DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I don't think DTV can afford it anymore.
So, they think its a Goood thing to make this move to have LESS people available to ?
Taking it off Traditional (Sat) TV isn't allowing more platforms to view ... (which is what this all STARTED as) ...

As a second thought ...
If Amazon does get it, I am an Amazon Prime member, so I already have Prime TV ... I would imagine ST would work from that base.

However, if it goes to Apple, I can see all kinds of issues, with the Apple vs Android situation.
Most Apple people don't like Android and vice versa ....

I have android Phones and Tablets and even a Sony TV that works with Google (Streaming) ....
Does Apple let thier precious software to be allowed on other products or do they not allow it or worse yet, charge MORE for the use of it ?

If I had to start using Apple just to see my NFL football, there would be issues. (also would have to teach my 80 yr old parents how to use yet Another system ... not looking forward to that, they still don't understand streaming really)

So, they think its a Goood thing to make this move to have LESS people available to ?
Taking it off Traditional (Sat) TV isn't allowing more platforms to view ... (which is what this all STARTED as) ...

As a second thought ...
If Amazon does get it, I am an Amazon Prime member, so I already have Prime TV ... I would imagine ST would work from that base.

However, if it goes to Apple, I can see all kinds of issues, with the Apple vs Android situation.

I have android Phones and Tablets and even a Sony TV that works with Google (Streaming) ....
Does Apple let thier precious software to be allowed on other products or do they not allow it or worse yet, charge MORE for the use of it ?

If I had to start using Apple just to see my NFL football, there would be issues. (also would have to teach my 80 yr old parents how to use yet Another system ... not looking forward to that, they still don't understand streaming really)
I don’t know why you think Directv gives a **** if more or less people have access to it What they are not going to do is pay more money for a product they lose money on

What?

Amazon Prime has 153 million members, DirecTV only has 13 million and decreasing every quarter, how does that translate into less people available to?

Part of the sale has ATT covering there losses for the last two seasons related to it which is a lot
Yep, $600-800 million loss a year tied to NFLST and only 2 million subscribers to it.

Bad business decision in DirecTV/AT&T keeping it, especially since one of the reasons was that they needed ST to help get and keep subscribers, DirecTV has lost 7-8 million subs the last 4-5 years, so that did not work out so well.

Reactions: navychop
I don’t know why you think Directv gives a **** if more or less people have access to it What they are not going to do is pay more money for a product they lose money on
No, no no, the NFL is the one that wants it on multiple platforms, at least thats what the original idea was suppose to be.

What?

Amazon Prime has 153 million members, DirecTV only has 13 million and decreasing every quarter, how does that translate into less people available to?
I'm not talking numbers of people, I'm talking platforms as in Different ways to get the ST, THATS what the Idea was originally coming from the NFL, understandably so.

No, no no, the NFL is the one that wants it on multiple platforms, at least thats what the original idea was suppose to be.
I'm not talking numbers of people, I'm talking platforms as in Different ways to get the ST, THATS what the Idea was originally coming from the NFL, understandably so.
Once again, the NFL does not care about multiple platforms, in their entire history they have shown the only thing they care about is the guaranteed money and to maximize that money ( hence playing Apple vs Amazon against each other right now).

And when the ST does switch over, broadband access will be a lot better, so who needs multiple platforms, Amazon is everywhere.

• Sad
Reactions: Jimbo and comp9

As a second thought ...

They don't care about existing fans
They want the young millenials who have no interest in traditional tv

Reactions: comp9
It will be very interesting to see if there is an acceleration of folks dropping DTV after ST goes away.

Even if NFLST was on every cable/sat. service, that is only roughly 80 million subs/households, still 70 million less then Amazon, so if the NFL wanted to maximize how many people can receive it, Amazon is the correct choice based on pure numbers.

The other issue is, the only reason why NFLST is at such a high price tag for providers is for the exclusive rights, if it was on every service, it could potentially get less because it becomes a per sub thing, kind of like subscribing to HBO.

But I think this is a moot point, Roger Goodell has spoken, it is going streaming and I believe there is already a spoken offer in place with Amazon, the NFL is just trying to get Apple and Disney (ESPN) to jump in just to see if they can get more money.

They don't care about existing fans
They want the young millenials who have no interest in traditional tv
If they don't have those young millennials now, they won't get them at all.
Those Young kids are more interested in playing games in front of thier electronic device than watching anything that is LIVE in the Real world.

Even if NFLST was on every cable/sat. service, that is only roughly 80 million subs/households, still 70 million less then Amazon, so if the NFL wanted to maximize how many people can receive it, Amazon is the correct choice based on pure numbers.

The other issue is, the only reason why NFLST is at such a high price tag for providers is for the exclusive rights, if it was on every service, it could potentially get less because it becomes a per sub thing, kind of like subscribing to HBO.

But I think this is a moot point, Roger Goodell has spoken, it is going streaming and I believe there is already a spoken offer in place with Amazon, the NFL is just trying to get Apple and Disney (ESPN) to jump in just to see if they can get more money.
Unfortunately, you seem to think that they will LOWER your bill by getting it from another provider .... thats a pipe dream.
Amazon and Apple know how much D* has been charging, and Getting.
They may be a little cheaper in the first few years, but it will be just as expensive and rising after the 1st few years.

Status
Please reply by conversation.