Directv HD Local Spot Beam Coverage

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rjfrandle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2006
Minnesota
I have been trying to be patient with Directv and the whole HD Locals and Mpeg 4 DVR and everything. But you won't believe what I found out today. I finally decided to go ahead and get just the mpeg 4 receiver and 5 LNB dish for now, and wait for the DVR later. I currently have the HR-10. So I was just going to add a H20 to my system and swap the DVR later. I have two HD TV's anyway. I live in the Minneapolis market about 100 miles out...so I was excited to get HD locals since I am too far away to get them over the air. So they set me up with an install date of today...the guy shows up, and first the dish was missing one of the LNB's. So he calls in and they tell him it won't work that far out anyway because I am too far away from Minneapolis. I couldn't believe it!! Why would they go that far on an order not knowing it wouldn't work anyway. They said the spot beam only covers the Minneapolis St. Paul Metro area and won't be available further out for 6 months to 1 year. Is this common with the HD local spot beams? I don't want to wait any longer. Does Dish's spot beams cover a bigger area. Anyone have any ideas on what to do next, or am I screwed. Another year of Vikings in standard Def because I can't ge my local FOX station. :confused: My local cable is not an option either. No HD for who knows how long.

Coverage, or better yet availability is NOT based on distance but the zipcode database as reported to DBS by your claimed DMA; and any claimed zipcodes are covered once available.

don't take all installers, like CSRs at their word, they are not always right or mis-stating the info they think they know.

What is your current service zipcode? Did you verify yourself versus the zipcode availability tool yet or before ordering?

I currently get the Minneapolis locals in standard def. So I assumed the HD locals are available in my area now too since they added Minneapolis a few months back. Well, the installers today said they can't get the 5 LNB dishes to work outside the Minneapolis-St. Paul metro area. I call directv back, and of course I can't get anyone on the phone that know for sure if that is true. They credit my account, and I say can someone call me back and tell me if I can get them or not. They say they will try to get back to me. Tennis anyone??

According to Directv websight, Local HD channels from Minneapolis are available to me, but appently nobody told them that it only works if you live RIGHT in the metro area.
I don't know what to do now.:mad:

Get the install, and forget what the installer says and see/test for yourself. Trust the online database. You are still going to need the hardware anyway down the line, so get it upfront now on the cheap (or free depending on your specifics). I bet the HD LIL comes in fine. You can also POST YOUR ZIP, and wait for some area users that might be close to you by chance to post as well. OR you can wait it all out and do nothing; which seems like that would do no good as well

Only having the hardware installed, or seeing it an a local buddy's home will prove to you it works or not.

Last edited:
Thanks charper. I hate to spend more money only to find out it won't work. I would just go ahead and install it, but they said it could be another year before the local beam is expanded. I guess I'll do some more Dish research. Its my only other alternative.

Minneapolis HD Locals-How far away are you.

If you have the Minneapolis Locals from Directv....how far are you from the Twin Cities? I live 100 miles out, and an installer has told me I'm too far out for the spot beam to work, but Directv says I'm eligible. I don't know what to believe.

I pick up sd locals at my lake cabin on the SoDak border at 150 miles at least. I know that spot beam extends well into SD. If you are asking about HD locals I can not say - will be installing a new dish next week myself at 100 miles. The website shows HD locals available at my zip code. Do not believe/hope the spot beam is that small? The installer likely may not have a clue................

I would bet the farm that spot beam covers you 100 miles away, and cover you with a strong signal...

I know a guy here where I live (250 miles NW of Detroit) that got all the new hardware to see if he could pick up the Detroit spot beam (he "moved" so his service address in in the Detroit DMA)..

He picks up the signal, but it is spotty and not very reliable, but it does work..Again, this is from 250 miles away..

Like other posters have commented, you cannot count on anything that an installer or CSR says, you will have to take the chance and find out for yourself..But from 100 miles away I highly doubt you are taking much of a chance at all..

rjfrandle said:
If you have the Minneapolis Locals from Directv....how far are you from the Twin Cities? I live 100 miles out, and an installer has told me I'm too far out for the spot beam to work, but Directv says I'm eligible. I don't know what to believe.

Which direction is that 100 miles. I get the TC locals in HD perfectly up here in International Falls - 310 miles to the North..

The spot beam is not perfectly round with Miineapolis in the center. It is very possible Minneapolis could be toward the bottom of the Spot Beam with most of the spot beam covering the north (Since Bemidji is about the northern limit of the Minneapolis DMA)

One other thing, I read somewhere that DirecTV sent out a fault code load a couple fo weeks back which killed the signal meter on 99. The signal meter told me that 99 was Not Available but yet I was still getting a picture. When I called DirecTV about this, they told me the same thing about how I could not get the signal unless I lived in the immediate area. You might need to start with a brand new box which has not yet received the faulty code load.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.