DirecTV installed HR20 instead of HR24 for new customer install!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
hey about a month ago I had D* install service in a guest bedroom. I got a kick out of the brand new receiver he pulled out of the box, and H20. Was hoping for the H24 but didn't mind at all....it atleast matches all my other recievers :D
I had an H20 for about 3 days. The thing overheated and kept freezing up. HR20 is excellent, the H20 is a different story

I am getting my system installed on Tuesday. If I don't get a HR24 can I refuse the install and wait until they get one in stock?
I had a new install over a week ago and when the installer showed up he said he had the 20's and I told him I wanted the 24's or he could cancel the install. He said he didn't blame me and called up his warehouse and they sent two out to him. He said they are short on all of the new equiptment and are using the older equiptment until Direct can supply them with more newer equiptment.

I love when a member registers, posts a complaint, and never returns afterward

The only thing I would be upset about is the recording space is less then the Hr22-24 models.

But yea I'll take the HR 20 if you don't want it.:D

I put a 500Gig drive in my HR20 about a year ago.
All you do is remove the cover, remove old drive, put in a new&larger drive, put the cover back on. The space problem solved.

I put a 500Gig drive in my HR20 about a year ago.
All you do is remove the cover, remove old drive, put in a new&larger drive, put the cover back on. The space problem solved.
Thats fine to do if you OWN your receiver.
Its against the rules to alter or upgrade your D* leased Equipment.;)

What is a b band converter.Just installed new hr24 instead of hr23 and can not get a signal in all of the hd channels

I just talked my folks who are located out of state into upgrading from Comcast to DirecTV. It was installed yesterday (August 11, 2010), but I just found out they installed an HR20-700 instead of a current HR24! And this was for a NEW customer install! Even if it was an HR23 that would be one thing, but an HR20-700?!?

My folks had no clue about this, but they obviously got ripped off! DirecTV clearly displays an HR24 on their web page, and advertises 400 hours of SD recording time, 100 HD recording time. Instead they get this piece of junk from 2006 that has half the recording time!

Is this normal for DirecTV to pull on new customers? Do they have any recourse? Can they cancel within the first 24 hours?

Frustrated and upset with DirecTV!

The HR20-700 isn't a bad receiver and it has an internal OTA receiver unlike the subsequent debacle designs that make you use that P.O.S. AM-21. Let me tell you this though... from my experience I don't see any speed difference between the HR20 and HR23 and I have both. If anything, the HR23 is a little SLOWER.

D*'s firmware blows. I hear the HR24 is much faster. Given the choice, I think I'd have to seriously think about upgrading my HR20 for an HR24. HR23--> HR24 would be a no brainer if it was a minimal cost.

The HR20-700 isn't a bad receiver and it has an internal OTA receiver unlike the subsequent debacle designs that make you use that P.O.S. AM-21. Let me tell you this though... from my experience I don't see any speed difference between the HR20 and HR23 and I have both. If anything, the HR23 is a little SLOWER.

D*'s firmware blows. I hear the HR24 is much faster. Given the choice, I think I'd have to seriously think about upgrading my HR20 for an HR24. HR23--> HR24 would be a no brainer if it was a minimal cost.

If you have a HR23 and a HR20, I would upgrade the HR23 first.

I just talked my folks who are located out of state into upgrading from Comcast to DirecTV. It was installed yesterday (August 11, 2010), but I just found out they installed an HR20-700 instead of a current HR24! And this was for a NEW customer install! Even if it was an HR23 that would be one thing, but an HR20-700?!?

My folks had no clue about this, but they obviously got ripped off! DirecTV clearly displays an HR24 on their web page, and advertises 400 hours of SD recording time, 100 HD recording time. Instead they get this piece of junk from 2006 that has half the recording time!

Is this normal for DirecTV to pull on new customers? Do they have any recourse? Can they cancel within the first 24 hours?

Frustrated and upset with DirecTV!

Only advise I have if you ever refer someone to directv, have that person sign up through a retailer.. I know out here in Kansas City, ALL dealers CAN GAURENTEE you an HR24/H24, and if for some off reason HR24's/H24's are shortage items atleast we will know that upfront.. but I honestly do not see that happening anytime soon..

Only advise I have if you ever refer someone to directv, have that person sign up through a retailer.. I know out here in Kansas City, ALL dealers CAN GAURENTEE you an HR24/H24, and if for some off reason HR24's/H24's are shortage items atleast we will know that upfront.. but I honestly do not see that happening anytime soon..

But can they GUARANTEE you an HR24/H24 ?

I don't get this HR24 or else mentality. Yes, I have heard that they faster scrolling through menus and what not, but the HR24 has issues of its own. Washed out images using HDMI, dropped recording from an AM21, and connection issues in certain DECA setups. The first 2 I mentioned are deal breakers for me.

I don't get this HR24 or else mentality. Yes, I have heard that they faster scrolling through menus and what not, but the HR24 has issues of its own. Washed out images using HDMI, dropped recording from an AM21, and connection issues in certain DECA setups. The first 2 I mentioned are deal breakers for me.

Have you had any of these issues with your ?

You have a few people with these problems, not everyone.

Exactly...

I'd give this generation a pass, unless the other brand 24 models are different. I'd like to see if they too are outputting RGB or not. I also found a new issue. HDMI audio out drops left and right with the HR24 to my DVDO unit. HR22 purrrs like a kitten.

I wrote a long opinion piece on the 24 vs 22, on another site. I'll not be recommending the HR24 to anyone, if they have a 20-23. I should have saved the $178 and left the other HR22 I returned in the bedroom.

"Piece of junk"?? :) The biggest reason I haven't jumped on the HR24 bandwagon is because my 4 year old HR20-700 hasn't missed a beat yet. D* has tossed it a few software glitches, but I always manage to get it back up and running. Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin.' :up

Last edited:
I'd not call it "junk", BUT, it's got the new model bug, like the earlier HR's did. It's got serious HDMI audio issues. Many that use a AVR as an HDMI video repeater, are having dropouts too. Also a few handshake issues.

IIRC, some this stuff was common on the older models when they first came out. One has to realize that this is new model, not just a reiteration like the 21-23. It may be good in 6 months to a year, but if your boxes work now, save your money. Time will tell if they work out the PQ issue that some of us see. May be the con of dumping Broadcom (who's proven) for NXP.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)