DIRECTV Names Michael White as New President and CEO

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I don't think there's anything wrong with the equipment DIRECTV has now.

SWM just became a mainstream install item, MRV will be released soon.

It's not like the receivers and DVRs are ancient technology.

I don't know why some people would think the receivers are soooooooo old. :confused:

I think someone mentioned something about wanting HD menus..
Really ?
Why ?
Are the SD menus unreadable ?
Gotta have those menu items in 1080i, or 1080p just to be able to read em'
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

SWM just became a mainstream install item, MRV will be released soon.

It's not like the receivers and DVRs are ancient technology.

I don't know why some people would think the receivers are soooooooo old. :confused:

I think someone mentioned something about wanting HD menus..
Really ?
Why ?
Are the SD menus unreadable ?
Gotta have those menu items in 1080i, or 1080p just to be able to read em'

The HR20 series came out in '06, it's now coming up to 2010, 4 years for a recvr that hasn't changed it's base software, is a long time for it.

While they are at it, lets make a new HD DVR that still HAS a OTA tuner in it WITH the ability to SCAN for channels.

Not everyone wants to pay D* money to get their locals thru them... I prefer to have the relibility of my OTA channels when the weather gets bad.

Try using TV Apps or Game Lounge. Its SLOW.

Take a look at the guide, looks like something generated off of a Commodore 64.

The receivers are like the equivalent of a two cylinder engine. Imagine how good the boxes were if they were running on a 6 cylinder engine.

The keep making new boxes, yet the engine under it all is still the same two cylinder engine.

The HR20 series came out in '06, it's now coming up to 2010, 4 years for a recvr that hasn't changed it's base software, is a long time for it.
While it came out in 2006 it is based off hardware and a design from 2003.

If the boxes had some more horsepower under the hood they could be amazing boxes. Just look at what they were able to do with the limitations of the box. Now imagine what they could do if they didn't have those limitations.

raoul- I was not attempting to debate the Dish vs. D* sports packages for existing fans of D*. I was making suggestions on what D* needs to do to bring in additional subscribers to their packages, how they should adjust them to attract additional revenue. None of what I recommended would hurt the die hard ever faithful no matter what anyone else has D* fanatic.

Personally, I admit, I am not a NFL zombie on Sundays. I support my home team, have n8ot only attended the games but have worked a camera in the north tower a few years back. BUT, it is not a major factor in my viewing budget. IMO, the NFL ST has two negatives for the non-Sunday NFL zombie prospect subscriber, it is cost and blackouts.

Sorry, but I don't believe blackouts are here to stay. One day they will be put on the negotiating table and one day it will be decided that those who PAY TO SEE THE GAME, don't get blacked out. When I said back to the locals, I didn't mean the TV stations ( sorry, I know the way I wrote it was confusing). TV broadcasting is done regardless of the ticket sales and local blackouts. It is NOT done by the local stations but by independent production companies who specialize in that type of sports casting. The come in from out of town most of the time and sometimes hire local people when they are short staffed, which is how I got on the job a couple of times. What I meant about NFL ST revenue going back to the locals was going back to the local NFL franchise team. It offsets the ticket sales money that is lost when the team doesn't sell out and creates a blackout. The local stations get paid just for the time they carry the feed by selling local advertising and insert time is granted by the NFL for that purpose.
Heck, I'm even going to go out on a limb here and suggest the NFL develop a way to generate revenue through PPV event sales through cable, and all sat and tele services. The secret to improving revenues is to develop additional ways of generating that revenue by targeting a new potential market, not by raising the rates on existing fans.

You were the one that mentioned Dish being on Directv's heals in the sports department. I don't think they are, or are even close. I gave my examples at to why. To your other point, you are right, if the local teams got money back, that could change their stance on blackout rules. BTW, my name is Chip, Raoul is just a screen name.

You were the one that mentioned Dish being on Directv's heals in the sports department. I don't think they are, or are even close. I gave my examples at to why. To your other point, you are right, if the local teams got money back, that could change their stance on blackout rules. BTW, my name is Chip, Raoul is just a screen name.

You're the expert on comparing Dish sports to D* so I concede to your opinion. FWIW- I have a relative who won't watch anything except sports on TV and when he was shopping I recommended he get D*, not Dish.

