Directv=HD Lite?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

swampman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
South Louisiana
Well I can't say I'm really happy with my HD package. Not only is it expensive for the amount of channels included, but the picture quality is "soft" at best. I think my OTA HD is better! And I keep hearing people say its because Directv is not "real" HD...just HD lite. Not the case with Dishnetwork. Is this true and if so then why?

Well I can't say I'm really happy with my HD package. Not only is it expensive for the amount of channels included, but the picture quality is "soft" at best. I think my OTA HD is better! And I keep hearing people say its because Directv is not "real" HD...just HD lite. Not the case with Dishnetwork. Is this true and if so then why?

This is totally not true (in regards to DISH at least) - MOST of their channels are also HD-LITE, they only have a handful or so that are full-rezz.

For both it is a bandwidth issue.

When the new satellite goes up for Directv that shouldn't be a problem anymore.

When the new satellite goes up for Directv that shouldn't be a problem anymore.

That's speculation. Directv has promised more channels, not improved quality. They have not even really acknowledged hd lite.

Last edited:

With a strong signal, OTA is generally better quality than any hd provider. Fios comes real close though.

That's speculation. Directv has promised more channels, not improved quality. They have not even really acknowledged hd lite.

DISH has not acknowledged HDLite either.

Technically, anything 720 and up is considered HD according to the FCC, unfortunatly, there are no standard other than what I mentioned.

Jimbo

Eeeh man - don't make it fuzzy; there is simple logic: HDTV sets by ATSC standard have only two resolutions: 1920x1080 and 1280x720. i.e. have square pixels and 16:9 ratio. So, sat/cable providers should follow the standard; what they did just fullfit OUTPUT signal, but downrezzing and overcompressing in their 'pipes' what bring PQ DOWN !

No it isn't, just ask the people that have Mpeg-4 locals how good they look compared to OTA, they can't tell the difference.

I have 4 methods of getting HD locals via OTA. H20, HR10-250, HR20 and FusionHD card on Vista Media Center. I then also get network locals via the H20 and HR20. I cant really see a difference. There have been some issues with 8 mm issues on 1080i ones in the beginning but that issue is fixed and ancient history.

So on an eyeball basis, I cant really say the OTA is substantially better then the MPEG4 versions over sat via 4 different types of HDTVs (2 LCD's, CRT, Projection). I tend to use the OTA channels since I cant imagine they wouldnt be the best but its clear to me D* chose the right technology, has worked the bugs out, and should have a good future using MPEG4 going forward.

Really? If this is the case, that is a definite improvement. Are you a benefactor of those Mpeg-4 locals?

:hungry:

No, I am going off what people say here since mine aren't available yet. Scott said he couldn't even tell the difference between them in his thread about Directv.

Seems there might be a chance that the MPEG 4 could be better that OTA... what with sub-channels dragging some OTA broadcasts down.

I have two stations that have sub-channels and two that don't. I can't tell a difference at all on all the channels on OTA vs HD MPEG 4.

DirecTV's MPEG2 HD looks worse then Dish Networks, however DirecTV's MPEG4 HD looks BETTER then Dish Networks.

Lets hope this is a sign of whats to come iin the future. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)