DirecTV Home Setup Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

CharlesColeman8

Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
Central PA
I have been with DirecTV for over 10 years now. After years of slowly adding equipment, my setup now includes 4 HD DVRs - (1) HR24, (1) HR22, (2) HR20s - and (2) H24 HD receivers. I do not have the Whole-Home feature activated. Is there a better and/or cheaper way to configure my setup?

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

Do you have any issues with your setup? Do you want Whole Home? Do you have a swm setup?

I have no problems with the setup other than the fact that the HR22 and the HR20s are irritatingly slow. I was just wondering if there was a cheaper (I am obviously paying for 4 dvrs) or better (I have not really kept up with newer innovations like Whole Home; etc...) way of configuring my system. Any advice would be appreciated.

You could go with the new HR34. It has five tuners and would give you more recording options. Your cost could be as much as $399 from Directv since you are an existing customer. Many have gotten it at a reduced price. You might be able to speed up your HR20s and HR22 buy doing this: Go to channel one and leave it there for 30 seconds. Then press these buttons on your remote quickly, red, red, blue, blue, yellow, green. You should see nvram cleared in small white letters in the lower left corner.

I didn't want to start a new thread about something that is very similiar to what Charles is asking but I also don't want to pirate his thread so I apologize in advance Charles if I am doing so. I just found this site and it appears that there are a lot of people on here who know a TON about Directv. I have been a faithful member for 14 years, even moved 3x with their service but have really not done anything outside the norm with it. In reading many threads on here about how a lot of longtime subscribers are getting "perks" for staying on vs. leaving and I would like to join in...

I currently only have 2 HD DVR boxes (1-HR22-100 and 1-HR24 - 200, though I am not sure of the diff btw the 2). I had 4 boxes but 2 of them were about 5-6 years old and died within the last 6 months so I am down to 2. My 2 yr contract ends next week and I spoke with a CSR last night who told me that I should check out the new package offerings online to see if I wanted to change to something else. I currently have the Choice Extra Classic Package which doesn't appear to be offered any longer. I have looked over the online stuff and see that I can get the Whole-Home DVR. The CSR told me that I could get that for free (aside from install charges) if I signed up for 2 more years. I don't mind signing up for another contract bc I love Directv and don't plan on leaving but I want to know what all I can get out of this scenario. Can someone help me with me knowing what all is out there? Thanks in advance for the help.

CharlesColeman8 said:
I have no problems with the setup other than the fact that the HR22 and the HR20s are irritatingly slow. I was just wondering if there was a cheaper (I am obviously paying for 4 dvrs) or better (I have not really kept up with newer innovations like Whole Home; etc...) way of configuring my system. Any advice would be appreciated.

My HR20-700 seemed to get faster after I cracked it open and put in a 2TB hard drive. I did it within a day or two of being told by D* that I now own it. Browsing the list of recordings is still painfully slow, but I'll trade that for the OTA tuner. Generally, it sped up.

I didn't want to start a new thread about something that is very similiar to what Charles is asking but I also don't want to pirate his thread so I apologize in advance Charles if I am doing so. I just found this site and it appears that there are a lot of people on here who know a TON about Directv. I have been a faithful member for 14 years, even moved 3x with their service but have really not done anything outside the norm with it. In reading many threads on here about how a lot of longtime subscribers are getting "perks" for staying on vs. leaving and I would like to join in...

I currently only have 2 HD DVR boxes (1-HR22-100 and 1-HR24 - 200, though I am not sure of the diff btw the 2). I had 4 boxes but 2 of them were about 5-6 years old and died within the last 6 months so I am down to 2. My 2 yr contract ends next week and I spoke with a CSR last night who told me that I should check out the new package offerings online to see if I wanted to change to something else. I currently have the Choice Extra Classic Package which doesn't appear to be offered any longer. I have looked over the online stuff and see that I can get the Whole-Home DVR. The CSR told me that I could get that for free (aside from install charges) if I signed up for 2 more years. I don't mind signing up for another contract bc I love Directv and don't plan on leaving but I want to know what all I can get out of this scenario. Can someone help me with me knowing what all is out there? Thanks in advance for the help.

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

The HR24 is the newest two tuner dvr. It's generally faster than the older models. I think it has a larger hard drive than your HR22. Getting the whole home dvr shouldn't require a new contract. Call back and ask specifically about that. You might want to consider the new HR34. It's a 5 tuner dvr and would get you a new two year contract. The cost would vary from $99 to $399 to upgrade.

Chip - Thanks for the welcome as well as for the information. Re: the HR 34, is the primary benefit of this box being that it would allow me to record 5 things at one time? Is there any other benefit to it? I watch a good amount of tv but I can't say it is ever enough that there are 3 things on at the same time (maybe on a few occasions but I can always record the 3rd on the 2nd box). I will still look into it though. Also, I think the whole-home dvr was only part of the package that the CSR mentioned that would require a contract. One other part was them throwing in 3 HD boxes with it. Aside from the boxes, are there any other costs associated with whole-home package?

Also, what are some other bells and whistles that are new(er) to Direct that I should look into doing/getting? Thanks again!

The extra boxes is what would get the two year commitment, not the whole-home. They charge $3/month for it. The HR34 has pip.

raoul5788 said:
The extra boxes is what would get the two year commitment, not the whole-home. They charge $3/month for it. The HR34 has pip.

Having a whole home upgrade would warrant a 2 year commitment too

I have been with DirecTV for over 10 years now. After years of slowly adding equipment, my setup now includes 4 HD DVRs - (1) HR24, (1) HR22, (2) HR20s - and (2) H24 HD receivers. I do not have the Whole-Home feature activated. Is there a better and/or cheaper way to configure my setup?

:welcome to SatelliteGuys and this is the best source for information and best site on the web :)

Whitewolf - thanks for the welcome and I would agree that this is the best source for this information. It only strengthens my belief that I don't know anything about this stuff :confused: but really want to learn.

Chip/Hutch - Thanks for all of the information. Let me know if this sounds like something that would seem sensible: keep the two boxes I have (they haven't given me any issues and I have a lot recorded on both right now) and add the Whole-Home DVR. Additionally, add another box and request the HR 34 for as cheap as I can get it for. That would leave me with whole-home dvr, the 34 in the main room, and the other two would be split btw the bedroom and the basement. I had a 4th tv but it was in my office that I don't use really anymore so I don't think that it's needed. Any reason to have an extra one, aside from personal preference? Also, any other toy's/add-ons that I should be aware of? I plan on calling tonight and pushing for as much free/given to me upfront as possible given that my contract is up. Thanks again for the help!

You would likely get the best deal from the retention department. To get there call and say "cancel" at the prompt. Keep in mind that occasionally they will hardline you and not give much, but it's your best shot for the best deal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)