DIRECTV Needs a CEO -- Now!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm waiting one more month to cancell then it will only be the cost of a months service to do so. I like the programming but everything else has been an issue and my signal is dropping out yet again so I will be switching us over to fios and cancelling my fathers cox service and we will split the bill.

Yawn. The majority of the things in this article are not things that have developed over the last three months.

*Early cancellation policy
*Superfan costs $100 more
*Versus dispute
*No major HD additions

The only thing mentioned in the article that is new is the removal of Versus. And he makes it sound as though DirecTV just randomly decided to drop Versus for no particular reason. "For some reasons, most other major TV providers continue to carry Versus and have not hinted at any problem with Comcast." Yeah, it didn't have anything to do with a contract expiring and a new one having to be negotiated.

And... "canceling popular channels"? First of all, "popular" is a VERY relative term. And channels? I didn't know DirecTV had canceled any other channels?

The reason people at the "other site" keep saying this is all overblown is because commentary like this is overblown, but then it is posted on this site with regularity with the headline in all-caps as though it is a news story.

Now, end discussion about this particular article, and cue token "but there are so many complaints on the other site" responses.

We don't know, but since the games are all natively in HD it really dont make sense to the fans to charge them more to see the games in the format they were shot.

As I said before I have ZERO problem with them charging more for the broadband access, game mix channel and even redzone. But they need to be consistant across the board for HD games being shown in their sports packages.

I think the major problem is that very few people would pay for any of the other features. This shows they are trying to get every penny they can for the service.

It shouldnt matter anymore Curtis. Is there an extra charge for HD for the MLB package?

The HD games in MLB EI are a remap of the local RSN feeds. There is no extra bandwidth being devoted to separate HD feeds as is the cause with NFL ST, except in very rare exceptions when an HD game is fed from an RSN not already carried by DirecTV.

cue token "but there are so many complaints on the other site" responses.
Herry sorry but I guess sometimes the Truth Hurts.

I invite everyone to take a look at all the recent complaints about DirecTV at the other site. I don't tell folks to look at them here since they would say that we are bioed against DirecTV.

Wake up and open your eyes, something is broken and needs to be fixed.

Sure its not necessarly the new interm CEO thats the issue. But if your going to blame someone you start from the top, after all ultimately he is the captian who is driving the ship.

The HD games in MLB EI are a remap of the local RSN feeds. There is no extra bandwidth being devoted to separate HD feeds as is the cause with NFL ST, except in very rare exceptions when an HD game is fed from an RSN not already carried by DirecTV.
I don't see what they cant remap the locals which have the game on in HD to save bandwith. It shouldn't be hard to insert a Sunday Ticket subscriber flag to authorize them and remap them.

The only issue I see (and this could be a big one) is if those games are on spot beams. Not knowing DirecTV's spot beam layout this could make what I just said all a moot point. :)

Herry sorry but I guess sometimes the Truth Hurts.

I invite everyone to take a look at all the recent complaints about DirecTV at the other site. I don't tell folks to look at them here since they would say that we are bioed against DirecTV.

Wake up and open your eyes, something is broken and needs to be fixed.

Sure its not necessarly the new interm CEO thats the issue. But if your going to blame someone you start from the top, after all ultimately he is the captian who is driving the ship.

The truth does hurt, but random jabber that gets balled into the truth is just plain annoying. And that's my issue with articles like this one, and then ensuing pile on that occurs here.

90 percent of this article is about things that people could have been complaining about long ago. But now people are going to act like these are all new problems?

Yeah but now its all snowballing.

Look at the media that DirecTV has gotten over the past few weeks. Have you seen anything POSITIVE about DirecTV?

Something is broken at DirecTV and needs to be fixed.

Ignoring the issues and pretending that they are not happening does not make things better.

Don't you want to see DirecTV get better again?

I don't see what they cant remap the locals which have the game on in HD to save bandwith. It shouldn't be hard to insert a Sunday Ticket subscriber flag to authorize them and remap them.

The only issue I see (and this could be a big one) is if those games are on spot beams. Not knowing DirecTV's spot beam layout this could make what I just said all a moot point. :)

Yea but they remove the HD ppv channels, so are they really loosing out? No, they allready have had those channels allocated to this. How about this, sence NFL sunday ticket is about seeing YOUR team, why not just charge the price of the time slot that that PPV channel is taking for that game, IE: 5.99 per game. The cost then comes to just over 101 dollars per channel for the season. If they want to see everything, then charge them 400 for all the channels. The NFL could call it a Your team package or a home town package. Where you are guarenteed to see every game that your team plays.

Swanni is wrong about Versus. The only reason that you haven't heard any problems with anyone else is because their contract is not about up. I also remember someone saying Dish had a problem with Comcast about carrying Versus. I do believe that Comcast is asking an outrageous amount of money for a channel that is marginally successful at best. As far as HD channels, I am disappointed that the additions have slowed down. The only thing that can change that is if there is a sign of a mass exodus of customers. It has been said that D* wanted to slow down the growth they were experiencing. I believe they may be accomplishing that.

Yea but they remove the HD ppv channels, so are they really loosing out? No, they allready have had those channels allocated to this. How about this, sence NFL sunday ticket is about seeing YOUR team, why not just charge the price of the time slot that that PPV channel is taking for that game, IE: 5.99 per game. The cost then comes to just over 101 dollars per channel for the season. If they want to see everything, then charge them 400 for all the channels. The NFL could call it a Your team package or a home town package. Where you are guarenteed to see every game that your team plays.

Thats just crazy talk Bob. ;)

Good idea bob, but that would be a bitch to manage and I am sure the NFL wouldn't like it too much.

But the NFL already cut into the Sunday Ticket anyways with this new RedZone channel, for many this new channel negates any reason at all to subscribe to the Sunday Ticket package. Now Sunday Ticket is only for those fans who really want to see their team play (and that team is not a local team.)

Van all things have their problems and are not perfect. I personally have not had any bad experiences with Directv yet but you better believe that all these comments lately are making me double check my bill every month.

Hopefully they will get things back together soon.
This sums it up for me as well. My experience with D* has been overall very pleasant. However, if the things people say are happening to them were to happen to me, I would be raising holy hell too.

If something is broken it needs to be fixed. The EI deal, and renewing commitments for replacing boxes is ridiculous

Good idea bob, but that would be a bitch to manage and I am sure the NFL wouldn't like it too much.

But the NFL already cut into the Sunday Ticket anyways with this new RedZone channel, for many this new channel negates any reason at all to subscribe to the Sunday Ticket package. Now Sunday Ticket is only for those fans who really want to see their team play (and that team is not a local team.)

Yeah it negates the reason for people who don't have D*. For those of us that do have D*, we still have no choice.

ChrisK114 said:
Swanni is wrong about Versus. The only reason that you haven't heard any problems with anyone else is because their contract is not about up. I also remember someone saying Dish had a problem with Comcast about carrying Versus. I do believe that Comcast is asking an outrageous amount of money for a channel that is marginally successful at best. As far as HD channels, I am disappointed that the additions have slowed down. The only thing that can change that is if there is a sign of a mass exodus of customers. It has been said that D* wanted to slow down the growth they were experiencing. I believe they may be accomplishing that.
I recall that when it came time to renew Outdoor Life Network (OLN, the precursor to Versus) on Dish Network around the time the NHL started on the channel, Dish Network had a carriage dispute.

Seems as though Dish Network did not want to put the channel into the most-widely distributed tier; Dish Network wanted the channel in a higher tier. So from the time the NHL season started until about April during that season, Versus was not on Dish Network. It appears that when push came to shove, Versus relented, as it was placed on a higher tier.

Now, DirecTV no longer wants the channel in their most-widely distributed tier. They want the same deal as Dish Network. And this is somehow DirecTV's fault? After all, Versus showed the world that when demanding a better deal, they'll back down.

Yawn. The majority of the things in this article are not things that have developed over the last three months.

*Early cancellation policy
*Superfan costs $100 more
*Versus dispute
*No major HD additions

The only thing mentioned in the article that is new is the removal of Versus. And he makes it sound as though DirecTV just randomly decided to drop Versus for no particular reason. "For some reasons, most other major TV providers continue to carry Versus and have not hinted at any problem with Comcast." Yeah, it didn't have anything to do with a contract expiring and a new one having to be negotiated.

And... "canceling popular channels"? First of all, "popular" is a VERY relative term. And channels? I didn't know DirecTV had canceled any other channels?

The reason people at the "other site" keep saying this is all overblown is because commentary like this is overblown, but then it is posted on this site with regularity with the headline in all-caps as though it is a news story.

Now, end discussion about this particular article, and cue token "but there are so many complaints on the other site" responses.
You are correct. D* has been F'D for a LONG time .:rolleyes:

Thats just crazy talk Bob. ;)
I have suggested that package for years. D* could sell so many more subscriptions at a reasonable price to watch "your" team and probably make even more money but I guess the ST agreement with the NFL does not allow it. It really stupid, what do I care what Detroit or Cleveland does? Who would want to watch anyway? Only when your team gets to pound on them. :rolleyes:

Man Van, you are not kidding.

I was reading the other site and almost spit my drink out when the staff there keeps saying there are no problems at DirecTV, when their site is full of complaints lately.

You would think they would want to make things better instead of ignoring whats going on.
yep. i've posted some complaints over there as well. :eek:

I have suggested that package for years. D* could sell so many more subscriptions at a reasonable price to watch "your" team and probably make even more money but I guess the ST agreement with the NFL does not allow it.:rolleyes:

I wish they did as I only have ST to watch one team.

what is this gibberish????? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

:D just kidding bob! that will never happen. too complicated for D ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)