Sorry for calling you by your login ID. My real name isn't Don either, but you can continue to call me that. It's my public name. :)

On the equipment-

yorktown- I suppose it's all where you are at. If you know no better, then it would be reasonable to assume your equipment is adequate. BUT, I would guess if you are a member here at Satelliteguys.US you are not your typical j6p Satellite subscriber. Most here like to keep on the cutting edge of technology and as per 2010, the latest technology offers some major advancements in the DVR satellite receiver that is not a simple satellite receiver.
Today and in the coming year, satellite guys will be desiring a DVR that will feature, minimum-
1. HDTV DVR as mandatory with ability to record and watch more than one channel at a time
2. 1080p at least in some PPV movies.
3. unlimited storage capacity thru external plugin hard drives
4. Internet access with web browsers and dual screen and keyboard.
5. Ability to program the DVR from your cell phone or at least online.

Some additional features that will be desired are but not limited to:
1. Ability to "sling" the content to your cell phone, PDA or laptop
2. Ability to search online while simultaneously watching a program.
3. Allow for interactive connectivity
4. Of course, dual tuner and dual location access allowing one DVR to be controlled by two TV's individually.

These are just examples.
You may be thinking, I don't need any of that. This is true, but if we go there, you don't need to watch TV or even post here either. Come to think of it, you don't need a saddle for your horse to go to work, you can walk, hopefully upright! :) The rest of us want to be on the cutting edge of connectivity and we want our providers in satellite programming to have the latest equipment competitive in the industry.

Scott, as much as you like to blame the hardware. The hardware is not the problem. It is the inability to be able to write effective code for hardware.

Bloated platform, if what I was told is true which I dont know if it is. The core system is written in C/C++ and I said who the hell rights the core in C. Now the problem as I see it is Directv not going to overhaul the core systems. They banaid fix issues.

If the new HR24which we can assume is tivo based is running tivo linux with customer firmware instead of the dtv firmware ther a change of showing off what the box can do

I've said it a million times. The tivo HD runs the same core silicon as the HR2x series. The tivoHD does just about everything the directv box does including pc transfer to and from the receiver, mrv, internet swivel search, youtube, netflix, etc.

So its not the hardware thats the limiter. Putting out a newer faster box wont help, because you'll still have to do code stacks that work with the low common denominator. And as soon as they release a faster box with software that has more features, everyone will want dtv to replace their old boxes with the new ones.

Which is probably why they're going to intro a new platform that may be faster/better than the current ones concurrent with the tivo s/w release. Heres the dtv box with dtv code for $199 and $5 a month, heres the faster/better tivo box for $249 and $8 a month. You choose.

Try using TV Apps or Game Lounge. Its SLOW.

Take a look at the guide, looks like something generated off of a Commodore 64.

The receivers are like the equivalent of a two cylinder engine. Imagine how good the boxes were if they were running on a 6 cylinder engine.

The keep making new boxes, yet the engine under it all is still the same two cylinder engine.

Game Lounge....
I don't think anyone really gives a rip about Game Lounge.

Game Lounge....
I don't think anyone really gives a rip about Game Lounge.
What about the rest of it?

I am guessing you just ignore the rest of the issues the box has and pretend they are not there.

For me and many of the folks out there the worst part of the DirecTV experiance is their hardware. This is something they can fix... whats holding them back?

DTV has to know that we are feed up with their receivers. They prolly figure as long as their ahead of Dish, that's all that matters.

I myself would like to OTA and a dual tuner receiver for two tvs.

My grandparents would of switched from Dish, but DTV doesn't have that one receiver two room option.

You're the expert on comparing Dish sports to D* so I concede to your opinion. FWIW- I have a relative who won't watch anything except sports on TV and when he was shopping I recommended he get D*, not Dish.

Sorry for calling you by your login ID. My real name isn't Don either, but you can continue to call me that. It's my public name. :)

I'm hardly an expert on most anything, but most people do consider Directv the sports leader. No need to apologize for anything you call me. After all, I probably deserve it! ;)

Slow? its worse than slow. Its the kind of slow that makes you chuckle. I tried those 2 things a couple of times and just :rolleyes:

I can go to my computer and check the weather before the app comes up on screen with the HR20. It's a good idea with a lousy implementation. I'd rather they speed up the channel changes or a number of other maladies. Come to think of it, the apps are probably one reason why the dvrs are so slow with their regular features.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)