI cord and only use the component output cords of the HR10. Too much of a hassle to keep sending the HR10's back and losing all my recordings, even though I paid $1000 for the HR10 and expected all output connections to work.....but, after you get tired of shipping the HR10 back to 'D', do what most of us have done....use the Component output connection of the HR10.
Hope you don't have to send back too many boxes:)

Peace

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts