Please reply by conversation.

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
DirecTV held their Investor Day on 2/28 with a 4 hour presentation.

Following is screen captures of the key points of interest to consumers, along with some comentary:

The first set is about their receiver strategy.

Their costs have reduced over the years, and the HD-DVR will now cost almost half of what it did a year ago.

By Mid-2008, they plan all new receivers to be MPEG4 compatible.
In 2009 DirecTV will target an HD only receiver platform,
And in 2010, they will target an HD-DVR only platform.

Attachments

• box costs.jpg
    box costs.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 645
  • box transition.jpg
    box transition.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 626
  • dvr transition.jpg
    dvr transition.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 607
They are targeting HD Superiority, and continuing their expansion plans.

They WILL launch D12 satellite, in 2009 - with total capacity for over 200 national HD channels.

They boast having a very young satellite fleet, with 12+ years of life remaining on their key assets.

They will stop the aggressive growth after the launch of D12.

The last slide compares DirecTV to Dish & Cable competitors.
It interestingly categorizes the RSNs, Voom, etc. to show how DirecTV feels the channel counts should be. (You'll note that they left PPV in their channel count, however, seeing as they have the most :rolleyes: )

Attachments

• channels.jpg
    channels.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 595
  • fleet.jpg
    fleet.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 598
  • HD.jpg
    HD.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 685
  • HD Comparasion.jpg
    HD Comparasion.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 776
DirecTV is targeting launching advanced media sharing in mid-2008, including the ability to stream data to your PC from your HD-DVR.
Look for this in upcoming CE releases!

The SWM solution is coming, and will be rolled out primarily through a new LNB for the slimline dish. Expected launch for the SWM LNB is Q2 2008. The product is in testing now and doing well.

The last slide shows DirecTVs focus on the total experience with recent feature launches and more to come.

Attachments

• user experience.jpg
    user experience.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 639
  • SWM.jpg
    SWM.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 816
  • media share 2008.jpg
    media share 2008.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 729
Ever wonder where DirecTVs call centers are? There are NONE in India, but there are some internationally. Take a look at slide 1.

Ever wonder what the Hearts program is all about? Why do some subscribers get better offers and discounts than others.
DirecTV has 5 profit tiers measuring their customers, you'll note that they find 38% of their customers make up 63% of the profit!

Attachments

• call centers.jpg
    call centers.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 776
  • Hearts.jpg
    Hearts.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 709
Lastly, a look at DirecTV's local marketing strategy, methods to attack Comcast, Dish, and others.

Attachments

• local1.jpg
    local1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 698
  • local2.jpg
    local2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 624
  • local3.jpg
    local3.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 646
Ever wonder where DirecTVs call centers are? There are NONE in India, but there are some internationally. Take a look at slide 1.

Ever wonder what the Hearts program is all about? Why do some subscribers get better offers and discounts than others.
DirecTV has 5 profit tiers measuring their customers, you'll note that they find 38% of their customers make up 63% of the profit!

I drive past the Huntington, WV call center everyday.

Wow great coverage, I cant wait for the SWM stuff.

I second that. The day I can call to order service and be certain that I can get the SWM Slimline dish is the day I switch to DirecTV! I've been waiting a while for this.

Damn. All we got from Charlie is how the bad housing market and competition is kicking Dish ass.:(

One of these days he will wake up and have answers to all of these questions.

DirecTV is targeting launching advanced media sharing in mid-2008, including the ability to stream data to your PC from your HD-DVR.
Look for this in upcoming CE releases!

The SWM solution is coming, and will be rolled out primarily through a new LNB for the slimline dish. Expected launch for the SWM LNB is Q2 2008. The product is in testing now and doing well.

The last slide shows DirecTVs focus on the total experience with recent feature launches and more to come.

Will this require an entirely new dish or just a different LNB package? (I just had my entire dish replaced because of a bad LNB, per the local contractor for DTV, Ironwood, that was the only way the could do it.)

Will this require an entirely new dish or just a different LNB package?

Anyone with thoughts on this ?

It would be much easier to simple replace the LNB portion as in many cases you would not have to re adjust the dish any.

Will D* allow the individual to order this or will it be "By appointment "only ?

Jimbo

I don't get the how the Big Ten Network is only on DirecTV...I've been watching it since last September. Am I the only one who doesn't get that?

I think he is referring to the add that says Comcast and Dish don't have the Big 10 network. The add is a bit wrong since Dish also carries it.

Did anybody notice in the HD superiority slide that they list channels in HD that they don't currently carry?

I think he is referring to the add that says Comcast and Dish don't have the Big 10 network. The add is a bit wrong since Dish also carries it.

IIRC, sometime in the next couple months BTN is supposed to be classified as a RSN and would be in the various programming packages only in the Big Ten states, other states need to pay extra for it. So maybe that's what the ad would be referring to.

DIRECTV delivers satellite-based television services to U.S. customers in homes and businesses. Our operations include some of the world's most advanced technologies in the delivery of a seamless viewing experience.
Corporate Offices:
El Segundo, CA (headquarters)
New York, NY
Denver, CO

Broadcast Centers:
Castle Rock, CO
Long Beach, CA (DIRECTV Latin America)
Marina del Rey, CA

Customer Contact Centers:
Boise, ID
Denver, CO
Huntsville, AL
Missoula, MT
Tulsa, OK

Sales Offices:
Atlanta, GA
Chicago, IL

International Operations:
DIRECTV Latin America is a leading provider of satellite television services throughout Latin America. DTVLA is comprised of: PanAmericana, which provides services in Venezuela, Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Puerto Rico and certain other countries in the region through our wholly-owned subsidiary, DIRECTV Latin America, LLC, or DLA LLC; our 74% owned subsidiary Sky Brasil Servicos Ltda., which we refer to as Sky Brazil; and our 41% equity method investment in Innova, S. de R.L. de C.V., or Sky Mexico. As of September 30, 2007, PanAmericana had approximately 1.6 million subscribers, Sky Brazil had approximately 1.4 million subscribers and Sky Mexico had approximately 1.5 million subscribers. For more information, visit directvla.com.

Key Historical Dates
1990: Founded
06/1994: Launched Service
10/1994: National Availability
11/1995: One Millionth Customer
04/1999: PRIMESTAR Acquisition
05/1999: USSB Acquisition
07/2001: Ten Millionth Customer
12/2003: News Corp. acquires 34% interest in DIRECTV
10/2005: 15 Millionth Customer
01/2006: 100% Ownership of DIRECTV Latin America acquired
10/2007: High definition revolution begins with more than 70 national HD channels*

Stock
DIRECTV Common Stock is publicly traded under the ticker symbol DTV on the Nasdaq Exchange. View our earnings releases for the last six years.

*Number of HD channels varies by package selection

I am very dissapointed with the plan to provide MRV no earlier than 2010. Who cares about networking with PC? Seriously how many people watch TV on PC's or listen to MP3 music with an HDDVR?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts