DirecTV in Manhattan, New York

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lrandthejack

Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
New York
Hello,

I will be moving to Manhattan, New York soon, and I am looking to find an apartment with DirecTV. However, after doing an initial search, it seems like very few apartments in Manhattan have DirecTV. I spoke with DirecTV and they did not have a list of apartments which currently are wired for DirecTV and or have a central satellite.

I was wondering if anyone has a list or if anyone knows how I can determine which apartment buildings are wired for DirecTV or allow people to install their own satellites?

I would think you would have better luck finding one that allows you to have your own.
Generally, if the apt is wired for D* you'll be limited to your packages as the building is set up for the building as a whole.

Ex. possibly set up for SD but not HD ...
Wanting HD could be an issue as the building is set up one way and you can't just change to HD without alot of modifications that the building probably won't want to pay for.

Hello,

I will be moving to Manhattan, New York soon, and I am looking to find an apartment with DirecTV. However, after doing an initial search, it seems like very few apartments in Manhattan have DirecTV. I spoke with DirecTV and they did not have a list of apartments which currently are wired for DirecTV and or have a central satellite.

I was wondering if anyone has a list or if anyone knows how I can determine which apartment buildings are wired for DirecTV or allow people to install their own satellites?

As you shop around learn to visualize where a dish must be to "see" satellites in the SW from NY. IF you have a tall building in your LOS (Line of Sight) you will not be able to get Directv. No LOS ends installations all over the country but the reason is usually trees. NY, NY has tall buildings, right?

Know that if you have a SW window the Directv dish will "see" (acquire signal lock) through the window glass. Bolt the dish to a wooden table & enjoy the commercials.

Joe

Unless the dish is installed on the roof of the building, there is probably very little chance of having line of sight from a balcony in Manhattan. Central Park and Upper west/east side are your best bets.

Unless the dish is installed on the roof of the building, there is probably very little chance of having line of sight from a balcony in Manhattan. Central Park and Upper west/east side are your best bets.
bruin95,

True dat!.........My thought was that depending on the floor involved......a roof mount would not help. I see a box of cable (500ft) blowing in the wind to a unit window only twenty floors below the roof etc.
Cities are CATV country. Directv doesn't seem to pay more for city installs and just parking in Manhattan can cost more than the installation. This is Western civilization.........yous takes what's offered!:cool:

Joe

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts