Directv Latest Letter is Bogus

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Boondockbill

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2004
Said I'll get no more east coast distant networks as of Aug 15, 2005? (I live on the west coast)

Well, I just got them from a satellite programming provider for my C Band dish!

What's up with D* lying to us?

Not DirecTv who makes the decisions…..its SHVERA (SHVIA renewal)

If you have locals, you can’t have distants (unless you had them before a specific date)

I lost my distant Fox a while back on Dish. C-Band is a different animal :D

Iceberg said:

If you have locals, you can’t have distants (unless you had them before a specific date)

Tell us how C Band is different and need not heed SHIVA's decisions????????

Iceberg said:

I've HAD distants for 12 years - is that a specific date enough? But D* is STILL pulling the plug on me.

Boondockbill said:
Tell us how C Band is different and need not heed SHIVA's decisions????????

I don't know the exact rules but C-band did fall under a different ruling for those than DBS did.

This was something that the FCC drafted up and with the "help" (errr...money) from the NAB (National Ass'n of Broadcasters), SHVERA said that if locals were available and you had both locals & distants, you had to decide which one to keep..

If you were Grandfathered in, you were to lose them on a specific date
If you had waivers, that was different

I lost mine because I was "grandfathered" in (distants were available in my area at one time..no longer)

Basically the NAB (who is in the pocket of local broadcasters) don't want you to see out of market locals, just your own (even though they may be 200 miles away)

Boondockbill said:
I've HAD distants for 12 years - is that a specific date enough? But D* is STILL pulling the plug on me.

no need to get snooty...just trying to help out

Iceberg said:
no need to get snooty...just trying to help out

I not mad at you, just D*. I am grandfathered in with C Band so I didn't lose anything.

I should be grandfatered in with D*

But you say: SHVERA said that if locals were available and you had both locals & distants, you had to decide which one to keep..

If this is true, I'd dump my locals in a heartbeat and go distants. Think I can??

Sorry if my anger was pointed at you, it's D* I'm aimed at.

Oh, I've also had waivers thru the years, including 3 that I sent in to D* last year. But they said, "we have to do it ourselves" which is shady to me.

Boondockbill said:
I not mad at you, just D*. I am grandfathered in with C Band so I didn't lose anything.
That's good. I wish I could get them :)

I should be grandfatered in with D*
nope. Different animal. Rule states if you move or switch providers, you lose your Grandfathered status and would have to requalify...but if you had them before with Direct, you should be able to keep them.

But you say: SHVERA said that if locals were available and you had both locals & distants, you had to decide which one to keep..

If this is true, I'd dump my locals in a heartbeat and go distants. Think I can??
There was a postcard that went out a while back (as I remember) that you had to choose. I don't have Direct so I can't comment on that part

Sorry if my anger was pointed at you, it's D* I'm aimed at.
I knew it was for D but just wanted to make sure :)

Boondockbill said:
Oh, I've also had waivers thru the years, including 3 that I sent in to D* last year. But they said, "we have to do it ourselves" which is shady to me.

does sound shady. I thought they could do it for you but if you had waivers, you could submit those

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)