DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I think he is talking about Thursday Night Football?

Yes. Exactly. The announcement the other day was that they were ‘close’ to a deal. No deal was announced. Unnamed sources. No response for comments from either DirecTV or Amazon.

Reactions: AZ.
I wonder ......
IF DISH bought/merged with D* ....
Would they bring out new boxes ?
They would obviously be better than what D* has been bringing out ...
Fwiw, I have had Good luck with my Genie recvrs, as for the HR24's, they were good as well when they weren't 7-12 years old .... not sure how old the hr24's are, had 20's before that.
Before they got old (5 yrs and up i guess) they were fine.

edit: it looks like the HR24's came out in 2010 ... so those are 12 years old, I have replaced them both previously already.
i wonder who's system they would even run off of dish or dtv sats. iv'e always been told that dtv sats have a longer life span than dish. but who knows

Is TPG going to launch satellites?
TPG Capital is only in it to make money back on a investment, that is it, hence why they tried to start merger talk with Dish back in January.

AT&T still own 70% of the company, it was just a paper merger to get DirecTV off the books and some quick cash.

By the way, looks like the merger talks with Dish went no where, properly because Dish does not have that much capital and a lot of debt, everything Dish has is going toward their 5G network.

Also the environment is not good for a merger right now with the rising interest rates.

What bank(s) is going to think it is a good idea to invest and loan money for a Satellite TV company in today’s world.

Yes. Exactly. The announcement the other day was that they were ‘close’ to a deal. No deal was announced. Unnamed sources. No response for comments from either DirecTV or Amazon.
You are correct-

Amazon is reportedly in advanced talks with DirecTV on a deal that would allow “TNF” to be played in bars and restaurants, according to Sports Business Journal.

I’m not sure I’d say for sure that no one will launch another TV satellite. I just think it’s highly unlikely that anyone will.
At $400 million each ( designing, building, launching) there is no way DirecTV or Dish will, specially at their current subscriber’s level and that is shrinking everyday.

TPG Capital is only in it to make money back on a investment, that is it, hence why they tried to start merger talk with Dish back in January.

AT&T still own 70% of the company, it was just a paper merger to get DirecTV off the books and some quick cash.

By the way, looks like the merger talks with Dish went no where, properly because Dish does not have that much capital and a lot of debt, everything Dish has is going toward their 5G network.

Also the environment is not good for a merger right now with the rising interest rates.

What bank(s) is going to think it is a good idea to invest and loan money for a Satellite TV company in today’s world.
The only cash needed in a deal would be to buy out TPG's 30% stake in DTV. I think AT&T and DISH are both sufficiently motivated to get their sat TV services merged to find a way to make that happen. TPG is rumored to want out within 3 years, which would be by Aug. 2024.

Ergen confirmed this week what I've been saying, which is that any deal announcement is on ice right now due to politics until after we get past the mid-terms. I'm still sticking with my prediction that a deal will be announced sometime after this November's elections. They'll probably want to get the deal pretty much squared away before the next big political cycle starts -- presidential primary debates might begin by late summer next year.

I don't think either DTV or DISH will want to wait until 2025 to do a deal on the hopes that there might be a Republican admin that's more business-friendly and doesn't care about anti-trust. Both services are bleeding subs right now and times a-wastin' to stanch the bleeding by joining forces to eliminate each other's only direct competitor while also benefiting from improved economies of scale with regard of customer service, installation, and an improved negotiating position with local and national channels for carriage rates.

I don't think either DTV or DISH will want to wait until 2025 to do a deal on the hopes that there might be a Republican admin that's more business-friendly and doesn't care about anti-trust. Both services are bleeding subs right now and times a-wastin' to stanch the bleeding by joining forces to eliminate each other's only direct competitor while also benefiting from improved economies of scale with regard of customer service, installation, and an improved negotiating position with local and national channels for carriage rates.
I guess I don’t understand why this will stanch the bleeding, based on the numbers it is not like they are leaving one service to go to another, that was happening, but years ago.

Now people are leaving to leave, usually it is to give up on Live TV to go streaming, it is now affecting Cable Companies in a big way, usually they were safe somewhat from the bundle pricing, not anymore, Comcast has lost over a million the last two quarters.

As the news reports have said, this new wave of people leaving are because the underserved are finally getting broadband , Ronnie (former mssmith) posted in this thread that in his rural area, they are now getting fiber and Dishes are coming down.

At $400 million each ( designing, building, launching) there is no way DirecTV or Dish will, specially at their current subscriber’s level and that is shrinking everyday.
Its way cheaper now! Nothing to design more if they dont want, and payloads in space have never been cheaper.

DISH and DirecTV will never merge. The business model, in the past and yet more going forward, are just totally different. They are aiming at totally different ends of the economic spectrum.

Moving on from that and back to the ST discussion and side issue of DirecTV almost certain new role in distribution of TNF.

Understand just how different TNF and ST are as products. As easy as it is for people who do not frequent such places to spend other people's money and tell them to "upgrade" (change from an affordable delivery system that is 100% available and which works to one that many cannot even get and won't work for many more) that is really only a thing for TNF, which is one, lowest rated of the week, game. ST can be as many as 10 feeds, all at once, in many places showing up on multiple TVs each.

The cost, and amount of internet service needed for such a thing is huge, IF it is available at all. Or, simply plug it up to DirecTV. Which is what the public house segment wants, and needs. Which is why the TNF story is not surprising, but the coming announcement that ST will remain, at least for the public house segment, on DirecTV for the rest of this decade, at least.

I guess I don’t understand why this will stanch the bleeding, based on the numbers it is not like they are leaving one service to go to another, that was happening, but years ago.
How could you tell that folks aren't leaving one sat service to go to the other? DISH only reports their quarterly net change in sat subs, not how many unique subs left and how many unique subs added. And, of course, DTV doesn't report *any* numbers any more (although even when they did, those figures likewise were net change only).

Of course folks are still churning back and forth between the two. Admittedly, this is likely mostly in those shrinking more rural areas of the country where the two sat services are the only options for pay TV. But there are also some consumers who've had satellite TV for years, like it, and the first option they think of when considering dumping DISH or DTV is the other one, even if they could do traditional cable or something like YouTube TV (which might seem too different, too much of a learning curve, or is just something they aren't aware of).

So yes, combining sooner rather than later can help those two sat services reduce churn, which is very, very expensive -- installation, hardware, up-front promo pricing, etc.

I've gone through this thread since it was started, any chance the ticket will have a TV partner, like stay on DIRECTV, but also be available on a streaming service, whether Apple TV+, Amazon Prime, Google, or Disney+/ESPN+? Or are we looking at streaming only, cause my crap internet won't stop going in & out, got new equipment and all, still always going out, have Spectrum.

How could you tell that folks aren't leaving one sat service to go to the other? DISH only reports their quarterly net change in sat subs, not how many unique subs left and how many unique subs added. And, of course, DTV doesn't report *any* numbers any more (although even when they did, those figures likewise were net change only).
It is in their quarterly report, which was 156,000 new subs, so if DirecTV is still losing, estimated by the experts, around 400,000 -500,000 thousand a quarter, that still leaves over 300,000 in the wind.

I also think it is more logical that people leaving DirecTV would go to Dish then the reverse because of the price difference, specially that second year price, while Dish stays the same for 2 years.

So if Dish lost net 202,000 but gained 156,000, that really means 358,000 longer term subs left.

I've gone through this thread since it was started, any chance the ticket will have a TV partner, like stay on DIRECTV, but also be available on a streaming service, whether Apple TV+, Amazon Prime, Google, or Disney+/ESPN+? Or are we looking at streaming only, cause my crap internet won't stop going in & out, got new equipment and all, still always going out, have Spectrum.
Almost certainly streaming only, only carveout that's maybe expected is DirecTV handling commercial accounts - something reportedly in the works with Amazon for DirecTV to supply businesses with Thursday Night Football given the convenience of existing infrastructure. We're a little more than 4 weeks from Chargers @ Chiefs to open TNF on 9/15 w/ no announced deal though.

You've got a year of hoping in front of you for this to happen, but it's misplaced IMO, there's no interest on the DirecTV side without a massive shift in how the NFL conducts it's business - which is largely in exclusives. Most expect NFLST will become a streaming-only package 2023 and beyond.

For all those that wants Apple/Amazon to share NFLST with DirecTV so it can still offer it, did DirecTV ever offer to share it with anyone when it had the exclusive, why should Apple/Amazon be so nice when DirecTV never was.

Status
Please reply by conversation.