DirecTV HD PQ and Installation Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Piratefan98

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 20, 2006
Hi,

I am considering a switch from Comcast Cable to DirecTV in order to get more HD channels (I am on a very old Comcast system, where old Adelphia equipment and technical limitations are keeping them from offer much in the way of HD. Only about 15 channels or so, and not much hope for more in the foreseeable future).

Anyway, just a couple questions.

1. My biggest concern is PQ on HD. While I only have around 15 HD channels on Comcast, they are really REALLY clear. Very crisp and tight picture quality, with almost no pixelation. In reading threads here and at AVS Forum, it seems that DirecTV's MPEG4 channels are performing well for most, but there are still some legacy MPEG2's in service? (ESPN, etc.). Anyway, to summarize this question ..... is DirecTV "knock your socks off" crisp and clear with its HD offerings?

2. Are there any issues with long cable runs? My dish will likely be pole mounted in my yard, resulting in runs of 100-125 feet to most of my rooms. Wasn't sure if this was a problem, or not.

3. And finally ... with installation .... do they bring the line into my house at the point where I currently distribute my Comcast feed? (i feed to 5 tv's from there). That would be nice, rather than running cables up along the house, drilling into walls, etc. Wasn't sure if that is the appoach that installers generally take or not.

Anyway .... any info or insight on those questions would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

There are some MPEG-2 left, but they look great now they don't have to share as much bandwidth anymore with all the stuff that's MPEG-4. Besides, your Comcast stuff is MPEG-2 right now; you'll only be getting better.

Your installer will determine what they are willing to do, but that length from everythign I've read is fine--longer you are getting into trouble. I'm not sure they will do a pole-mount for the newer dish though--it's pretty huge. Good luck :)

As for reusing cable wiring, it would have to be RG-6, and they have to all be homeruns (NO splitters) or else they will refuse to use it.

D* will do a pole mount, if you let them know that, thats what your planning on doing.

Your cable runs should not be a problem at all, some have run the 5 LNB out to about 200 ft without any trouble.

D* only has a few MPEG2 channels left as far as HD is concerned and yes your Comcast is mpeg2, which in it's self can do very nicely when not over saturated.
OTA channels are also running MPEG2 and they are boasted to be very very good picture wise.

Jimbo

Just a comment and/or question....

They would only do a pole mount free IF they can't find another suitable mount location for the standard mount; correct?

I've seen a bit of complaining about PQ here but I've noticed the biggest factor seems to be the original source material back to the cameras and editing that were used. Most movies also tend to be a bit soft looking in general.

Thanks to all for your input.

I really appreciate you taking the time.

Jeff

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)