This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

DirecTV HD DVRs

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Luken8r

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Im a current sub to Dish Network and Im fed up with them (long story) and Im looking to change to DirecTV. Do they have an HD box that can output to multiple TVs? My current box holds all of the recorded shows for our two sets on HD and the other SD

If you are looking for a DirecTV DVR that can output separate channels to two TVs, then that's a no. They can feed the same content to two TVs.

Depending on how much money youre willing to spend, you can have it output on as many TV's as you like. If you want to run it thru coax, and have "ok" quality, you could have an infinite amount of TV's hooked up with the use of splitters and one RF modulator.

Now if you want quality, there is all different types of equipment that you would need to buy, and configure.

However, like the above poster said, this would basically just be "mirroring" the outlet to TV's. So whatever is on your main TV, will be on all the others. You would have to also purchase an IR sensor for each TV if you plan on changing the channel in each separate room, but the channel will be the same on all TV's.

Hope that makes sense.

DirecTv is working on MRV (Multi-Room-Viewing) in the CE Forum (DirecTv's Cutting-Edge). It is open to DirecTv subs registered with this site but requires participants to load beta s/w on their equipment with what is called a high risk factor but seems to be limited to potentially missing a show. This hasn't impacted me but I like MRV; it allows networked servers (HD DVR's) to stream content in its original format to other compatible networked receivers and DVR's. It's still needs some work but is improving and may be released nationally soon but it isn't known if Ethernet would be primary, secondary or no longer an option in favor of the SWM over the existing Coax lines. The only option in CE is Ethernet and the preferred method is direct wire cat5e or cat6.

If you want to switch to DirecTv check out the CE Forum and consider giving one our mods a referral by checking this thread out: http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...roved-directv-referral-offer.html#post1796008

As a recent (long story) switcher, I can say D*** doesn't have anything like the CE Forum and the customer input on s/w, features and evolving tech. Some would argue the 922Vip has the DirecTv HD DVR beat but for what D*** wants for Sling technology and their penalty for multiple DVR's on one account, I don't regret switching and enjoy the CE testing. Also, if you switch, insist on the SWM switch and you may even consider adding more DVR's since there is only one DVR fee (local and DVR fee included in the cost of plans and first one is no charge and each additional is $5 and makes no difference if owned or leased. For example, I paid D*** $19/mo. for DVR service and lease fee for two 722Vip's in addition to programming fee. With DirecTv I'm paying $10 for three DVR's plus programming. Even if you compare say apples to apples, add the $6 for DVR service (which is included in DVR programming packages) and it still comes out cheaper to have 3 DVR's with DirecTv ($16 for three DVR's compared to $19 for 2 DVR's with D***) Picture Quality is arguably the same or better, depends on who's offering an opinion; IMO, better. There's speculation that DirecTv will be adding BBCAmericaHD July 26th, not sure but hoping. Others don't expect new national HD launches until 2010 when new satellites launch.

Some have experienced slow remote problems in the CE but I had a 722Vip in single mode using RF remote and it was just as annoying as my CE experience with laggy remotes. I wouldn't say any better or worse for me but I think it depends on the amount of Series Links are active.

Status
Please reply by conversation.