Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Got the following in my email box a few moments ago.

Some interesting stuff from DirecTV. :)

HD DVR RECEIVER PRICE DROP SCHEDULED IN JANUARY!
In an effort to be able to provide the best HD to the most customers possible, we’ve scheduled a price drop in our HD DVR receiver from $299 to $199 – a $100 savings! We’re moving as quickly as possible to get this update into the system – so please be advised that this price drop will be effective as of January 10, 2008.

Details:
  • The $199 lease upgrade sticker price will be for all customers, both new and existing
  • DIRECTV will continue to offer a $100 instant rebate on all advanced products for non-fee paid customers – so new customers could potentially pay only $99 for an HD DVR!
HOT IN HD – HDNET MOVES, HD EXTRA PACK OFFER ENDS
The DIRECTV HD EXTRA PACK free preview will end this Saturday, Dec. 15; however, new customers signing up for this package can still enjoy it free for the first three months. Current customers with an HD receiver will no longer be able to view these channels unless they’ve signed up for DIRECTV HD EXTRA PACK. Note that HDNet will continue to remain in preview mode through 12/30.
Also, HDNet will now be included on all applicable programming packages that have HD Access on their account. In order to maintain the family-friendly content of their programming, subscriptions to FAMILY™ or BÁSICO™ will not be eligible. Please note that HDNet Movies will continue to be available through the HD EXTRA PACK only.

2008 NASCAR HOTPASS™ IS NOW AVAILABLE TO SELL!
Effective 12/12, the 2008 NASCAR HotPass™ subscription became available to sell to new customers! From now through April 16th, 2008, new customers can experience NASCAR like never before by subscribing at the promotional price of $40 – that’s over 70% off the regular rate!
NASCAR HotPass™ Highlights - also available in HD!
  • DIRECTV exclusive that features 4 channels, each dedicated to a different driver
  • Up to 7 camera angles per driver – with commentary, plus team audio
  • Customers with DIRECTV HD Access who subscribe will be able to see the action in HD
  • Billable in just 8 monthly payments of $5!
LOCAL MARKET HD & SD LAUNCH RECAP
On Wednesday, Tuscon, AZ launched the four major networks in HD – CBS, FOX, NBC, and ABC. Also, Phoenix, AZ added the local station MNT on channel KUTP 45!
Today, DIRECTV offers local HD programming in over 65 markets, to more than 70% of U.S. homes. As we approach the New Year, we will continue to show our HD leadership by bringing customers more of the HD stations that they want to watch!

Below is a recap of recent and planned launches. (Note: Subject to Change)

directv_lil.bmp

See Dish. It is not that hard to make an announcement. Let your subs know what the hell you are doing please!!!!

That HDVR price from Direct sure does seem inviting.

It will go there, but this is one of our ways of showing apprecitation to the pub members, first looks go here in the pub quite often. ;)
Cool. !! I kind of thought so! I just know their are tons of people who would kill for this info. I think a lots will be happy.And I'm sure some will complain!

Not a bad deal is right. For $99 I may buy another HR-20 and drop my R15.

Maybe you'll end up with the HR21 since dropping the ATSC tuners is probably how they're coming up with the $100 savings. I did see some posts though that say if D* isn't doing HD LIL's into your DMA then they'll try to get you a HR20.

It's still nice to see the price drop though, was ticked that D* removed the ATSC tuners but kept the price the same, runs counter to just about all consumer pricing models.

Maybe you'll end up with the HR21 since dropping the ATSC tuners is probably how they're coming up with the $100 savings. I did see some posts though that say if D* isn't doing HD LIL's into your DMA then they'll try to get you a HR20.

It's still nice to see the price drop though, was ticked that D* removed the ATSC tuners but kept the price the same, runs counter to just about all consumer pricing models.
HR-21 is fine for me Since I can't get OTA anyway.

Rats, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton doesn't have CBS or NBC launching. I guess I won't be switching quite as quickly as I had planned. I have to believe that Nexstar is the problem here as they run both stations (okay, the licenses for our CBS station are held by Mission broadcasting, but Nexstar runs the show).

On Edit: Hearing that WYOU and WBRE (CBS and NBC in WB/S) do have a retrans agreement for HD. Unknown why they're not listed...

On another note, did the release say anything about whether the $20 off per month promotion will continue?

Last edited:
That's a shame about Scranton. BUT, I'm surprised they're doing CW. Dish doesn't do CW-HD in any market, and the Scranton analog broadcast looks like crap on both Comcast (which doesn't have it in HD either) and Dish, so it's sorely needed. Question for DirecTV subscribers: are they only doing CW because they're missing two other networks, or do they routinely do more than 4 HD channels per market?

This message was originally posted for our supporting Pub Members, but I moved it out for all to see as it has some interesting news. :)

Happy Holidays!

Status
Please reply by conversation.