DirecTV iPad APP Now Available in Apple Store

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Awesome, downloading now...

What I don't get, why didn't they make it a Universal and just release a new version of their regular app? I hate it when companies create two apps that should be one.

UPDATE: I downloaded it, and of course, it didn't find any receivers. And yes, before anyone suggests: Yes, my iPad isn't just on 3G, it's on WiFi. And yes, my receivers are definitely online.

And funny part, it says my receivers are definitely eligible. Fail.

Last edited:
Optical Serenity said:

What I don't get, why didn't they make it a Universal and just release a new version of their regular app? I hate it when companies create two apps that should be one.

At least they are both free

I think they have to create two different ones in this case because they are different and do different things

Optical Serenity said:

UPDATE: I downloaded it, and of course, it didn't find any receivers. And yes, before anyone suggests: Yes, my iPad isn't just on 3G, it's on WiFi. And yes, my receivers are definitely online.

And funny part, it says my receivers are definitely eligible. Fail.

Manually enter your receivers IP address in the settings on the APP

Working now. Had to delete and download the APP again

Ok, so...I did this, and nope, doesn't work. Sorry, but this app gets a 1 star iTunes rating if as suggested manually entering the IP doesn't work. Before anyone asks, I'm not jailbroken, and I'm a dev...so I know how this stuff works.

Wow, so....

1. It listed all my receivers and said they were eligible, but it couldn't access them.

2. It had the correct IP address, and I clicked "validate" and it on that screen told me to go to the Settings in my DVR and allow a setting. Only one problem, even with this ridiculous step, it is incorrect. It tells you to "allow" one thing, but not all three. Fail.

DirecTV iPad App by iParham, on Flickr

DirecTV iPad App by iParham, on Flickr

Last edited:
I got mine to work. I too had problems at first. I just reinstalled in the APP.

Are we suppose to be able to watch anything on our ipads with this, or is this just a remote thingy??
Gotta ask if ya don't know....

Are we suppose to be able to watch anything on our ipads with this, or is this just a remote thingy??
Gotta ask if ya don't know....
Right now it is basically a souped up version of the iPhone APP with remote control. You are able to control you receivers/DVRs with your iPad. They say future updates may allow for streaming and control of your To Do List

Will this app only work with my home network? I tried it at work and could not get it to work.

I think its awesome.. the remote comes with a 2.5 min FF yahoo, also able to browse guide without making the picture go small...

Does anyone know if something like this is coming to the Android market? I just got a Xoom and would really like to use it for this.

Does anyone know if something like this is coming to the Android market? I just got a Xoom and would really like to use it for this.

I would expect that is the next job for their developers, same app on Andriod.

My question would be, why not make this same type of app for a laptop/netbook Windows interface. Seems that far more people could use that, I know I would use it occasionally.

DIRECTV's iPad App & Why I Hate Tech Journalists

Commentary
DIRECTV's iPad App & Why I Hate Tech Journalists
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (March 1, 2011) -- In the past few days, several technology web sites, including PC Magazine, CNET, Engadget, Electronista, ZDNet and Zatz Not Funny, have written gushing articles about DIRECTV's new iPad app.

This is yet another example of why I hate technology web sites.

Okay, I don't hate them. But tech journalists are often so intoxicated with new gadgets that they forget to write how many people will actually use them -- or would even want to. Their articles sound like everyone will start playing with the new gizmos immediately. But in many cases, most people don't have the technical expertise or equipment to do so.

MORE

I got my ipad 2 on Friday and downloaded the D* app yesterday. It's not seeing my receivers at all. I spent 1h and 20 minutes on the phone with a CR and we tried everything. She finally decided to escalate the problem to their software folks. I'm suppose to get a call in the next few days, letting me know what they decided.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts