DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Here is some new reports and I just do not get it, Amazon makes sense, they have the infrastructure in place to sell it as a package to both consumers and business subscribers, Disney makes some sense because of ESPN+ but Apple does not make sense at all, seems like they are only bidding on it because they have so much cash on hand.

And like i wrote before, the NFL will go to whomever pays the most.

Here is some new reports and I just do not get it, Amazon makes sense, they have the infrastructure in place to sell it as a package to both consumers and business subscribers, Disney makes some sense because of ESPN+ but Apple does not make sense at all, seems like they are only bidding on it because they have so much cash on hand.

And like i wrote before, the NFL will go to whomever pays the most.

I just hope the addition of sports to Apple TV+ doesn't drive up the cost. At only $5/mo or $50/yr, their service is a great deal, IMO, given the quality and amount of new shows they have. (Just started The Afterparty last night.) I have no interest in watching NFLST or the mid-week MLB games they're also supposedly pursuing.

Today’s WSJ has a good on the churn rates at the major streamers. Pretty much, for new subscribers, it is 50% over 6 months.

IMHO, this is because people are just rotating their streaming subscriptions. Netflix for a month, binge all you want out of the series you like; Apple TV for a month…

Thus the streamers are in a situation where they must buy loyalty, or perhaps just a spot in the rotation, with endless spending on programming.

Since we know that NFLST cannot make money on a cash basis, thus the play would be to tie it to something, as we have discussed. A full year of Apple TV + required to be able to purchase ST? Makes perfect sense. As would an exclusive deal on such terms would for any of the streamers.

Probably less than Apple has paid Tom Hanks to appear in two mediocre movies which are way below his talent leve.

So the way to make a fortune is to offer a package that bundles different streamers- you get each in turn for six months!

Today’s WSJ has a good on the churn rates at the major streamers. Pretty much, for new subscribers, it is 50% over 6 months.

IMHO, this is because people are just rotating their streaming subscriptions. Netflix for a month, binge all you want out of the series you like; Apple TV for a month…

Thus the streamers are in a situation where they must buy loyalty, or perhaps just a spot in the rotation, with endless spending on programming.

Since we know that NFLST cannot make money on a cash basis, thus the play would be to tie it to something, as we have discussed. A full year of Apple TV + required to be able to purchase ST? Makes perfect sense. As would an exclusive deal on such terms would for any of the streamers.

Probably less than Apple has paid Tom Hanks to appear in two mediocre movies which are way below his talent leve.
I just read that story on how they figured out this info-

Antenna is able to compile daily subscriber sign-ups to most streaming services by aggregating data coming from a series of third-party apps that help users manage their email inboxes or keep to a monthly budget. Such apps keep track of streaming-related transactions and emails confirming users’ decisions to sign up for or cancel a streaming subscription.

So that got that result by a small sampling of who uses these 3rd party services, I am going to use real numbers, when was the last time Netflix had a negative sub number, not in a long, long time, here-The streaming giant reported a net gain of 8.28 million subscribers for Q4, again driven by markets outside North America, to reach 221.8 million total worldwide.

Does not look like so many are leaving, same for Disney+, Hulu, etc.

You do know what “net” means, right?
Yes, do you?

It means they were up, even after all these so called cancelations.

And does this have to do with DirecTV losing NFLST to now Apple?

Yes, do you?

It means they were up, even after all these so called cancelations.

And does this have to do with DirecTV losing NFLST to now Apple?

It doesn’t break out US v. International subscribers. I would be curious about stability of US count, and price in other countries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn’t break out US v. International subscribers. I would be curious about stability of US count, and price in other countries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This shows it in the US.

Basically they went from 74 million in the 3rd quarter to 75 million in the 4th.

Yeah, if Apple gets it, I suspect the price of NFLST will include a year of Apple TV+ (sort of like they were giving away a free year of the service with Apple hardware purchases until last July).

And I thought the Hanks movie Finch was pretty good.

This shows it in the US.

Basically they went from 74 million in the 3rd quarter to 75 million in the 4th.

Small quibble: those are the totals for the USA plus Canada (which is annoyingly often referred to in the business world as "North America"). I'd guesstimate Netflix has about 67 million subs in the US alone.

Meanwhile, HBO Max probably ended last year with about 47 million US subs (out of a global total of about 74 million), about 70% as many as Netflix here. Hulu ended the year close behind with about 44 million US subs. Prime Video technically has the most subs of any subscription video service in the US since it's available to all Prime members, who are estimated to exceed 150 million in the US. I wonder what portion of those folks actually use Prime Video at least once a month though?

And I thought the Hanks movie Finch was pretty good.
Just watched it. It was OK, but post-apocalyptic road trip movies and post-apocalyptic guy builds a robot buddy movies are like really really common. Yet more common are WWII convoy movies. Hanks is one of the greatest living actors, his time is too valuable for meme movies.

Just watched it. It was OK, but post-apocalyptic road trip movies and post-apocalyptic guy builds a robot buddy movies are like really really common. Yet more common are WWII convoy movies. Hanks is one of the greatest living actors, his time is too valuable for meme movies.
LOL, OK.

"Guy builds a robot buddy" films are common? You must venture deep into the crapzone on Netflix and Amazon Prime to see more of them.

Reactions: NashGuy
"Guy builds a robot buddy" films are common? You must venture deep into the crapzone on Netflix and Amazon Prime to see more of them.
Kinda

Getting ready for the addition of ST?

I hope, but I believe it is to cover the costs of Thursday Night Football, the rights fee is a billion a year, that and the rights fee and production for the Lord of the Rings TV Series ( $500 million the first year).

Hopefully TNF will still be available in 4K

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Status
Please reply by conversation.