Directv MPEG 4

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jappleboy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2006
Hello I was talking to a Directv csr and they told me that Directv was already putting out MPEG 4 . Is this true.:confused:

Yes it has been going on for a while now. All of the HD is in mpeg 4 (the older 70 range channels are mpeg 2, but they are also offered in mpeg 4), and many of the locals are as well. The plan is to eventually convert everything else over as well

Reading Scott's review of Eastern Arc for Dish, it is clear to him that there is little or no change in the MPEG4 sd channels and MPEG2 sd . I wonder when Direct goes MPEG4 on the sd side, will the pq be noticeably better??

Reading Scott's review of Eastern Arc for Dish, it is clear to him that there is little or no change in the MPEG4 sd channels and MPEG2 sd . I wonder when Direct goes MPEG4 on the sd side, will the pq be noticeably better??
Well, dish also dropped the rez down on their sd channels when they converted to mpeg 4. SInce D* already broadcast at the rez E* dropped to (ON SD ONLY), I would imagine we would see SOME improvement. I doubt it would be a huge difference though

With DirecTV's SD conversion to MPEG4 many years away (estimate 5 to 7).I would think that question will be answered then.;)

With DirecTV's SD conversion to MPEG4 many years away (estimate 5 to 7).I would think that question will be answered then.;)

You are kidding yourself if you think that D* will continue Mpeg2 on the SD channels for 5-7 years.
2-3 tops.

Jimbo

Don't believe DirecTV is going to be in a hurry to replace what 14 million receivers.:eek:

Don't think that amount is correct but I do know there's a bunch of them!.:eek:

I agree with your statement, but I do think they are making a concience effort to upgrade whenever possible, I still think it will be done in 2-3 years.
All the HD is available in Mpeg4 now and theres talk about moving SD to mpeg4 too, it will take awhile, but I see them doing it ...

Jimbo

I doubt if they will be distributing MPEG2-only SD receivers much longer, but they need to come up with a non-DVR MPEG4 SD box.
I may be mistaken, But I thought I read somewhere that all the boxes would be a form of the hr hardware sometime in the near future, with features not needed either taken out or disabled. I cant remember where I read this, I will see if I can find it

I may be mistaken, But I thought I read somewhere that all the boxes would be a form of the hr hardware sometime in the near future, with features not needed either taken out or disabled. I cant remember where I read this, I will see if I can find it

I saw that too .....
I thought D* had/has a Mpeg4 SD rec. now ....

Jimbo

I saw that too .....
I thought D* had/has a Mpeg4 SD rec. now ....

Jimbo

The R22 is a Ka/Ku MPEG2/MPEG4 SD DVR, I don't recall seeing a non DVR for MPEG4. The R22 is going to anyone where D* has lit up their SD locals on the Ka satellites.

The R22 is a Ka/Ku MPEG2/MPEG4 SD DVR, I don't recall seeing a non DVR for MPEG4. The R22 is going to anyone where D* has lit up their SD locals on the Ka satellites.

Thanks Rad,
I started to look this up, but ran out of time earlier.
If they make a non dvr version would it maybe be the D-22 ? (just speculating here )

Jimbo

This is probably what I had seen before also.

Not anymore DirecTV has released the R22 to all DirecTV SD subscribers.Also saw a post(DBSTalk) where a DirecTV subscriber got a R22 with HD enabled.;)

Best Buy has the R22s.:)

Not anymore DirecTV has released the R22 to all DirecTV SD subscribers.Also saw a post(DBSTalk) where a DirecTV subscriber got a R22 with HD enabled.;)

Best Buy has the R22s.:)
Wouldn't that make it a HR22 ?
Would go with the rest of the run of rec's and model numbers.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)