DirecTV Install Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rickshobbies

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2005
Hello,

I have Dish at the moment with a 522 (single mode), a 510 and a 301. I have a new home and didn't want holes poked in the walls, so Dish was able to use the single line going to my main TV to the dual tuners on the 522. To do this, they used a DPP44 and then seperated the signal out to my 2 522 tuners after the cable left the wall behind my TV. The 510 of course is single tuner, so that was easy enough, as was the 301.

Now, because of the HD outlook on DirecTV, I am thinking about switching.

I would want their HD DVR in the main TV room, and one SD DVR and one SD plain receiver in the other rooms. I see that DirecTV DVRs have dual inputs, so what I want to know is if DirecTV can support the single cable connections to dual tuners in a similar way that Dish is doing it. Do they have something like the DPP44 that Dish used to make this possible? I want to avoid running new cables and poking holes in the walls.

Lastly, it looks like DirecTV can receive HD and SD with a single dish. With Dish, it looks like adding a second dish will be a requirement as their HD grows (right now just for CBS).

My homeowner's association will not allow more than one dish to be mounted, and no OTA antenae's at all apparently. So, I need to get my HD from the same dish I get SD from.

Regards,

Rick

homeowners associations can not prevent u from putting up an antenna nor a dish or 2 .and unlike dish's 2 turner recievers u can just hook up one line up to the directivo recievers . i beleve the same holds true for the hd tivo . the main reason for the second input is to record 2 shows at once .

I would want to keep the 2 tuner functionality (watch one show and record another) on the main TV. The rest can be in single tuner mode.

As for the HOA, yeah, they can prevent you from doing anything that is in the bylaws. At least here in California. When you buy the new home, you have to sign whatever the HOA bylaws are, which I did. It's pretty restrictive for a single family home tract, too. For instance, if I want to plant a tree in my backyard, I need to get signatures from all of my ajoining neighbors and then submit the request for approval to the HOA. I guess that prevents me from planting a giant redwood that rains pine needles down in everyone's yard around mine! Pretty crazy, but the neighborhood sure looks nice, so I choose to live with the rules :)

The HOA is always over ruled by the FCC when it comes to TV reception devices so they have no jurisdiction there regardless what they put in the bylaws.

Interesting. I didn't know that. When I had my Dish install done, Dish insisted on getting a letter from the HOA stating it was OK to install the Dish. The letter tells you where the dish can be installed, etc. Is this just a run-around?

Oh well, maybe I am just taking the path of least resistance.

Can anyone address my question about the install?

Thanks!

Rick

rickshobbies said:
Hello,

I have Dish at the moment with a 522 (single mode), a 510 and a 301. I have a new home and didn't want holes poked in the walls, so Dish was able to use the single line going to my main TV to the dual tuners on the 522. To do this, they used a DPP44 and then seperated the signal out to my 2 522 tuners after the cable left the wall behind my TV. The 510 of course is single tuner, so that was easy enough, as was the 301.

Now, because of the HD outlook on DirecTV, I am thinking about switching.

I would want their HD DVR in the main TV room, and one SD DVR and one SD plain receiver in the other rooms. I see that DirecTV DVRs have dual inputs, so what I want to know is if DirecTV can support the single cable connections to dual tuners in a similar way that Dish is doing it. Do they have something like the DPP44 that Dish used to make this possible? I want to avoid running new cables and poking holes in the walls.

Lastly, it looks like DirecTV can receive HD and SD with a single dish. With Dish, it looks like adding a second dish will be a requirement as their HD grows (right now just for CBS).

My homeowner's association will not allow more than one dish to be mounted, and no OTA antenae's at all apparently. So, I need to get my HD from the same dish I get SD from.

Regards,

Rick

no you will have to have the 2 lines coming in to the tivo for it to work right. You may want to see if they can do a wall fish to bring the cable in with the other cable you have now. But i sure it will cost you extra to have this done if it is possible to do a wall fish at you location.

Here is the latest language just for future ref:

Satellite dishes have long been source of contention in homeowner associations. Many HOAs prior to 1996 had bans on them in their governing documents which made the issue moot. However, the FCC (Federal Communication Commission) made those bans all illegal in 1996.

That year, the FCC determined that receiving satellite signals was, apparently, a basic right like free speech. Their logic was fueled by a massive lobbying effort by the satellite dish industry. The regulations produced in 1996 were very strict and essentially prohibited HOAs from interfering with these installations. And, to no one's surprise, dishes sprouted like fungus on the building roofs, walls, eaves and fences.

Due to the many complaints from HOAs, the FCC agreed to soften the rules in 1999. Officials were convinced that owner rights hinged on ability to receive a clear signal and the HOAs rights hinged on curb appeal considerations. Thus, a compromise was struck. Some of the changes approved by the FCC include:

1. HOAs are allowed to restrict installations where there is a "legitimate safety objective."
2. HOAs may require permits when there is a historic preservation objective.
3. HOAs may impose painting requirements so long as they do not impair reception.
4. HOAs may mandate the location of dishes provided that "acceptable quality signals" can be received.
5. HOA residents may install dishes on balconies and patios where they have exclusive use.
6. HOAs may prohibit installation of individual dishes if the association installs a central dish system which provides the same service or provider as the owner would have chosen; provide signal quality at least as good as what would be received; the cost for installation, use and maintenance of the central system must not exceed the cost of an individual dish; and the system must not unreasonably delay reception. The association must reimburse an owner if it requires the removal of an existing dish in favor of a central system.
7. HOA Renters have the same rights as owners in these matters.

If there are still any homeowner associations out there with satellite dish bans, it's time to clean up the illegal language and replace it with something like: “Satellite dish and antenna installations are subject to FCC regulations and the rights afforded to homeowner associations to control their location.

TYORK, really? I thought it was nice that Dish was able to do that and use the single lines using the DPP44.

I will look into having the cable "fished' through the wall. I just can't bring myself to start runnnig cables through walls and along baseboards in the new house. :no

Can you get all of the SD and HD sats with DirecTV with a single dish (oval maybe?), or are we talking multiple dishes?

rickshobbies said:
Really? I thought it was nice that Dish was able to do that and use the single lines using the DPP44.

I will look into having the cable "fished' through the wall. I just can't bring myself to start runnnig cables through walls and along baseboards in the new house. :no

Can you get all of the SD and HD sats with DirecTV with a single dish (oval maybe?), or are we talking multiple dishes?

yes you cam get sd and hd from the oval dish but you will have to have the oval for sure to get the Hd cause you need that 3rd satellite 101-110-119
cause not sure where you are at you may need the 119 for your local as well so if you go with the oval dish you should be fine.

TYORK said:
no you will have to have the 2 lines coming in to the tivo for it to work right. You may want to see if they can do a wall fish to bring the cable in with the other cable you have now. But i sure it will cost you extra to have this done if it is possible to do a wall fish at you location.

If you want to do it off one feed it will cost you about 300 dollars for a stacker/destacker combo.

As for the HOA... they cant do much.. I had a friend get tangled up in that and the HOA lost horribly.. this was with 2 dishes and an external antenna... all of which were against the bylaws.

the key to fighting the HOA is patience... and any lawyer vaguely aware of OTARD will advise them to leave you be.

Charper1,

Great information! Actually, the verbage looks similar in some areas of the documentation and mentions the FCC guildelines. My HOA additionally goes on to limit us to 1 dish of a size to less than 1 meter in diameter and must be mounted where it can not be readily apparent as seen from the street.

I do want the ability to watch one show and record another on the main TV. Is the stacker/destacker basically what the DPP44 is? Is this something you can insist on when you place your order to D*? That's what I did with Dish and they supplied the DPP44 with no argument at all.

ShadowEKU said:
If you want to do it off one feed it will cost you about 300 dollars for a stacker/destacker combo.

As for the HOA... they cant do much.. I had a friend get tangled up in that and the HOA lost horribly.. this was with 2 dishes and an external antenna... all of which were against the bylaws.

the key to fighting the HOA is patience... and any lawyer vaguely aware of OTARD will advise them to leave you be.

I would want to keep the 2 tuner functionality (watch one show and record another) on the main TV. The rest can be in single tuner mode.

so you are saying that he can get 2 line from this staker/destacker combo
cause he said he wanted to both function.

rickshobbies said:
Charper1,

My HOA additionally goes on to limit us to 1 dish of a size to less than 1 meter in diameter and must be mounted where it can not be readily apparent as seen from the street.

that is almost completely useless because they cant limit the amount of programming you receive off of one service... I think its guarunteed that when the new sats go up the dish will be pretty darn big.

If the only part of the lot you could get signal was readily apparent from the street the FCC would over rule it...

however if you can get acceptable signal (nothing below 90 for me :D) in another location more hidden you would have to comply

TYORK said:

so you are saying that he can get 2 line from this staker/destacker combo
cause he said he wanted to both function.

yes... unfortunately the tradeoff is of course the cost.

You stack on the end of the dish or switch and destack at the receiver... someone correct me if im wrong but you cant put anything on that line like a ground block or anything i believe so itd have to be after the ground block.

I have never tried this but I have heard it mentioned multiple times around here and ive heard it from a couple of friends.

Thanks this is total news to me never heard of this . But probley cause of the cost of it 300.00 vs around a 45.00 wall fish i guess that why i have not heard of it .

thanks again though that is good to know

TYORK said:
Thanks this is total news to me never heard of this . But probley cause of the cost of it 300.00 vs around a 45.00 wall fish i guess that why i have not heard of it .

thanks again though that is good to know

I think this works good for people on concrete slabs who really cant do fishes into the house. that said I think Ide chose the fish... I charge on average 50 for a cralwspace or attic into a room and the price goes up depending on stories and such.

You could also use that single line with a stacker / destacker, but would still need a multiswitch which can handle three outputs. (The Phase III oval dish has this built in.)
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_dis...CAT=&PROD=SD575

However, it costs way more than it would to pay an installer to wall fish another line into your den. ($50-75.)

look at this web page and you will see this stacker piece.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts