Directv HR20 1080P leaked

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Not going to buy a 1080p unit until channels are a few channels are in 1080p and I get my 1080p projector. Ill be skipping this one.

Id like some FULL resolution 1080i and 720p channels before providers even start worrying with 1080p.
Can I say amen again?

Isnt this a case of the cart being ahead of the horse? 1080p support with downrezzed 1080i, ummm ok.

Granted 1440x1080i isnt a big deal to me, BUT dont go supporting 1080p until we have 1920x1080i.

ditto. I think maybe they are just trying to latch onto the latest craze in AV technology with all these 1080p set being readily available. Of course the only 1080p source material is HD-DVD/BluRay. I can imagine that those HD movies look good on 1080p sets, but not sure how much "filler" the sets would have to inject to make a less than full bitrate signal to look good. And how artificial would that up-rezzed image appear?

Id like to wonder if a 1080i conversion to 1080p on a 1080p looks any better than a 1080i conversion to 720p looks that much different.

I still feel 1080p is only good right now with larger size sets (60"'s) from shorter distances. I have a 46" set at 12 feet, not too worried about it.

It cracks me up the people need these big HD's in there DVR's. ( HD Envy)? When will they ever have time to watch 100 hours of stuff, If they couldn't watch it in the first place when they recorded it. Anything over 40 hours of HD is a waste. Most people record the night before and watch it will that nights shows are being recorded. No Commercials. And the Optic HDMI maybe they meant to put a & between the 2 words. [Optical & HDMI] Thats what most use for there set-up's Run the HDMI to the HDTV and the Optic to the Surround Receiver. Yes?

Most of you guys would NOT buy one of these. The cost on this professional unit is going to be over the $1,000 mark.

There is another HR21 coming out that will be a non pro model. I have not heard anything on the internal hard drive size, the only thing I know is it will not have a ATSC OTA tuner in it.

Pretty pathetic, a PRO model will be unable to record OTA signals ..

DirecTV will never carry all the sub-channels of each OTA feed and will take forever to have all main HD loclas up.

This is absolutely a smack in the face of the people who do not have HD locals ( and sub-channels) from DirecTV yet, also those who want to DVR there OTA.

Technology is to move fwd, not a screeching halt then go in reverse. as DirecTV is doing, making more advances recievers with less features ... not cool

and by the way 1080p has 2 flavors 24 FPS & 60 FPS

Last edited:
It cracks me up the people need these big HD's in there DVR's. ( HD Envy)? When will they ever have time to watch 100 hours of stuff, If they couldn't watch it in the first place when they recorded it. Anything over 40 hours of HD is a waste. Most people record the night before and watch it will that nights shows are being recorded. No Commercials. And the Optic HDMI maybe they meant to put a & between the 2 words. [Optical & HDMI] Thats what most use for there set-up's Run the HDMI to the HDTV and the Optic to the Surround Receiver. Yes?

If directv would allow a way to transfer programs from and to pcs and other dvrs, you wouldn't need such a large hard drive. As it stands now, if you like to archive much of anything and watch it again later in hd quality, you will fill up the current drives fast.

Excuse my ignorance but what good is a 1080p dvr if the provider doesnt transmit in 1080p? Or are we looking at the future? Or has Directv began transmitting in 1080p that I dont know about? :eek:
If so, my Sony 50" 1080p doesnt know about it either. :D

The actual 1080p displays that I've seen would blow away anything Directv has before or after mpeg4.

Excuse my ignorance but what good is a 1080p dvr if the provider doesnt transmit in 1080p? Or are we looking at the future? Or has Directv began transmitting in 1080p that I dont know about? :eek:
If so, my Sony 50" 1080p doesnt know about it either. :D

The actual 1080p displays that I've seen would blow away anything Directv has before or after mpeg4.

1080p is amount of lines scanned ....

and 1080p has 2 frame rates, 1st we will have 23 FPS then 60.

so on dvd's. we will have double dips and triple dips, based just on frame rate

Swampman,
So far, No TV programming is sent out in 1080p.
Blu RAy / HD DVD and many games are the onlt things I can think of in 1080p at the moment.

Jimbo

Okay, yeah, it's neat and all, but my questions:
1- How "commonplace" is DLI (Optical HDMI)? Is this something I can pickup at CC or BB? Never seen it, much less heard of it, so truly don't know.
2- 100 Hours recording...claims this is twice as much as HR20. Is this based on the MPEG4 calculation of space? I thought the HR20 only could handle about 30-40 hours HD. So my math would put this as "more than 2x the HR20."
3- I assume the rack mounts are removable for those customers who don't have rack rooms/closets for their gear...?
4- Like the H21, why does this not have the ATSC tuner built-in? I would think that if this unit was truly built for the high-end consumer, they would throw every friggin bell and whistle into this thing that they had space for. :p
5- I don't suppose they would consider a free upgrade from HR10-250 to this baby, huh? :D

1080P over DirecTV???? That's like a turbocharger on a Yugo. What difference will 1080P make when they still don't have the bandwidth to get rid of all the pixelization?

Swampman,
So far, No TV programming is sent out in 1080p.
Blu RAy / HD DVD and many games are the onlt things I can think of in 1080p at the moment.

Jimbo

And it is my understanding that it will be many, many years before it is even thought of making it available. The reason is the bandwidth is so huge in 1080p, that no one will touch it for a long time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts