DIRECTV in Las Vegas

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Agreed, however at this point though the content on channel 104 leaves a lot to be desired as it's the same stuff just repeating over and over again. At this point for me it's just good for flipping on when you have friends over and want to show them something in 4K.

Reminds me of the old VOOM days. :)

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Clearly AT&T is betting on this technology working in the future, but it is unlikely that it will happen in the next 5, maybe even 10 years. There are tons of things that have to go right, both logistically and regulatory to allow something like this to ultimately deliver TV to the masses. Nothing wrong with looking to the future, but I think the "sky is falling" discussion has gone a little overboard. Until broadband becomes a reality for most of America they would be stupid to entirely exit the satellite business. I'm sure Dish is licking their chops at that possibility though. Such an event would make Dish the only player in town for many.

What COULD very well happy is a hybrid solution like what we've talked about in the past. Once the SD channels are phased out their dependence on satellite capacity will be much lower unless 4K really takes off. With the two newest satellites they've launched basically sitting idle they have two spares as well. I could easily envision a strategy similar to the one SiriusXM has used with their satellite radio eventually where a core package of channels is transmitted nationally via satellite, but local channels and other less popular stations are either transmitted using these newer networks they are testing or over traditional streaming like Netflix, etc are today. SiriusXM does the same thing. They have their satellite radio channels, but offer many others that are streaming only.

5G is going to be a game changer. Gigabit minimally to every person in the us. 4K will take off, and you are forgetting one piece to the puzzle in the 4k game. That is ATSC 3.0 wich is being pushed by the FCC and broadcasters. The increased bandwidth from the change in transmission combined with better compression gives broadcasters the opportunity to have 4K channels or even share RF frequencies between stations. The FCC is hell bent on gutting TV spectrum for wireless. I don't see Dish being the only option for many once 5G is deployed to the masses and providers like ATT and Tmobile can now offer Video over IP to the masses. The only place that this might be an issue is in extremely rural areas where the population base isn't.

Clearly AT&T is betting on this technology working in the future, but it is unlikely that it will happen in the next 5, maybe even 10 years. There are tons of things that have to go right, both logistically and regulatory to allow something like this to ultimately deliver TV to the masses. Nothing wrong with looking to the future, but I think the "sky is falling" discussion has gone a little overboard. Until broadband becomes a reality for most of America they would be stupid to entirely exit the satellite business. I'm sure Dish is licking their chops at that possibility though. Such an event would make Dish the only player in town for many.

What COULD very well happy is a hybrid solution like what we've talked about in the past. Once the SD channels are phased out their dependence on satellite capacity will be much lower unless 4K really takes off. With the two newest satellites they've launched basically sitting idle they have two spares as well. I could easily envision a strategy similar to the one SiriusXM has used with their satellite radio eventually where a core package of channels is transmitted nationally via satellite, but local channels and other less popular stations are either transmitted using these newer networks they are testing or over traditional streaming like Netflix, etc are today. SiriusXM does the same thing. They have their satellite radio channels, but offer many others that are streaming only.
They need put streaming tv on the same level as cable tv with at least OTA channels. (no more watch feeds just the full OTA feed (in market feeds)) at least on fixed home hookups and mobile same rules as cable channels

BTW I already asked about a all in one Genie that can output 4K and was told that such a box is in the works however they do not expect it to be available for over a year. So for now a HR54 and C61K or 4K RVU tv are needed to watch 4K from DIRECTV.

Debating whether to upgrade to a 4k box now or wait for the new one. Still think paying for a mini-genie on a TV I currently have attached directly to a genie isn't worth the cost for 3 channels.

Though I'm due for a bi-annual free upgrade.

If they come out with some additional worthwhile channels it'll be worth it; if I wait too long though I'm just putting off my next free upgrade if they come out with an awesome new box.

Decisions, decisions...

So can you put the HR54 on another TV and hen the C61K where your current Genie is? Cost would be the sam that way.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

So can you put the HR54 on another TV and hen the C61K where your current Genie is? Cost would be the sam that way.

I'm gonna assume that the new box would also be a Genie, unless they change rules, you still can only have 1 per account, the new one OR the HR54 ...

I'm gonna assume that the new box would also be a Genie, unless they change rules, you still can only have 1 per account, the new one OR the HR54 ...
Sorry, forgot to say replace the current Genie with the HR54

And if you only have one tv?...or worse nowhere to place that big brick in a bedroom?

Just remember that the client doesn't do picture-in-picture like the Genie's do if that's something important to you.

Reactions: AZ.
Ok, pulled the trigger, installing Monday.

While I've seen no reference to this the CSR said the Super Bowl will be shown on one of the channels in 4Kl and that PIP works on the mini clients.

I'm pretty sure as someone here has already pointed out the latter probably isn't true, and I'm very skeptical about the former too!

Clients do not do PIP, only the Genie does. As for the Super Bowl I'd say no since it would have to be a national feed which means no local station ads.

Clients do not do PIP, only the Genie does. As for the Super Bowl I'd say no since it would have to be a national feed which means no local station ads.

No PIP but double play.

I wonder if they could insert local commercials into a 4K feed like they do now for some of the "cable" channels?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)