Directv HD Quality!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

greaser00

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
Is it me or does it seem that the HD picture has decreased in quality of late. I recently added an HD DVR and the picture on both receivers seem to have blocking in the picture.

Is it me or does it seem that the HD picture has decreased in quality of late. I recently added an HD DVR and the picture on both receivers seem to have blocking in the picture.

Must be you, mines looked fine all along ...
Mpeg4 looks better than Mpeg2 but thats always been the case.

Jimbo

If you are getting blocking, then you likely have alignment issues. Check all of your connections. What are your signal strengths?

I've actually been thinking the opposite. The past few days the quality of the MPEG4 movies I've watched (starz and cinemax especially) has seemed pretty close to blu-ray and hd-dvd to my eyes.

I also recently changed over to the HR-21.

I've seen no flaws in the PQ since switching.

Of course that's in between all the snow storms and 60 MPH winds.

On a side note, I do find it interesting that people automatically assume it's D* that's the problem.

So many variables enter into the reception equation, why assume it's D* degrading the PQ? and not your hardware that's changed. (loose connections, slight misalignment etc)

D*'s HD picture has steadily declined since launch. I haven't seen any blocking, but the picture just keeps getting softer and softer, like they've installed a color sponge. I have Comcast to compare and contrast, and their HD PQ just keeps getting stronger with more and more color saturation. Of course, they are using full bitrate, 1920x1080, MPEG-2 technology, so maybe it's not much of a fair comparison.

On an HR20, I have seen no degradation of quality. I rarely watch any SD programming. Over the last few weeks, it seems that a few of the channels have had slight improvements in quality.

Several I have seen with PQ issues begrudgingly admitted playing around with the resolution settings. For instance, one had set his receiver to always display 720p on his set. He has a 1080i native set and was watching a 1080i channel. Amazingly, his picture quality wasn't as good as using the native display resolution on his set.

I've been with DirecTV so long that I don't have any comparison to make between cable and satellite PQ, never seen it. I do have a very good antenna for OTA and very strong signal so my comparison is from those sources. That said, I'd have to say I can't see much, if any, difference in PQ as both are outstanding. If I have a problem it's that sometimes the audio/video get out of synch on DirecTV but rarely with OTA. I'd have to come down on the side of saying there are so many variables that I have trouble saying it's all DirecTV's fault when something goes wrong with the PQ.

We were watching HGTV-HD this afternoon and we commented how beautiful the picture quality was. I think the quality on the BigTen network for basketball has also been outstanding, better than ESPN HD. So in a nutshell, I don't think the picture quality is suffering.

D*'s HD picture has steadily declined since launch. I haven't seen any blocking, but the picture just keeps getting softer and softer, like they've installed a color sponge. I have Comcast to compare and contrast, and their HD PQ just keeps getting stronger with more and more color saturation. Of course, they are using full bitrate, 1920x1080, MPEG-2 technology, so maybe it's not much of a fair comparison.

ya right

No degradation on my system. Maybe something wrong with the system/connections/alignment of the people claiming to see problems.

I've actually been thinking the opposite. The past few days the quality of the MPEG4 movies I've watched (starz and cinemax especially) has seemed pretty close to blu-ray and hd-dvd to my eyes.
Thats not technically possible unless you do not have a 1080p set.

It also depends on what gets sent from the provider to Directv. USA-HD when they have been showing RAW gets really bad when there are lights in the background and the wrestlers are moving around in front of them.

So far I have had no complaints with the pq. I watched the democrats debate on CNN and I was surprised on the clarity of the picture. All now I am waiting for is all channels to go MPEG 4

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)