DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
There is a huge mistake being made by these media companies

Subs are leaving directv because it costs too much not because they don't like the product

Disney, apple etc can bid billions for sunday ticket but will consumers pay for it? Is the big question

We live in a time of very high inflation and luxuries ( directv) that were affordable 5 years ago are no longer necessaries.

Good luck to the company that overbids for sunday ticket

They probably bought an albatross

Reactions: navychop
The SBJ podcasters were speculating about, wait for it, Netflix. Netflix is also thought to be looking at the “B package” currently held by AT&T through its TNT channel, for the NBA, which is up after the 24 season.

Reactions: AZ.
The SBJ podcasters were speculating about, wait for it, Netflix. Netflix is also thought to be looking at the “B package” currently held by AT&T through its TNT channel, for the NBA, which is up after the 24 season.
I am going to call bull on that, I have a friend from College that works at Netflix and have been told in the past that Netflix has no interest in Live Sports and do not need Live Sports since they are focusing on getting out of the country subscribers ( they are, pretty much, have as many US subs they are going to get) which Live Sports will not help with, be limited because of rights issues and would not receive any commercial income which is a big part of Live Sports and Traditional Television.

You put it out there, I would like a link that Netflix has a interest in carrying NBA games.

I am going to call bull on that, I have a friend from College that works at Netflix and have been told in the past that Netflix has no interest in Live Sports and do not need Live Sports since they are focusing on getting out of the country subscribers ( they are, pretty much, have as many US subs they are going to get) which Live Sports will not help with, be limited because of rights issues and would not receive any commercial income which is a big part of Live Sports and Traditional Television.

You put it out there, I would like a link that Netflix has a interest in carrying NBA games.
I wont discount what you say..........How long can Netfix last?....How long can any outside streamers last? Every major studio now has its own streaming and own major studios...Think HBO Max at some point wont turn off the leasing of movies to anyone?...Why do you think that ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox started their own systems? They have TV, Movies, and control 99% of all content....The only way for any service to survive the long run, is to save its self....That means any live event is all the future holds for them.(sports)....

Reactions: SamCdbs
I wont discount what you say..........How long can Netfix last?....How long can any outside streamers last? Every major studio now has its own streaming and own major studios...Think HBO Max at some point wont turn off the leasing of movies to anyone?...Why do you think that ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox started their own systems? They have TV, Movies, and control 99% of all content....The only way for any service to survive the long run, is to save its self....That means any live event is all the future holds for them.(sports)....
Because they all want the money that Netflix proved was possible to get.

And why cannot Netflix survive, it will be a long time before they hit peak because of the Global Market, also, they own most of their programming and are the favorite to win the Best Picture.

Of those Broadcast Networks you mention, Fox does not have a streaming service and sold all their productions to Disney, Peacock (NBC) is a disaster at getting paying subscriber, CBS/Paramount+ is a hit, but still only 50 million subs on a worldwide count, while Netflix has 222 million.

As of now, Disney+ is the biggest threat to Netflix, but as of now, are still only half of Netflix subscribers.

Fox owns the Tubi streaming service. Yes, its not much, but it is a streaming service.

It is pretty clear that Fox has a different game plan from the other three major networks. The other three, each of which produce way more content and each of which has a huge back catalog, are trying to foster streaming growth. Fox is trying to keep the cable bundle going as long as possible.

Back to sports, clearly the old adage of “they can’t go to Blockbuster and rent tonight’s game”, while out of date, still applies. There will be winners and losers in streaming. People simply cannot subscribe to 5 to 8 such services. Access to ST, and other sports, is a way to differentiate one service from another.

And content is king. And expecting Netflix to be anything more than Netflix originals in the future, is not understanding the business. The other content producers are going to keep their own content at home.

Reactions: AZ.
Because they all want the money that Netflix proved was possible to get.

And why cannot Netflix survive, it will be a long time before they hit peak because of the Global Market, also, they own most of their programming and are the favorite to win the Best Picture.

Of those Broadcast Networks you mention, Fox does not have a streaming service and sold all their productions to Disney, Peacock (NBC) is a disaster at getting paying subscriber, CBS/Paramount+ is a hit, but still only 50 million subs on a worldwide count, while Netflix has 222 million.

As of now, Disney+ is the biggest threat to Netflix, but as of now, are still only half of Netflix subscribers.
My bottom line is....If I own content why would I sell/rent it to you?....I will force you to come to me to watch it.....I dont think thats outrages thinking at all? The model works for now, but how much longer?....and if I can do that to the whole world thats even better....right?....Just because Netfix has been making some programming, its not like its must see tv?....Im no fan of watching any sporting event a day or a month later!......

And content is king. And expecting Netflix to be anything more than Netflix originals in the future, is not understanding the business. The other content producers are going to keep their own content at home.
I don't see any reason to think that Netflix will ever need to add live sports. A large portion of US households (a majority?) are not regular sports viewers and many of those households are the ones that originally "cut the cord" on cable TV and became loyal Netflix subscribers. If there end up being 5 major SVODs, one of them can easily still thrive without sports. And Netflix has an enormous first-mover advantage. They've built up a large number of US subs who like the sort of content they get from Netflix (which is increasingly a mix of US and non-US produced originals). It wouldn't surprise me if in the next few years we even see the number of US Netflix subs decline a bit as some of them find they prefer the Disney bundle or HBO Max. But I don't see that meaning that Netflix will ever be in trouble, or that we'll see their global subscriber numbers dip.

I personally am not much of a fan of Netflix any more. I only get it a month or two a year to catch up on the few things I care about. But then my tastes have always deviated from the mainstream to some extent.

I don't see any reason to think that Netflix will ever need to add live sports. A large portion of US households (a majority?) are not regular sports viewers and many of those households are the ones that originally "cut the cord" on cable TV and became loyal Netflix subscribers. If there end up being 5 major SVODs, one of them can easily still thrive without sports. And Netflix has an enormous first-mover advantage. They've built up a large number of US subs who like the sort of content they get from Netflix (which is increasingly a mix of US and non-US produced originals). It wouldn't surprise me if in the next few years we even see the number of US Netflix subs decline a bit as some of them find they prefer the Disney bundle or HBO Max. But I don't see that meaning that Netflix will ever be in trouble, or that we'll see their global subscriber numbers dip.

I personally am not much of a fan of Netflix any more. I only get it a month or two a year to catch up on the few things I care about. But then my tastes have always deviated from the mainstream to some extent.
Has Netfix have had a major release from a studio?....No...If me and my 5 friends own all the content, why would I rent it to you?...Sure I can charge you twice as much what ever...Bottom line is me and my 5 friends own it you dont.....I will strangle you with price and you have to raise your prices to keep up with the boys.....You havent seen in the last 50 years with electronics, cars, steel, iron, solar panels, etc ???????????? I got what you need, I will destroy you, and you collapse....This aint new at all....never heard of outsourcing? I find this conversation funny in a sick, welcome to the new world order way( G bush 41)

My .02 --Streaming services don't care if anyone in America buys it or not --it's about worldwide $$$ --sports streamed around the world = sports betting no matter where in the world you are located.

Look at the rapid growth of DATA farms (hop points) that being brought online daily.

(see) the 1973 movie Rollerball as an example of where the world is headed

1973 Soylent green - as well

as far as movies --in America they would only be released in theaters -then 16 months latter to HBO (etc) --fast forward today --streamed for ppv -then released 3 to 6 weeks later to HBO (ect) .

Closer of the movie houses for 2 years has spread that process (however) I've not been in a movie theater since 1987. and have seen everything released since (as example) only.

just my thoughts

Has Netfix have had a major release from a studio?....No...

First, any way you look at it, Netflix now IS a major studio, in terms of both TV shows and films that are original/exclusive to their service. They constitute a very significant slice of the overall spending on content production among all TV/movie studios both domestically and globally. Netflix is reported to have accounted for 6% of overall global professional video content spending in 2021, ranking 3rd with $14 bn behind Comcast (NBCU/Sky) at $22.7 bn and Disney at $18.6 bn.

And in terms of industry recognition, well, Netflix has more Oscar noms this year than any other studio at 27; runner-up is Warner at 16. On the TV side, Warner's HBO/HBO Max barely edged out Netflix in the most recent Emmy noms at 130 to 129.

However you slice it, Netflix IS a major studio.

And yes, Netflix does still license content from another major studio; they just struck a deal with Sony Pictures to have exclusive US first-run window rights to their theatrical releases starting this year. (Sony's last output contract was with Starz but that ended with movies released through 12/31/21.) Meanwhile, they still have exclusive SVOD rights to back seasons ("reruns") of a number of popular shows from other studios, including Seinfeld, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, The Walking Dead, Schitt's Creek, and New Girl.

It's true that all the legacy media players are clawing back their content from Netflix in order to feed their own new SVODs, which means that the Netflix library is increasingly focused on their own originals. Meanwhile, HBO Max is mainly about Warner originals, Hulu/Disney+ are mainly about Disney/20th Century originals, etc.

The biggest issue for Netflix, IMO, is that their young library of original content lacks established, popular IP, i.e. characters or brands that have been in the popular culture for years. Is there any Netflix IP that inspires action figures or kids' lunchboxes? Disney obviously has a ton of IP between Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar and all the classic Disney characters. Warner has DC, Looney Toons, and Sesame Street. Even Apple TV+ has the Peanuts and the Muppets' Fraggle Rock. Amazon Prime Video is spending big on a new Lord of the Rings series. Netflix has ... the kids from Stranger Things? The Witcher?

Disney makes more sense then Apple, sounds like it is going to be a bidding war between Amazon, Apple and Disney.
Why would Amazon pay so much for Thursday Night and go for Sunday Ticket?

Why does any company over pay for the NFL. It makes money.
People would subscribe to Prime for Sunday Ticket. They wouldn't think... you know Amazon has Sunday Ticket... but they don't have Thursday Night Football. *Pass*

So to me, the investment for Thursday was it. I bet they might toss a lowball for Sunday Ticket, but I can't imagine a competitive bid.

Status
Please reply by conversation.