DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
The difference being, of course, that a DirecTV receiver and its dish is a physical thing, easily identifiable and somewhat bulky.

A smart TV looks a lot like a TV. Given there over 60,000 bars in the USA, it is naive to believe that a situation dis-similar to what went on in the wild-west days of the BUD will not exist.

Almost unenforceable.

It is easily enforceable. All that matters is whether NFLST games are shown on the TVs in the bar. If they haven't paid (one of) the company(s) legally entitled to distribute it under a commercial public viewing license, they are showing it illegally and will be sued.

Smart TVs, receivers, etc. are totally irrelevant to this.

Reactions: raoul5788
It is easily enforceable. All that matters is whether NFLST games are shown on the TVs in the bar. If they haven't paid (one of) the company(s) legally entitled to distribute it under a commercial public viewing license, they are showing it illegally and will be sued.

Smart TVs, receivers, etc. are totally irrelevant to this.
And, so you are going to have 60,000 spies working Sunday afternoons?

Actually, I think distribution can be tied to a specific smart TV. Don’t they now have serial numbers or such, available to providers? I know my YT requires a log in on each device, which each retains. And it identifies each device. Seems to me streams can even today be limited quite easily to a specific device.

Commercially, providers could at a minimum require a set up and/or log in on the specific device that will be used, and restrict programming to one device only. Sports bars would pay for each TV and set up each TV. Can this be broken? Yes, but that would go beyond theft to a DMCA violation. Probably not worth the risk. Especially if providers list all authorized establishments and offered a reward to our violators.

??????????????? :eeek
ST is not that popular ion Bars ????
NFL is but how many bars have 6 or 7 tvs each with a satellite receiver?... all on different games
Thats a chunk of change even if they are doing it illegally

NFL is but how many bars have 6 or 7 tvs each with a satellite receiver?... all on different games
Thats a chunk of change even if they are doing it illegally
Plenty ....

Jeds down the road has about 25 different TVs with D*.
Ralphie always had a bunch of Big screen TV's in the walls ... ect, ect, ect

Got another smaller bar that has about 20 TV's watching the NFL games.

They are more prevalent than you think.

Reactions: SamCdbs
How many games?...
Haven't counted ... obviously not every TV has a different game, bars generally have games on that the customers want to see.
I was able to keep track of about 5 different games a few weeks ago when I went, thats enough for me.

Haven't counted ... obviously not every TV has a different game, bars generally have games on that the customers want to see.
I was able to keep track of about 5 different games a few weeks ago when I went, thats enough for me.
That commercial license is pretty steep

And, so you are going to have 60,000 spies working Sunday afternoons?

They aren't randomly checking places. From what I understand they work on reports (i.e. disgruntled employee or bar owner who pays for NFLST is unhappy the place across the street is stealing his customers with Sunday specials they can do because they're using home receivers) and monitor advertising to see if NFLST is being advertised at places that aren't licensed for it.

If they suspect a place is carrying NFLST but they know that place isn't paying them for it they can hire a local lawyer or notary public or whatever to go there on Sunday afternoon and see if any games are shown on NFLST. Take a couple pictures showing a TV in the bar showing a game on NFLST and that's ironclad evidence for a lawsuit.

Bars that get sued for that sort of thing usually can't afford it, and go out of business, so it isn't very common.

Reactions: navychop
New remarks by commissioner do not look promising for DirecTV to keep Sunday Ticket:

On Tuesday, Goodell called Sunday Ticket a “streaming product” that the NFL wants to take off satellite and make digital.

“I think that is best for our fans to make it accessible on a digital platform,” he said.

Minus B Dubs. All the bars around me have a ton of TV’s but regular cable for TV

New remarks by commissioner do not look promising for DirecTV to keep Sunday Ticket:
Typical Goodell ... has no idea what hes talking about.
They want to move to DIGITAL ?????
It's been DIGITAL for ages Roger.

Reactions: SamCdbs
Status
Please reply by conversation.