Directv HR44 vs Mediacom Tivo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jborchel

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
Anyone here have experience with both of these? I'm considering switching from DTV with my Genie HR44 to the Mediacom Tivo. Not sure which Tivo it is but just like the Genie it is a DVR + client concept. I'm interested mostly in video quality comparison and functional capabilities. Hopefully someone here has had this experience.

Video quality is going to be tough because cable varies by market. Some of their imaging looks like the Tivo Premiere and then tivo mini's but I cannot confirm. Should output Native just like the HR44 for 720p and 1080i.

I have a Roamio I use for OTA alongside the HR44, and I actually prefer the HR44 overall (menu's, etc.). The Roamio has the commercial skip option which is better than Dish's autohop implementation by far, BUT, I am not sure if Mediacom allows that.

I have used the Genie, hopper system, and now Tivos (bolt and Roamio). I much prefer the tivo setup. I am basing that on the two models that I have experience with of course, and other models may not offer the same experience.

Never used the HR44 -- I switched to Mediacom when I had two HR21s and one HR22. I find the Pace box with TiVo that Mediacom uses far superior to those DirecTV boxes. Picture quality is good enough in most cases.

The TiVo is awesome. Don't know if Mediacom has a defer quality service
It varies. I see a lot of issues on the company's support forums. But in Des Moines I've gotten reasonably good PQ and consistent access. Just wish they'd have more sports channels.

Thanks for the info guys. I haven't pulled the trigger yet as I am thinking of getting a 4K projector for my video room and Mediacom doesn't offer 4K yet. I was looking at the change because the 3-Way bundle, TV-Internet-Phone offered by Mediacom is 1/2 price for 12 months to what I currently pay. One way for me to cut my cost big time is to go with a VOIP sett up for phone to replave my landline. Anyone have experience with VOIP? Is it OK?

Thanks for the info guys. I haven't pulled the trigger yet as I am thinking of getting a 4K projector for my video room and Mediacom doesn't offer 4K yet. I was looking at the change because the 3-Way bundle, TV-Internet-Phone offered by Mediacom is 1/2 price for 12 months to what I currently pay. One way for me to cut my cost big time is to go with a VOIP sett up for phone to replave my landline. Anyone have experience with VOIP? Is it OK?
I have used Mediacom VOIP since December 2014 and used Vonage VOIP before that. It works fine -- as long as the internet is up. If it goes down, you lose your VOIP phone as well. However, since most people have mobile phones now, that isn't as much of a crisis as it used to be.

I have not found anything as cost-effective as Mediacom's XTream bundle. Unless the TV service and/or channel lineup and/or hardware in your area totally eat it, I would recommend trying it. Mediacom will give you 90 days without commitment, and you should be able to suspend your satellite service to see if Mediacom suits your needs. If not, nothing lost. Good luck!

Thanks for that reference. Any rumors of Mediacom having 4K offering similar to D*?

The TiVo is awesome. Don't know if Mediacom has a defer quality service

The TiVo is certainly awesome compared to D*'s equipment and most other cable equipment, but just not up to the Hopper.

Mediacom, like every cable system, is a mixed bag. In some areas they are just fine, in others not so much. In my neighborhood the cable internet service is excellent but the TV service is not. PQ is fine but too much pixelation and short picture losses.

And the biggest problem with Mediacom is that you can't do much with them without calling. They won't do things by chat or email, they won't even confirm what 'deal' you may have struck with them via chat or email either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for that reference. Any rumors of Mediacom having 4K offering similar to D*?

I've not seen anything from any source even giving slight hints that Mediacom has 4K plans. That would lead me to believe that if they ever do, it will be at least a year and more probably, much longer. They are not a cutting edge company in any respects.

A couple of other things with Mediacom.

1. They do have the 90 day cancellation policy for those willing to go under contract for specified periods, usually at least a year.

2. BUT, they also have discounted deals with no contract at all. The difference between a commitment and and open end is at the start of the 2nd year. Those under contracts generally get a little better deal than those that don't. Looking at the numbers I was given, you'd have to be completely nuts to go under contract.

3. The Pace XG1 TiVo powered setup is the only one that is worth getting from them. Their older receivers and DVRs are complete junk.

4. If you look at their triple-play it is a good deal, but be careful as time goes by because the phone really skyrockets in cost.

A couple of other things with Mediacom.

1. They do have the 90 day cancellation policy for those willing to go under contract for specified periods, usually at least a year.

2. BUT, they also have discounted deals with no contract at all. The difference between a commitment and and open end is at the start of the 2nd year. Those under contracts generally get a little better deal than those that don't. Looking at the numbers I was given, you'd have to be completely nuts to go under contract.

3. The Pace XG1 TiVo powered setup is the only one that is worth getting from them. Their older receivers and DVRs are complete junk.

4. If you look at their triple-play it is a good deal, but be careful as time goes by because the phone really skyrockets in cost.

All good points. The quality of TV service in my area of Des Moines is quite good. Nothing I can't live with.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts