DirecTv Local Channels in the Bahamas

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jgjhhi

Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Southeast
We have a home in South Carolina (with DirecTV service) and the Bahamas. We were told that as long as we have the same antenna (Slimeline 5) in both places that we can get all our channels in the Bahamas that we get at home in SC. We get everything but our local network channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) which apparently are in 119. Our neighbors in the Bahamas also have a home in Maryland and they get all their local channels.
Can someone please tell us how we can get ours (ABC,NBC, CBS and FOX). And we do not care if they are LOCAL.. we just want the networks!

Last edited:
The majority (close to ALL) locals are on spot beams. If you maintain all your receivers from both locations on one account then I doubt you will get any networks if your locals are on a spot beam; which they likely are, because the zip code is the info used to determine your DMA eligibility.

If you have 2 separate accts; then your Bahamian acct should be eligible to receive DNS service to the best of my knowledge.

What are ythe acct details?

We have everything on ONE account. Our neighbors also have ONE account (main account is in Maryland) and they get their Maryland locals. How would we go about getting a separate account for the Bahamas as the service is not set up there?

We have close friends in the West Palm Beach area. Many of the systems in the Bahamas get the Pa;m Beach locals. Would a Palm Bech address work?

Bahamas & Directv

Have/Are you able to inquire of your Maryland friends how they were able to work this out? Just sent you a PM.... Jack

Have/Are you able to inquire of your Maryland friends how they were able to work this out? Just sent you a PM.... Jack

Apparently it was set up just like we did. They brought their receivers from MD to the Bahamas and connected everything to a new antenna (just like the one they have in MD) and put in their MD zip code during the satellite set up process. Could it be that our locals come from satellite 119 and theirs comes from 101?

Am not sure how that worked... thought the spot beams were limited.

If anyone else could shed some light on how this works, would love to hear.

Where are they in Maryland and the Bahamas, and is your home near to them down there?

Our neighbors also have ONE account (main account is in Maryland) and they get their Maryland locals.

You might want to check this again - unless they are getting NYC locals for their local channels in Maryland, I GUARANTEE you they are NOT getting Maryland locals in the Bahamas... ;) ;)

In Maryland they are near Annapolis and in the Bahamas they are right next door to us.
We have been over there and watched their local network channels so we do know that they are getting them.

In Maryland they are near Annapolis and in the Bahamas they are right next door to us.
We have been over there and watched their local network channels so we do know that they are getting them.

jgjhhi,
Your neighbors should get the Baltimore locals, looking at the coverage maps the Baltimore HD feeds are listed on Sat D10 at 103, as there is not a spotbeam for the Baltimore area on D10 I can only assume the Baltimore HD locals maybe are carried conus?
I found a recent post on another forum saying that a Maryland account holder could get some of the Baltimore HD feeds in Florida at his vacation home....
The transponder map I'm using may be old or outdated...

What locals do you get in South Carolina?

Our SC locals all come from Savannah, GA (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX). We don't really care if we get these same locals we just want the networks.

Apparently it was set up just like we did. They brought their receivers from MD to the Bahamas and connected everything to a new antenna (just like the one they have in MD) and put in their MD zip code during the satellite set up process. Could it be that our locals come from satellite 119 and theirs comes from 101?

Regardless of which satellite your locals come from, they are on a spot beam unless you get them from NYC or LA. Putting the zip code in the receiver only tells it which channels to show in the guide. I don't see how they can get MD locals in the Bahamas.

Locals in Bahamas

I have the same problem. I would like to watch local channels in Bahamas. To be exact, Exuma, Bahamas. It is too far from Miami, to get the Miami locals, with spotbeam. I have a neighbor that has locals from NYC and if I have no choice, I would like to get those. I know that NYC locals go through CONUS and not spotbeam, but I dont know how to get it working. I had Directv change my installation address to Brooklyn address, but locals still not coming in. Is this only working with certain NYC zipcode/address? Let me know and I will have my address changed again.

The NYC locals will work with any NY address, but not all of the locals are CONUS, only the big four, ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox.

Then would you know why my locals still show searching for signal. I am using a Brooklyn, NY address as installation address. Any help would be appreciated.

Then would you know why my locals still show searching for signal. I am using a Brooklyn, NY address as installation address. Any help would be appreciated.

Can you post your signal strengths for all of the satellites?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)