DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I L O V E the term "dishmart" It sums up the basic problem Dish has going forward. Dish has always been "good enough TV". That has always been its market segment. And when TV was, at best, a "triopoly" that was a good business plan. DirecTV was there for people who wanted luxury TV; then Dish and whatever cable was where people lived. For many people, especially in grasp of the uncaring and crooked cable companies, Dish was a fine alternative.

Now people trying for "good enough TV" have lots of choices. The various services that stream some linear channels like YouTube Plus Live TV; just settling for whatever is on whichever streamers they have; or just buying an antenna, which can yield (for people who live near town) 35 to 60 channels including the major networks and lots and lots and lots of rerun channels. Or just watching the internet stuff that is free like freevee or tubi.

There all good options for "good enough TV". Better, IMHO, than Dish. I don't know that people who live so far out that the internet stinks and antenna TV doesn't work is a sustainable business model, and that seems to be all Dish has left.

Dishmart.

I L O V E the term "dishmart" It sums up the basic problem Dish has going forward. Dish has always been "good enough TV". That has always been its market segment. And when TV was, at best, a "triopoly" that was a good business plan. DirecTV was there for people who wanted luxury TV; then Dish and whatever cable was where people lived. For many people, especially in grasp of the uncaring and crooked cable companies, Dish was a fine alternative.

Now people trying for "good enough TV" have lots of choices. The various services that stream some linear channels like YouTube Plus Live TV; just settling for whatever is on whichever streamers they have; or just buying an antenna, which can yield (for people who live near town) 35 to 60 channels including the major networks and lots and lots and lots of rerun channels. Or just watching the internet stuff that is free like freevee or tubi.

There all good options for "good enough TV". Better, IMHO, than Dish. I don't know that people who live so far out that the internet stinks and antenna TV doesn't work is a sustainable business model, and that seems to be all Dish has left.

Dishmart.
Ok, which of the two Satellite Companies is putting out new equipment, while the other is waiting for the clock to play out, either hoping for a merger or to switch to their streaming service.

Reactions: navychop
Even if your numbers are correct, I think it is pretty sad that only .031% of the New York Metro Area watch the Yankees, imagine what the ratings are for the real bad teams.

Once again, sports do not attract the viewership as much as they think and should not get the high price tag they demand.

DirecTV has the most sports out of all the Live TV Providers, yet they still have lost at least 11 million subscribers in the last 7 years, Dish got rid of the RSNs, yet their losses are not as bad, Hulu and YTTV also do not have them, yet they are gaining subs.

If 400,000 people in NYC watch the Yankees (I'm using your numbers, I have no idea if they are correct) that's 3.1% not .031%.

You really have trouble with math I guess.

Reactions: SamCdbs
Well then they definitely don't carry YES. And as I said, only Directvstream carries it as a streaming service.
I said that they did not carry YES because they make more profit without it...only those service that prefer premium high paying customers carry yes...the cost conscience crowd go to dish or some bargain basement streaming service

I said that they did not carry YES because they make more profit without it...only those service that prefer premium high paying customers carry yes...the cost conscience crowd go to dish or some bargain basement streaming service
Since you keep calling other services names, Dishmart and Bargain Basement, is it ok to refer to DirecTV as old and a overpriced service?

And just because something is less expensive does not mean Bargain Basement, maybe they believe in not overcharging.

Sorry, I have YTTV, a service that has 1080P picture and DD+ on all the live channels, plus unlimited DVR with 3 streams ( no box charge), bargain yes, basement no.

Reactions: navychop
Since you keep calling other services names, Dishmart and Bargain Basement, is it ok to refer to DirecTV as old and a overpriced service?

And just because something is less expensive does not mean Bargain Basement, maybe they believe in not overcharging.

Sorry, I have YTTV, a service that has 1080P picture and DD+ on all the live channels, plus unlimited DVR with 3 streams ( no box charge), bargain yes, basement no.
People want sports but dish has lost almost half their customers..I remember when they had 14 million..and directv is in trouble too.but atleast they had 20 miilion customers..if your happy with your cheap alternative streaming service..thats cool..but sports fans really dont care

People want sports but dish has lost almost half their customers..I remember when they had 14 million..and directv is in trouble too.but atleast they had 20 miilion customers..if your happy with your cheap alternative streaming service..thats cool..but sports fans really dont care

Where I’ll agree is that sports fans will pay to watch their team. A few will pay to watch the league.

But, DirecTV has run its course. It was the lead service for a number of years for HD starting with the launch of D10. It had all the sports that were available by TV at the time, if you were willing to pay. For the home team, that was the RSN, which you were more likely to get in HD on DirecTV, back in the day.

Today, if you want sports, the only reason to have DirecTV is Sunday Ticket, and that goes away in just over 6 months. Most everything else is available from other places, some exclusively on a streaming service, like most European soccer.

The rest of TV is pretty much a commodity… you can get the same thing from multiple providers. You’d be a fool to pay more for it than you had to. Unless, you want Sunday Ticket this season.

Again, if people want their sports, why has DirecTV lost so many subscribers.

And both Sat. Companies have lost about half, Dish from 14.1 million to 8.22.

DirecTV from 22 million to now about 11-12 million.

Again, if people want their sports, why has DirecTV lost so many subscribers.

And both Sat. Companies have lost about half, Dish from 14.1 million to 8.22.

DirecTV from 22 million to now about 11-12 million.
So why has Dish lost so many more percentage wise when they barely carry sports?..

Reactions: SamCdbs and Jimbo
Where I’ll agree is that sports fans will pay to watch their team. A few will pay to watch the league.

But, DirecTV has run its course. It was the lead service for a number of years for HD starting with the launch of D10. It had all the sports that were available by TV at the time, if you were willing to pay. For the home team, that was the RSN, which you were more likely to get in HD on DirecTV, back in the day.

Today, if you want sports, the only reason to have DirecTV is Sunday Ticket, and that goes away in just over 6 months. Most everything else is available from other places, some exclusively on a streaming service, like most European soccer.

The rest of TV is pretty much a commodity… you can get the same thing from multiple providers. You’d be a fool to pay more for it than you had to. Unless, you want Sunday Ticket this season.
Pay tv including cable and dish are dying..cable is now a broadband provider while dish is fransforming into a bargain basement cellular company...directv trying to become a streaming operation..
In 5 years who knows what we will be watching but in the rural areas it will be satellite tv

Reactions: SamCdbs
So why has Dish lost so many more percentage wise when they barely carry sports?..
Dish down roughly 42%.-14.1 million to 8.22

DirecTV down roughly 45% 22 million to 12 million, if 11 million, then 50% of course.

Neither numbers include their Streaming Services, or in DirecTV case, Uverse.

Also DirecTV’s number is estimated based on not reporting anymore, but since they lost a million combined in the first two quarters of 2021 ( last ones reported), estimated based on that.

Not if you are a Yankees fan. YES is only available on Directv or Directvstream, or through the YES app which requires a Directv subscription to watch the Yankees.

Not if you are a Yankees fan. YES is only available on Directv or Directvstream, or through the YES app which requires a Directv subscription to watch the Yankees.
You are forgetting about Spectrum ( which you can also get just Streaming) and Fios if you live in the Area.

You are forgetting about Spectrum ( which you can also get just Streaming) and Fios if you live in the Area.

Don’t you have to be in-market to get the actual games? For those of us in the Midwest, wouldn’t I need the out-of-market package? I get MLB.tv free with my T-Mobile account. Why would I need YES?

That was the problem with the old DirecTV Sportpack… sure you can watch the RSN, but come game time, it goes dark.

Don’t you have to be in-market to get the actual games? For those of us in the Midwest, wouldn’t I need the out-of-market package? I get MLB.tv free with my T-Mobile account. Why would I need YES?

That was the problem with the old DirecTV Sportpack… sure you can watch the RSN, but come game time, it goes dark.
Hence why I wrote if you live in the area in my post that you quoted.

And I get the MLB Extra Innings package, they had it on sale the beginning of June for $69, could not resist at that price, I am from the Metro Detroit Area and now in Florida.

By the way, the Extra Innings’ picture ( via the internet) looks so much better in 1080P vs the broadcast equivalent.

Those are essentially cable companies as I mentioned earlier, or their streaming version.

YES will be available via streaming alacart in the NYC metro area and surrounding yankee fan areas soon enough..it was announced that they had a deal with amazon...right now its only 20 games

Dish down roughly 42%.-14.1 million to 8.22

DirecTV down roughly 45% 22 million to 12 million, if 11 million, then 50% of course.

Neither numbers include their Streaming Services, or in DirecTV case, Uverse.

Also DirecTV’s number is estimated based on not reporting anymore, but since they lost a million combined in the first two quarters of 2021 ( last ones reported), estimated based on that.
That 8.22 includes streaming customers for Dish...

Status
Please reply by conversation.