DirecTV HD - I don't recomend to my worst enemy!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
well said, pradike. after all this is
"The DirecTV Forum (48 Viewing)
Your place to discuss DirecTV equipment, services, software, and other DirecTV releated posts and questions."

Maybe Scott can set up a different forum where VOOMies can convince themselves all they want they they have found the true HD path to heaven.
Then we woulodn't have to endure all the VOOMies who masquerade as DirecTV subs telling us how they have discovered the light and we are all still in darkness.
This "DirecTV Forum", after all, is supposed to be for the discussion of DirecTV, not continual, repetitive and often schreeching bashing from VOOM fans -- who love to pass themselves off as disillusioned DirecTV subs to give themselves some sort of self-perceived added credibility.
Scott: pass the Kool-Aid and have them leave us alone, or, I suspect, you run the risk of your relatively small band of DirecTV subscribers finding a more hospitable forum.

I went looking at D* and E* after Voom seems to be lost on the idea of adding USA/Sci Fi.

For those who call their 'old HD content', their movie channels really do show some good stuff and its a digital transfer off of original 35mm. If your into any classic older movies there is no place else, except a theatre, where you will see what you see there.

As far as upconverting, there SD quality is so far and above the SD quality of any other provider, I think its 480p and thats fine with me.

If Voom added Sci Fi, which we watch alot of, then we wouldn't look at switching.

I'd rather watch upconverted video rather than the SD you see everywhere else. My 60" LCD looked like ass on SD D*, it looks more than watchable on Voom in SD.

If my damned cable company would offer Sci Fi I'd just pipe in cheapo cable to compliment Voom until they get it together.

Oh I just read the reply before this one the second after I posted. I was a D* customer until they jacked me on the HD package and I returned everything. For those who don't care for Voom I doubt have seen it, Sears displays sucks, its SD/HD quality really does blow D*'s HD packages away, granted we don't have HDNet, but it gets better everyday and the zero commitment really does seal the deal.

Its hardly perfect, but when you spend 4K on a TV, I want what I watch to look good, 80 percent of Voom looks better than D*, 5 percent looks the same, and the other 5 looks better. For those that complain they do not offer locals over the sat, save the bandwidth for more HD content.

I watched D*'s video quality fall and fall and fall. We finally had the last straw when watching The L Word in SD and seeing any color 40-50 shades lighter or darker just get get blocky and pixelate.

Voom, for all of its problems, doesn't do that. You don't get Encore HD, StarzHD, or a ton of the other channels. You want to see HD quality, check out Tears Of the Sun on EncoreHD, *nothing* comes close to that and there is quite a bit of programming like that on Voom, which is not available on D* or E*.

In the end it comes down to who has what you watch...we do watch alot of HD content on Voom, but we are missing shows we normally watch...the rest we watch is available in HD on Showtime and HBO...so for all it has to offer, what we really want to watch is not available, if they fix that I'd be happy as could be.

I had Voom for a total of 10 days back in April. I didn't like their looped exclusive programing, plus their receivers need a lot of work. Rain fade was a problem even when it wasn't raining. Even Discovery HD looked better on Brighthouse cable than it did on Voom. I did like one thing, getting my money back. But at least Voom is there as another Choice for DBS HD. Try it, if you like it stay with it, if not change it. I also was not satsified with Voom SD channel line up. No Sci-Fi, or USA.

I had to dump Voom as well for having a crappy box (even thought I got one with the new software already) and rain fade on cloudy days. When the wife ain't happy, you ain't happy.

When I threatened to switch to cable for HD, Directv was able to give me an HD Receiver offer that I couldn't refuse, and they are also going to come out and replace the dish like I asked since we also have had a rain fade problem with them as well, though not as bad as Voom.

There is nothing wrong with choosing Voom for HDTV since Voom offers more channels than DirecTV. I am happy with DirecTV HDTV programming and will soon be getting the HD TiVo, at least I hope I will since it is supposed to ship today. Showtime does show a lot of OAR HDTV, I don't know the percentage but about 30 to 40%. I check the Showtime website since the DirecTV guide isn't correct now. Here is the Showtime schedule for HDTV.

http://www.sho.com/site/schedules/hdtv.do

HDNet Movies has several movies each month of interest to me and as a result, I haven't watched a standard definition movie from DirecTV all month. I agree the channels currently offered aren't worth the price but I believe DirecTV will soon add several new channels, despite the CSRs comments since DirecTV doesn't announce new channels very far in advance as a rule. Since I have spent a lot of money on DirecTV HD equipment, including 169time system and soon the HD TiVo, I want to be happy and the equipment sure seems superior to anything Voom or Dish Network offers. With local OTA HDTV, I am now up to about 50% HDTV viewing. DirecTV offering "compelling content" is taking a little longer than I hoped but it is getting there for me, at least.

Chris

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Directv Seller that offers deals without installation

Problem: Must have 2 tuners on local channels

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts