DirecTV launches Hurricane Irene Info Channel (ch 259)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
DIRECTV Launches Dedicated Hurricane Irene Information Channel

Channel Will Provide Local Network News Feeds along the Storm Track and Red Cross Information to Aid Storm Victims

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- DIRECTV is launching a dedicated 24/7 "Hurricane Irene Information" channel that will provide live broadcasts from local stations in markets affected by the hurricane to DIRECTV viewers nationwide.

The DIRECTV-produced information channel will begin broadcasting at midnight EDT/9 p.m. PDT tonight and will air on three separate viewer channels: 259, 325 and 349. DIRECTV plans to provide continuous coverage throughout the weekend or until the storm has diminished in strength.

DIRECTV will simulcast local news and information coverage from various stations in affected markets as the storm moves up the East Coast. DIRECTV will also provide graphical information to inform our customer base about potential evacuations, closures, event cancellations and any additional critical information as needed. Storm preparation information will be delivered in graphical form from the American Red Cross, as well as coverage from the agency's special disaster preparedness and relief interview with American Red Cross President Gail McGovern, along with information from other emergency organizations.

As DIRECTV tracks the storm it will manually switch to a local station in the affected market. The information channel will broadcast coverage from the following markets:

• Greenville/New Bern, N.C.
• New York
• Norfolk, Va.
• Richmond, Va.
• Roanoke, Va.
• Washington, D.C.

Nice touch it gives us not in the storm a "local" perspective on what's going on, a plus having satellite

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys!!

Great idea, sort of like looking at the feeds up now on c band. Only problem I see is it won't be working once the rain gets going in those area's, don't care what setup you have. :(

This plus the eight Boxed news mix channels makes d tv. The best in national news coverAge for this storm. ThanK you

Love this idea, but can they take the locals HD signal and give it to us in HD for those of us with that capability! They should also highlight the channel in red in the guide to give it importance. I'm actually surprised that there isn't a national EAS channel to broadcast government emergency information.

I wish I could get as thorough a coverage on Dish. I have some family living on the coast, and my thoughts & prayers are with everybody affected by this.

If you have access to regular C and Ku band there are hurricane feeds up there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)