DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I like Ourand, read his stuff and listen to his podcasts, but he is more of a critic than a sports business guy. More in his element when talking about Joe Buck’s hair piece or what Erin Andrews wore.

Anyway, clearly A & A are well below what the NFL wants, but Ourand just interjected the NFL+ thing out of his own mind. That is not happening. If the NFL wanted to go the route of selling it and being satisfied with what it actually makes, rather than have the exclusive provider lose money on it (and it is a metaphysical certainty that the eventually winner will lose money, simple math) it would have done that long ago.

As to DirecTV, it seems 99% certain that it will be a reseller on the commercial side for the same reason it has TNF. The internet just cannot get the job done. The only real question is if it also gets the residential side. Looking more likely every day.

• Haha
Reactions: Bruce
The article did not exactly say what Sam said, he is reading more into it like he did when he posted it looks like DirecTV would keep ST for Residential, based on the line in the story that DirecTV wanted to talk to the winner of the bidding.

This is what we know-

NFL Sunday Ticket deal still likely months away

The NFL Sunday Ticket negotiations seem to be generating at least a story a week. My sources say any deal still is months away.

My pal Tripp Mickle wrote last week that the NFL’s “most extensive negotiations have been with Apple.” He also wrote that the NFL has "signaled its frustration with Apple by reaching out to representatives at other media companies to encourage them to put forward a bid. ... But some of those companies have been wary of becoming a tool that the NFL can use to induce a bigger offer from Apple.”

This is what Sam posted-

Article says nothing about Amazon ( part of the A & A) or the bidding price, just that the NFL is frustrated, but that could be about anything, Commercials, length of the deal, etc.

It could be about money, since that is what other companies assume it is, or not.

Again, nothing was mention about Amazon, the NFL has been very upfront they rather Apple gets the deal because they want to spread the rights around.

We do not know if Apple is willing or unwilling to lose money on the deal, which is also not in that story.

No deal

As to DirecTV, it seems 99% certain that it will be a reseller on the commercial side for the same reason it has TNF. The internet just cannot get the job done.
The internet is ready, it is just the businesses are not.

The only real question is if it also gets the residential side. Looking more likely every day.
There is not one piece of evidence that would make that true

Reactions: Ronnie- and Yespage
You are real good at spending other people’s money. I know you said up thread you don’t go to bars, but try one. Say BWW. 20 HD TVs at once. 20 streams. Buffering city.

The internet for that isn’t available most places. It isn’t ready.

And the only evidence one needs to see that DirecTV will get the commercial side is that Amazon cannot even deliver one game, the lowest rated of the week to the commercial side. And as to residential side, the evidence is simply common sense. Why walk away from money? 10% lower ratings than when on Fox.

You are real good at spending other people’s money. I know you said up thread you don’t go to bars, but try one. Say BWW. 20 HD TVs at once. 20 streams. Buffering city.
Sooner or not that much later, they will have to upgrade, DirecTV Satellite is in it’s last 5-7 years or so of being a viable business.

AT&T/DirecTV has already announced they have launched their last Satellite, they are losing about 1.6 million subs a year and those birds up in the air will sooner or later run out of fuel that keeps them in their orbital slots.

There is nothing they have done in the last few years to show they plan on being in business long term, no new satellites, no new boxes and losing certain programming that will accelerate those sub losses
The internet for that isn’t available most places. It isn’t ready.
85% of households now have broadband, it is more available then you believe.
And the only evidence one needs to see that DirecTV will get the commercial side is that Amazon cannot even deliver one game, the lowest rated of the week to the commercial side.
They can deliver, again, businesses need to upgrade to accept that delivery.
And as to residential side, the evidence is simply common sense. Why walk away from money? 10% lower ratings than when on Fox.
Again, no evidence other then your feelings, Apple will be paying for a exclusive and that is more important to them, they will also have a lot more subscribers because DirecTV is only in 10% of households, Broadband is in 85%.

