DirecTV HD Reception Problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

franknd

Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
A little over a year ago I got the MPEG-4/5LNB dish with HD (non-Tivo/non-DVR) receiver. In general, the HD on my locals and ESPN has been okay, although the network HDs often pixelize to the point of unwatchability during sports (though ESPN almost never does). However, HD on MLB Extra Innings broadcasts has been absolutely horrible. More often than not I get no picture and the "771 -- searching for satellite signal" message. Also, the upper 290 channels (PBS Sprout, etc., which my kids watch) often go out. None of this happens on my other TVs w/standard receivers. In other words, the reception problem is limited to the HD receiver/TV. Had a tech come out finally, and he fiddled with it, but no improvement, at least as to the HD issue.
Anyone experienced this and, more importantly, have a solution?
I've been with DirecTV for 12+ years and am ready to pull the plug over this. Essentially, I can't seem to get the only HD that I really want, so cable can't be worse.

A little over a year ago I got the MPEG-4/5LNB dish with HD (non-Tivo/non-DVR) receiver. In general, the HD on my locals and ESPN has been okay, although the network HDs often pixelize to the point of unwatchability during sports (though ESPN almost never does). However, HD on MLB Extra Innings broadcasts has been absolutely horrible. More often than not I get no picture and the "771 -- searching for satellite signal" message. Also, the upper 290 channels (PBS Sprout, etc., which my kids watch) often go out. None of this happens on my other TVs w/standard receivers. In other words, the reception problem is limited to the HD receiver/TV. Had a tech come out finally, and he fiddled with it, but no improvement, at least as to the HD issue.
I've been with DirecTV for 12+ years and am ready to pull the plug over this. Essentially, I can't seem to get the only HD that I really want, so cable can't be worse.

Are you using a multiswitch, and is it a Zinwell 6x8? If so, try changing the port you are using for the hd receiver. It could be a bad switch. Also, check all of your connections to be sure they are tight. It's possible the dish needs adjusting, or maybe it's a bad receiver. Either way, call D* and have them come back and fix it if you can't do it yourself.

Thanks. As for the multiswitch question, I don't think so, but what would it be used for? And in any event, I assume it's something that would be screwed right into the receiver? If so, then definitely not.

It would help to have more details about your current system. For example, how many receivers do you have, what model are they, if you are using a multiswitch or ground block (it does not connect to the receiver but is usually outside where ever the cables from your dish connect to the cables in your house), what signal strengths you are getting on each satellite, do you have any possible LOS issues, etc....

It would help to have more details about your current system. For example, how many receivers do you have, what model are they, if you are using a multiswitch or ground block (it does not connect to the receiver but is usually outside where ever the cables from your dish connect to the cables in your house), what signal strengths you are getting on each satellite, do you have any possible LOS issues, etc....
I can answer at least some of this now that I'm home. First, I have three receivers, two of which are non-HD and which I have never had a problem with. That would lead me to believe that the problem isn't the dish. My third receiver is an H20, and that's the one I have the problem with. Further, I can tell you that the problem is limited to channels 290-298 and the sports package HDs (i.e. MLB EI HDs) and not ESPN HD, Discovery HD, etc. Additionally, I normally don't have a problem with network HDs.
Later, I'll try and post the signal strengths, but as I mentioned in my original post, I went over those in some detail with the DTV rep on the phone, and she indicated that wasn't the problem based on the readings I gave her. Also, as I said, I never have reception problems with the other receivers, so that would suggest that it's not a signal strength problem, wouldn't it? Oh, one more thing, my dish is on my roof and completely unobstructed.
I don't know anything about multi-switch or ground block and, frankly, wouldn't begin to know where to look for that. I can tell you that there was a stray B-Band converter lying around, so I stuck that into the back of the receiver and that didn't make any difference, fwiw.

More specificity about the non-HD receivers required: are there any DVRs involved?

The direction that we're going is indeed calling your dish assembly into question. It is possible that the switch in the LNBF assembly isn't working right and whacking the missing channels.

A quick test would be to swap the H20 with one of the other receivers and see if the problem follows the receiver or the cable. The RCA video out connection should be sufficient for testing purposes, so make sure the TV that you swap with has at least an RCA video input.

More specificity about the non-HD receivers required: are there any DVRs involved?

The direction that we're going is indeed calling your dish assembly into question. It is possible that the switch in the LNBF assembly isn't working right and whacking the missing channels.

A quick test would be to swap the H20 with one of the other receivers and see if the problem follows the receiver or the cable. The RCA video out connection should be sufficient for testing purposes, so make sure the TV that you swap with has at least an RCA video input.
No DVRs on any receiver. The non-HD receiver in my bedroom is Samsung SIR-S70. I'll have to check the other one tomorrow (it's in our houseguest's room). Good idea about swapping the receivers. I'll give that a whirl. BTW, you're referring to the RCA video output on the H20, right?

Dude i wish i could help you but i myself have been experiencing the same prob i have the HR21 HDDVR reciever and almost all the new HD channels come in the same and the thing that frustrates me is im paying extra for the new HD channels Espn News SNY,YES network and so on any one of the newly Launched HD Channels come pixeled or not at all and alot of times when its not even raining So i would also like help with this prob

I have a hd dvr unit. I have the same issue. Most, if not all HD channels get the "771 on 2" The "2" is the key as that I'm told this is the problem. I switched my cables and also switched the small boxes on the inputs. Nothing changed, same 771 on 2 error. Real bad on local HD stations. I use the LNB connector and have no other splitters. I have two other dvr's non-dvr rec connected to the 5-lnb dish. I's been work fine for over 9 months. All of my test showed 85% or better. Seems I get nothing on 103c and 103s. or is that 130c and 130s, I forget.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)