DirecTV Helps TiVo Cut 3Q Losses

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cablewithaview

Stand against retrans!!!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 18, 2005
DeKalb County, AL
TiVo Inc. posted a net loss of $14.2 million, or $0.17 per share, in its fiscal third quarter ended Oct. 31, compared with a net loss of $26.4 million ($0.33) in the year-ago period.

The digital-video-recorder vendor said service and technology revenues rose 52% to $43.2 million from $28.4 million in the previous-year quarter.

TiVo said total subscriptions as of Oct. 31 were 4.008 million, representing 74% growth during the past year. Total net new-subscription additions in the quarter were 434,000, up from 419,000 in the third quarter of last year.

TiVo-owned gross subscription additions were 92,000 for the quarter versus 119,000 in the year-earlier period. TiVo-owned net subscription additions were 55,000 compared with 103,000 in the third quarter of last year. DirecTV Inc. net subscription additions were 379,000 for the quarter compared with 316,000 in the prior-year period.

“Three factors affected our results: more cable competition; a far greater increase in DirecTV subscriptions following a rebate program that offered an effectively free TiVo DVR; and our own marketing program that started well into the quarter compared to the full quarter last year,” TiVo CEO Tom Rogers said in a prepared statement.

“We are focused on growing our subscription base through three major efforts: by reinvigorating our sales and marketing efforts; differentiating ourselves from generic DVRs with unique features; and continuing to develop partnerships and alliances to further broaden TiVo's reach,” he added.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6287679.html?display=Breaking+News&referral=SUPP&nid=2226

Tivo may have hit a high in subscriptions, because their DTV subscribers will decline, and their over the air subscribers @ $13 per month must be on the decline. Until they figure out a business model with substantially lower revenues per subscriber, their goose is cooked, IMHO.

And will all the Current Directv subs move to their DVR. I currently have Tivo, and I dont see a urgent reason to move to the Directv version

satjay said:
And will all the Current Directv subs move to their DVR. I currently have Tivo, and I dont see a urgent reason to move to the Directv version
I didn't move to the D* DVR so to speak, but, I did buy one this past weekend. I have to say I am impressed with it. Guides and menu's are much faster than the Tivo, and has 90 minute buffers not 30. The overall feel of the menu is actually quite nice. Haven't had a lot of time to mess around with setting recordings or setting "season passes" on it, but from what I read in the manual it is simply 2 clicks of the Record on the remote while in the guide. I still have 2 DirecTivo's in my house that I don't think I will be able to tear myself away from though. Both models are nice to have.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts