DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Not planned for 100% of the country, only for the underserved.

And I have it for my back up service, works great.

100% of the country does not have DirecTV, only roughly 9% , that means 91% does not.

And all this complaining about ST going streaming keeps missing a fact, AT&T/TPG/DirecTV did not bid on it, what choice does the NFL have, not one traditional provider, Dish, Comcast, charter, etc bid, the only ones who did was the streaming companies.
Thats because the NFL raised thier prices beyond astronomical levels.

This isn't good for starlink and sunday ticket

From the article

In a public notice that provided more detail, the FCC called Starlink a "nascent LEO satellite technology" with "recognized capacity constraints." The FCC questioned Starlink's ability to consistently provide low-latency service with the required download speeds of 100 Mbps and upload speeds of 20 Mbps. The FCC also cited Ookla speed test data showing declining Starlink speeds in the second quarter of 2022, "including upload speeds that are falling well below 20 Mbps."

From the article

In a public notice that provided more detail, the FCC called Starlink a "nascent LEO satellite technology" with "recognized capacity constraints." The FCC questioned Starlink's ability to consistently provide low-latency service with the required download speeds of 100 Mbps and upload speeds of 20 Mbps. The FCC also cited Ookla speed test data showing declining Starlink speeds in the second quarter of 2022, "including upload speeds that are falling well below 20 Mbps."

Which part isn't good? That just says it's new, not freely available to everyone yet and just didn't meet speed benchmarks.

Or have you seen somewhere that Starlink's future depends on this money... because I don't believe that to be the case.

They'll continue building their constellation(s), and almost certainly earn future allotments of the $20b rural broadband subsidy program just as they had in the past.

The current Sunday Ticket streaming product requires a minimum of 1Mbps, or 4Mbps for full HD. Starlink increased their speeds 38% YoY, from 65 to 90Mbps... or enough on average for 22 NFL HD feeds.

From the article

People are complaining that their Starlink service that was fast when they got it now drops below 1 Mbps at certain times of the day. Obviously they have been selling it to new customers faster than they can keep up with launches.

Given how poor Musk's track record is for promises, they probably never could come close to the speeds he was claiming even after they've launched all the satellites. He'll tell customers "don't worry, our next generation satellites will fix that" (but his next generation satellites need his next generation rocket to reach orbit, and it hasn't had a successful launch yet)

Reactions: AZ.
You mean making decisions on technology that does not yet exist, and thus many never be, and saying things like “well, in X years, when…” is wrong?

Color me shocked.

As it relates to ST, sat based internet never was an economically viable answer anyway.

Which is why I remain convinced that DirecTV will carry both TNF and ST, at least to the commercial market. The real question is do they keep it as residential, and it seems increasingly the answer is yes there as well.

You mean making decisions on technology that does not yet exist, and thus many never be, and saying things like “well, in X years, when…” is wrong?

Color me shocked.

As it relates to ST, sat based internet never was an economically viable answer anyway.

Which is why I remain convinced that DirecTV will carry both TNF and ST, at least to the commercial market. The real question is do they keep it as residential, and it seems increasingly the answer is yes there as well.
who else wants it other than amazon or apple:rolleyes. no other cable providers want it. we know that el cheapo charlie don't want ito_O

Color me shocked.

I am HOPING they will .... while Not expecting them too.

Reactions: JUCJ85
I am HOPING they will .... while Not expecting them too.
Same here, hoping, not expecting it, I don't get why the NFL is so set on streaming only, not everyone has reliable internet, and quite frankly streaming sports sucks, unreliable, hate how a lot of Yankees Friday night games are on Prime, not cause I have to sub, but because of the stream, have issues all the time.

There are way more people with reliable internet than there are with Directv.

Not in rural areas

He is still correct, 85% of United States households have reliable broadband, 85% of 130 million is a tad over 110 million.

10-11 million has DirecTV.

Guess which ones corporations care about.

And again, it is getting better, I live in a rural area of Florida, as I have said before, 2 years before I bought this house, Charter wired this area, before that, the only provider available is Century Link at the super speed of 3 down/1 up (and is still available at $75 a month).

Now since I moved here, Fiber is now in the ground and on poles, but not available as a service yet, can’t wait, while my down speed is gigabit, the upload sucks at 40.

Now since I moved here, Fiber is now in the ground and on poles, but not available as a service yet, can’t wait, while my down speed is gigabit, the upload sucks at 40.
In our rural location, in the last 4 years, we have gone from our best offering being 25/2 ATT to the cable company offering gig speed (50 up) to now having gig fiber.

I am anticipating ATT turning on their Gig service any time now, as the fiber has been in the ground a couple of years, and it is offered within a five mile radius of us.

That will be going from no gig plans, to 3, in a very rural mississippi county, within 4 years.

He is still correct, 85% of United States households have reliable broadband, 85% of 130 million is a tad over 110 million.

10-11 million has DirecTV.

Guess which ones corporations care about.

And again, it is getting better, I live in a rural area of Florida, as I have said before, 2 years before I bought this house, Charter wired this area, before that, the only provider available is Century Link at the super speed of 3 down/1 up (and is still available at $75 a month).

I guess we will find out where the 2 million sunday ticket subs live soon enough

Discussion of how many people have “good internet” versus how many have DirecTV are irrelevant. The number of people who do not have “good internet” and who, never will is significant. The number of people who cannot get DirecTV is not.

Status
Please reply by conversation.