Directv Networking Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

beatboy77

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 28, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
If I have all three of my HR21-200's hooked in to my Gigabit Network via Cat6 cabeling, is it possible to watch shows on one DVR at another location.

I.E. - Lets say I have Burn Notice on my DVR in my basement and would like to watch it in my bedroom?

Thank You,

Josh

If I have all three of my HR21-200's hooked in to my Gigabit Network via Cat6 cabeling, is it possible to watch shows on one DVR at another location.

I.E. - Lets say I have Burn Notice on my DVR in my basement and would like to watch it in my bedroom?

Thank You,

Josh

If you have the new software and you should, go to the set up menu and selelect Multi Room. Name your DVRs and select Allow Sharing and you're good.

keep in mind that MRV is free in beta testing right now, but DTV is planning on charging for it once it is officially out of testing.

According to DirecTv's website, you can even watch your DVR recorded shows on a non DVR HD receiver.
However, on my H21 (Non dvr), I don't get the option for multi room. Anybody know why?
Both receivers are hooked to my router.

According to DirecTv's website, you can even watch your DVR recorded shows on a non DVR HD receiver.
However, on my H21 (Non dvr), I don't get the option for multi room. Anybody know why?
Both receivers are hooked to my router.

What software version do you have on the H21? Is it 0x4395? That is the software with the MRV option. If you don't have that software it hasn't got to you yet. It began rolling out on January 20th.

Not sure, I am not near the receiver right now. I will check tomorrow. But I am guessing that you hit the nail on the head with the software version. Thanks.

does your router need to see the interent for this to work? could i set up a router in my house just for the two receivers to talk to each other?

thanks

In order for MRV to work it isn't necessary for them to see the internet. If you want On Demand that's another story.

Last edited:
Do Both DVRs Need to be Networked?

I have two HR22s, both with the new software. One is networked the other is not. Do I need them both networked in order to make MRV work? Thanks!

I have two HR22s, both with the new software. One is networked the other is not. Do I need them both networked in order to make MRV work? Thanks!

Yes, MRV uses your ethernet network to send the content between the DVR's.

Non DVR H20

Will this sharing work with a H20 (non DVR) and a HR20? if so the H20 doesn't have an ethernet rj45 port on the back, can a wireless usb adapter work? Would like to watch recorded content in another room that doesn't have a DVR, D* wants to charge me $199 to upgrade H20 to a HD DVR , I don't want to pay if I don't have to...:confused: Thanks!

Will this sharing work with a H20 (non DVR) and a HR20? if so the H20 doesn't have an ethernet rj45 port on the back, can a wireless usb adapter work? Would like to watch recorded content in another room that doesn't have a DVR, D* wants to charge me $199 to upgrade H20 to a HD DVR , I don't want to pay if I don't have to...:confused: Thanks!
You're correct, H20's don't have a network adapter and up to now, AFAIK, DirecTV's not show any interest in providing support for a USB<->Ethernet adapter.

You might want to wait to see what DirecTV's upgrade offer is for DECA upgrades which is supposed to be a very reasonable price. I've heard that DirecTV would replace any receivers that need to be replaced to work with DECA so you might be able to get that H20 replaced with a H21/23 as part of that deal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)