DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I called and they wouldn't give it to me, haven't subbed in a couple years, retention offered $40+ in other discounts instead to get the bill down to like $120/mo.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

Just curious, where is that 20% number from? I got the (perhaps false) impression that DTV was giving NFL ST away for free to all their subs on the Choice package and up this year, not just to new subs on those packages. But maybe it was just some percentage of longtime customers who were offered NFL ST for free as an inducement to stay?
news story, here is one, found a bunch more via google-

• DirecTV pays $1.5 billion annually for the rights in a deal that began in 2014. It charges customers around $300 per year for “Sunday Ticket” but only earns around $600 million from its 2 million subscribers.

By the way, if the numbers are correct, AT&T has been losing $900 million a year, it is like ever since AT&T bought DirecTV, nothing has gone right.

Last edited:
Reactions: NashGuy
I think the suggestion is that it would be included in Prime. Which IMO is more likely than $300 / season. People again forgetting they don't need to make all the annual money back in sub fees. There's value above and beyond that and it isn't required to be a main pillar of their service the way it was for DirecTV at one point.

I think a $50-$100 fee for the NFL season would be impulse-purchase territory for even tangential fans of the sport, they would print money.

There is ZERO chance it would be included with Prime. All the stuff on Amazon channels like Showtime, HBO etc. charge monthly fees. Why in the world do you think they'd charge $0 for it? It isn't like having/offering NFLST for free would increase Amazon Prime subscriptions by much - because so much of the US already has it so they'd basically be throwing money down the toilet.

• DirecTV pays $1.5 billion annually for the rights in a deal that began in 2014. It charges customers around $300 per year for “Sunday Ticket” but only earns around $600 million from its 2 million subscribers.

It isn't clear what those numbers mean. Does that mean $600 million from just residential, or is that from residential + commercial. If the latter, there are far fewer than 2 million residential subscribers paying $300 per year.

I don't understand why you keep pushing this ridiculous idea that if 20% of Directv subscribers get NFLST that 20% of Amazon subscribers would. It is stupid on its face, and a complete fail at basic critical thinking but you just don't get it.

Directv is where everyone who wants NFLST has to go, while they've been losing lots of customers, so of course the percentage looks good. A few years back Directv had something like 22 million satellite subscribers, so back then they were at most 10% NFLST subscribers (since few people who want NFLST will drop Directv because that's the only way they can get it) So if you were making your claim back then you could only claim 10% of Amazon subscribers would get it. Guess it has become twice as popular over the last few years, right?

Reactions: SamCdbs
I don't understand why you keep pushing this ridiculous idea that if 20% of Directv subscribers get NFLST that 20% of Amazon subscribers would. It is stupid on its face, and a complete fail at basic critical thinking but you just don't get it.
I wrote depending on the price point, you make it the right price, you then attract even the fringe fans(subscribers), so yes, if they make it $100 they will get that 20% and maybe more, if they make it that $300 that DirecTV charges, it becomes a loss leader for Amazon, which they do not even need since they pretty much have every US Households subscribing to Prime already.

I did not know that you have a Business Degree that allows you to have such insight, I do and the main thing I did was future trends in business, had to do reports that went as far out as 5 years, did that for 6 years until I left to go into business for myself ( really hated being part of the corporate world).

Last edited:
I guess I would rather NFL ST go to Amazon or Apple than the docsis companies...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I guess I would rather NFL ST go to Amazon or Apple than the docsis companies...

I prefer it be available to any one, Cable, Sat or Streaming.
Of course your Cable, Sat or Streaming company would have to be able to handle the business.

OK. Well, $600 million divided by 2 million subs averages out to $300 per sub. Although I think the full price is about $400. But then there are cheaper plans for students. Seems plausible that the 2 million figure refers only to paying residential subs and doesn't include those getting it for free (all first-year subs on Choice and above, and from comments in this forum, it would appear a significant number of longer-term subs too). Not sure about that though. But almost certain that those figures do not include commercial subs.

OK. Well, $600 million divided by 2 million subs averages out to $300 per sub. Although I think the full price is about $400. But then there are cheaper plans for students. Seems plausible that the 2 million figure refers only to paying residential subs and doesn't include those getting it for free (all first-year subs on Choice and above, and from comments in this forum, it would appear a significant number of longer-term subs too). Not sure about that though. But almost certain that those figures do not include commercial subs.
All the stories I have read, most say DirecTV is losing $600 million a year, some say $600-800, so if the stories are correct, maybe they make $600,000,000 on Residential and another $300 million on Business, then the $600 million loss makes $1.5 billion

Without knowing how many Residential, Business Customers there are, how many pay, how get it for free, it is all a guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: NashGuy
I wrote depending on the price point, you make it the right price, you then attract even the fringe fans(subscribers), so yes, if they make it $100 they will get that 20% and maybe more, if they make it that $300 that DirecTV charges, it becomes a loss leader for Amazon, which they do not even need since they pretty much have every US Households subscribing to Prime already.

I did not know that you have a Business Degree that allows you to have such insight, I do and the main thing I did was future trends in business, had to do reports that went as far out as 5 years, did that for 6 years until I left to go into business for myself ( really hated being part of the corporate world).

Well if you want to start a diploma waving contest I have an MBA and a graduate degree in Computer Science as well.

Well if you want to start a diploma waving contest I have an MBA and a graduate degree in Computer Science as well.
Good, you can help Amazon program it and I can help sell it ( not really, I’m retired, want nothing to do with going to work)

It just showed up on my account page to order for next season for 395.94 for ST Max. I bet I won't get it for free for the third year in a row. I'm not paying that for it. I will just get the real Red Zone channel from Dish or one of the streaming services.

It just showed up on my account page to order for next season for 395.94 for ST Max. I bet I won't get it for free for the third year in a row. I'm not paying that for it. I will just get the real Red Zone channel from Dish or one of the streaming services.
This is something that pisses me off ...
D* goes ahead and charges you 8 months early for the ST ... they don't even know if you want it next year yet.
Also, I would MUCH prefer to pay it one time, not over 8 months, but no, they will take that 1 time payment add it to your account and they still show it coming out each month.

Make sure you get your $250 back from them if you don't get it next year, they rarely give you money back, but they will put it as a credit on your account.

Just checked im not being charged for NFL ST yet. I usually call in aug or Sept.

Total guess here (obviously) but I bet that DTV will offer it to you for free again this coming season. I read that when DTV was spun off from AT&T, they got AT&T to eat some or maybe all the debt remaining from the current NFL ST contract. Which frees DTV up to just use NFL ST as a freebie to retain as many of their existing subs as possible.

Reactions: dtv757
For the past 5 years I have gotten it free or offset by credits

Reactions: Jimbo
Status
Please reply by conversation.