DirecTV multiswitch questions

AlphaWolf

Original poster
Aug 8, 2004
A while back I setup a dual satellite configuration at my house by installing two 18" dishes, aiming one at the 101w, and aiming the other at the 119w. I bought a JVI 35-TRDS8 5x8 multiswitch to do this (I have three dual tuner tivo receivers, so I needed that many,) and it worked just fine.

Originally I did this to also get HD content, but I didn't end up buying an HD receiver until yesterday. Nowadays however it seems that several HD channels are on the 110w satellite, so I went to best buy and picked up a phase 3 dish. I managed to get it aimed properly, but I ran into an issue that seems to be multiswitch related. The odd transponders don't seem to work on the 101w satellite, and transponder 12 on the C satellite doesn't work, but all of the transponders on the 119 sat work fine. I rewired the crap out of it and still couldn't get it to work, and I did some research and found that the phase 3 dish has its own a built in multiswitch (at first I assumed that it merely had a built in signal joiner for the 110/119 sats.)

That leads me to believe that the problem might relate to cascading, but I am not certain whether or not my multiswitch is cascadable. AFAIK though, and I am not certain about this, the difference between cascading and non cascading multiswitches is that the cascading switches send a 22khz tone down the line when they need the 110/119 sats on the other multiswitch. But the problem is that if this were the case, why would the receiver say I have a perfectly good signal from the 119 sat, yet the 101 and 110 sats don't work properly?

But, if that is the case and all that I need to do is get some tone generators, would anybody know of a good place to find them? And do they require any kind of external power supply? (I would have to put these things outdoors)

Or better yet, does anybody know where I can find a cheap older style phase 2 dish? (18"x24" with completely separate LNBs)

And one last question, I need to get additional HD content off of the terrestrial antenna, but unfortunately an indoor antenna wont get all of the channels I can receive. I understand that the fifth input on my multiswitch is for an antenna, but is it necessary to split the line or anything at the receivers end? I just don't quite understand the purpose of the receiver having one sat input and an additional antenna input.

Thanks.

Your 5x8 should work fine with a phase 3 .you need to put diplexers in before the recievers to split your off air and satellite signals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)