Reactions: meStevo
Sooner or not that much later, they will have to upgrade, DirecTV Satellite is in it’s last 5-7 years or so of being a viable business.

AT&T/DirecTV has already announced they have launched their last Satellite, they are losing about 1.6 million subs a year and those birds up in the air will sooner or later run out of fuel that keeps them in their orbital slots.

There is nothing they have done in the last few years to show they plan on being in business long term, no new satellites, no new boxes and losing certain programming that will accelerate those sub losses

Again, no evidence other then your feelings, Apple will be paying for a exclusive and that is more important to them, they will also have a lot more subscribers because DirecTV is only in 10% of households, Broadband is in 85%.
Umm directv is AVAILABLE to almost 100% of all households...broadband is AVAILABLE to 85% of all house holds

Reactions: SamCdbs
Umm directv is AVAILABLE to almost 100% of all households...broadband is AVAILABLE to 85% of all house holds
Sure, at a cost of over $2500 for 2 years.

Broadband/Internet is now a necessity in today’s world, DirecTV is not, proven by 10-11 million already have left.

Sure, at a cost of over $2500 for 2 years.

Broadband/Internet is now a necessity in today’s world, DirecTV is not, proven by 10-11 million already have left.
Actually millions disagree with broadband being a necessity..cable tv in general is drying up..too expensive

Actually millions disagree with broadband being a necessity..
And many, many, many more millions disagree with that
cable tv in general is drying up..too expensive
Actually, DirecTV has lost a much greater percentage of subscribers then Cable TV, bundle pricing helped keep them, but now the numbers are increasing, Comcast is leading the way with about a million lost the last 2 quarters, also starting to lose broadband subs since more and more have extra options, mainly 5G from T-Mobile and the likes.

Actually millions disagree with broadband being a necessity..cable tv in general is drying up..too expensive
Yeah, but we've got the Helens.

1664544465489.png

And many, many, many more millions disagree with that

Actually, DirecTV has lost a much greater percentage of subscribers then Cable TV, bundle pricing helped keep them, but now the numbers are increasing, Comcast is leading the way with about a million lost the last 2 quarters, also starting to lose broadband subs since more and more have extra options, mainly 5G from T-Mobile and the likes.
As of the second quarter of 2022, the number of Direct TV video subscribers was around 13.9 million in the United States

As of the second quarter of 2022, the number of Direct TV video subscribers was around 13.9 million in the United States
no, that includes uverse and DirecTV Stream.

From the end of the first quarter-
Leichtman Research estimates that DIRECTV lost around 300,000 subscribers across DIRECTV, U-verse and DIRECTV Stream. Since being spun out of AT&T, the company no longer reports subscriber numbers, which are now estimated to total around 14.30 million.

no, that includes uverse and DirecTV Stream.

From the end of the first quarter-
Leichtman Research estimates that DIRECTV lost around 300,000 subscribers across DIRECTV, U-verse and DIRECTV Stream. Since being spun out of AT&T, the company no longer reports subscriber numbers, which are now estimated to total around 14.30 million.

A customer is a customer

• Haha
I guess the party's over. I've received Sunday Ticket at no charge for 3 years.
Last Sunday, I sat down to tune into the Red Zone & early games, and NO Sunday Ticket. All good things must come to an end

• Angry
Reactions: John2021

i doubt that TGP will launch more birds at the rate customers are leaving them. they tried pushing the streaming version down my throat a few times. wich in my mind tells my they want to convert everyone over to streaming

they been f**king sunday ticket up :mad: :facepalm
I got an email from them saying they'd be crediting accounts for this, but I got it free so no big deal, don't use the online portion much, just want this deal to be done, just pick someone already, it's fall.

Reactions: John2021
I guess the party's over. I've received Sunday Ticket at no charge for 3 years.
Last Sunday, I sat down to tune into the Red Zone & early games, and NO Sunday Ticket. All good things must come to an end
You can still receive Sunday Ticket ....
Hit the buttons on your remote or pick up the phone.

Reactions: JUCJ85
Status
Please reply by conversation.