DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Does anyone seriously think Disney/ESPN wouldn’t jump at the chance to get Sunday Ticket for the right (or a reasonable) price, regardless of what they said in the past?

Any past statements were made when it was reported/rumored that Amazon and Apple were willing to drop crazy amounts of money for Sunday Ticket. That didn’t make sense for Disney/ESPN to try and compete. Now that Apple and Amazon deals seem harder to close, why shouldn’t Disney test the waters again?

Things change.

I also posted what the current CEO said

Yes, back in February.

From the same site you have that link from, in July that says Disney has dropped out-

What happened to this-
There not...i posted one from 3 days ago saying they were
Still waiting.

Reactions: meStevo
As far as Disney getting in the bidding for ST, it would have made some sense.

Since ST cannot make a profit, and can only be used to predicate access upon first buying something else, predicating it on buying ESPN+ would have made some sense. ESPN+ is losing money by the bucket full, even with the nifty accounting trick Disney uses relative to its college programming. So there could have been a sort of symbiotic relationship. At least ESPN+ has content sports fans, and sports bars (if they ever could solve the massive technical problems on the commercial side, which they won’t) actually want. A & A simply do not.

But I think Disney has decided to pass.

On a side note, Marchand and Ourand named Cheap Charlie the “loser of the week” and had a great discussion of the value of linear sports TV. I recommend it.

I would pay for it if I had to, and will starting next year, I won't go without my NFL ST and my 49ers games.

I don't care if it's Apple or Amazon, the NFL needs to just pick someone.

I agree.

This thread has been all over the place. The anti-streaming people sound exactly like the anti-satellite people did 20+ years ago.

I don't really care who or where it goes.

When it is off Directv I will drop them*. It is certainly not a "luxury" product to me.

*Unless who ever wins the contract sells use back to Directv for residential customers.(I do highly doubt this, though)

Reactions: JUCJ85
I agree.

This thread has been all over the place. The anti-streaming people sound exactly like the anti-satellite people did 20+ years ago.

I don't really care who or where it goes.

When it is off Directv I will drop them*. It is certainly not a "luxury" product to me.

*Unless who ever wins the contract sells use back to Directv for residential customers.(I do highly doubt this, though)
Not really..satellite was a rural experience...streaming is a urban/ suburban experience..rural people don't want to lose sunday ticket

Reactions: AZ. and SamCdbs
Not really..satellite was a rural experience...streaming is a urban/ suburban experience..rural people don't want to lose sunday ticket
Not really, you didn't have to live in the outskirts of town to have a Sat Dish.
I personally lived in the city and had a BUD in the back yard, plenty of people did ....
Anyone that didn't like Cable .... (that could afford it)

Last edited:
Not really, you didn't have to live in the outskirts of town to have a Sat Dish.
I personally lived in the city and had a BUD in the back yard, plenty of people did ....
Anyone that didn't like Cable ....
It wasn't as popular

History mode.

In the beginning there was OTA TV. Which was fine for city folk. Rural people? At the mercy of crooked, uncaring, truly evil cable bandits.

Then came the BUD. A godsend for rural America. And a way to deliver extra channels to cable systems that then turned their focus to the suburbs. But, being cable, they did the least they could do. Ghosting, grainy, garbage.

Technology advanced and DBS came. The whole concept was designed for rural America. All of its business planing was based on selling to rural America. But something interesting happened. It was so much better than cable that it became the fastest growing consumer technology product in history. Suburban and even urban dwellers dumped cable for the superiority of DBS. For cable it was “death from above”. And so very deserved.

Then came streaming which, for a while, allowed non-sports fans to avoid paying for the sports they don’t want. This appears to be ending. And everyone that wants to be streaming only, already is.

The point? Actually two. The DBS business model works even if it is just a product for rural America. Yes, it was, and remains, a great thing to dominate the market, but it still works out financially just as originally planed, in rural America. And cable, and thus the internet, in rural, and a lot of suburban, America is still garbage. It is what cable is all about. What is the absolute least service we can provide and still get paid for? It is what it is culturally going to do.

Thus, because no one else wants to, or even can, do the job of delivering entertainment to the millions and millions of Americans without access to that level of internet (and the millions more that simply have no use for it) DBS will continue for many decades. Adding in the total inability of streaming to serve the commercial side of things, and the customer base remains viable.

No matter what the ex owners of one of the two systems said.

Since when did "what the people want" enter the calculus of these billion dollar deals? Do I want 15 minutes of action on the football field saturated with endless breaks for commercials? No, but that doesn't stop the grossly overbidding for NFL rights requiring these commercials.

Status
Please reply by conversation.