directv hd programming

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dvx24p

Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
hi,

i just wanted to get some feedback on hd programming on directv. how does it compare to dish? also, how is sd programming on your hdtv set? i'm looking to do the switch from cable and deciding bewtween the two. thanks for any feedback! much appreciation!

I have both... Gonna keep both as I get the Distants with D* along with UHD. Having said that, the PQ on E* (dish) is much better than D* imho... E* has the V*10 channels which all look pretty good along with TNT. The Channels I have in common CbsHD east and west, Espnhd, Hdnet and Hdnet movies E* wins... Both providers sd pretty much sucks...the locals are way over compressed. Strangely SciFi looks fair to me on both along with a few others...

Add that only DirecTV offers all the HD networks if you qualify like I do and only they have the NFL sunday ticket with HD. I have also had both and there was zero noticeable PQ difference to me. I had the Dish811 and it was a total piece of crap. I wanted NFL and DirecTV has a much bigger and better plan for future expansion under way IMHO, so the keeper was a no brainer for me. Also, if you are in one of the top 12 DMAs, you might want to see all the new stuff DirecTV rolls out along with their new customer deals this fall.

Directv's PQ on their HD ch's isn't that good. I was going back and forth from OTA CBS and CBS that Direct is giving me in HD and even my wife could see a difference. I expect OTA to win, but hey thats the way things are now with Directv. Lets see what happens when MPEG4 rolls around. Lack of Hd programming and PQ combined is the reason why I had to cancel Direct's HD PACK.

OTA will always be better than any DBS or cable delivery because it is a uncompressed 1st generation signal.

charper1 said:
OTA will always be better than any DBS or cable delivery because it is a uncompressed 1st generation signal.
1. OTA is compressed Mpeg2 it is NOT uncompressed and it is not 1st generation.
2. OTA will not always look better then sat or cable, it can look far worse if your affiliate is multicasting enough.

charper1 said:

OTA is NOT uncompressed, it is compressed mpeg2 usually at 19.3mbps max. Cband runs around 45 mbps I think and thats still compressed.
OTA will not always look better than sat or cable. If your local affiliate is multicasting then OTA can look worse.

Status
Please reply by conversation.