DirecTV International Dish + SG2100

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Glad to help.
I would just use the one hole, you will have to also drill the PVC tube!

Iceberg said:
GOOD LUCK!
now to set up the motor, the elevation on the motor is the same as your latitude. As an example, I am in MN at 45 degrees north so the angle on the motor is 45.

Iceberg,
I don't want to beat this to death, but this is what I had assumed and the SG2100 manual had also stated. However, what Pete has stated seems practical since the dish is facing upwards now and not parallel to the ground had I put the motor elevation guage to 28 deg.

Last edited:
interesting. I guess 90/2 = 45 so you both set the same. Funny thing. I was really surprised last night when the dish would have ended up pointing directly into the neighbors house. That gave me an indication something was not right, however the SG2100 manual does say to set the ELEVATION on the motor equal to your latitude so this is what really messed me up. They mention nothing about the latitide side guage.

ok, I'll be ready to aim in the morning. Been researching but a bit confused on the best approach to use. Can anyone point me to a good resource and how-to on getting this setup aimed to track the arc correctly?

Some say to find the closest south satellite to your location (how?)
some say to find true south by substracting/adding from magnetic south
some say to key in using USALS and fine tune?

Please let me know if you have a good guide to do this using an approach that is less trial and error.

Thanks.

If you have a DBS LNB use that and the Nimiq 2 satellite at the same position as above as your true south!

DBS LNBF L.O. = 11250

Depends where you are in the country, guessing the above is because they are in different parts of the country?

Your zip = 32801

Motor elevation = 62 deg.

Dish elevation = 25 deg.

Well, I spent all day trying to get this thing to work, trying with Nimiq 2 as Pete suggested but could not get the signal (S) meter to read more that 73 (still red) and the Quality (Q) is at zero. Not sure what is going on. I used USALS to key in my Lat. and Long. and Nimiq 2 at 82.0 W. Then I had USALS move the motor to this sat and tried to peak it, but still would not move off the 73 (still red). Tried adjusting dish elevation and rotating the dish and motor together on the pole. I did not touch the motor latitude and elevation settings.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

You had the L.O. set to 11250 and used the DBS LNBF?

If you think you are close to the satellite try a blind scan!

A in line signal meter may help? SF-95 I know you are trying to get the motor to work BUT try without first so you can see where it is pointing.

Good luck

tradewinds said:
ok, yes I had the L.O. at 11250 and port 1 has the DBS LNBF.
Tried blind scan and it failed.

Ken,
Not sure how it will help much since without something like a Birddog I would not know which sat it is I am hitting. Would this be any different than using the receiver signal meter? If all else fails tomorrow I will need to order one.

Signal meters work great for finding DBS satellites.
As suggested above remove all switch and motor for now, find and store your true south satellite only then add the motor. Add any switches last.

There are all types of signal meters with prices ranging quite dramatically. Which would be a good one for this application? Thank you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)